Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irie

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby irie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 am

georgina wrote:just dropping by the join this thread!
RD, splitter with an index of 4.46 (since index # seems to be all the rage in here right now).

good luck to all of you waiting on ED!

4.46 is hella good, if CLS is your top choice then see ya there next fall

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 am

irie wrote:
georgina wrote:just dropping by the join this thread!
RD, splitter with an index of 4.46 (since index # seems to be all the rage in here right now).

good luck to all of you waiting on ED!

4.46 is hella good, if CLS is your top choice then see ya there next fall

heh, well still (stupidly) holding out hope for HLS. congrats on your acceptance, and it would be awfully nice to be there next fall, too :)

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 pm

Why do some schools use indexes and some don't? It seems my Columbia report is one of the only reports with an index on it.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 pm

a.shoshana wrote:Why do some schools use indexes and some don't? It seems my Columbia report is one of the only reports with an index on it.

Only some schools report their index formula to LSAC, I believe. So they probably use some kind of indexing system, it's just not reported.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Ugh! They are not going to make a decision on my ED app until they see my fall grades. They said that I am still being considered for ED, If I wish. Do you all think this is bad or good?

I have a 3.45 but the last three years have been a 4.0 from Cornell. I went to a community college 8 years ago flunked out due to medical reasons (had two semesters with CGPA of 1.2) then I took a few years off and went back.

What do you all think?

This is just shocking. One of the reasons I applied ED was so I would have decision before the end of this semester, I guess this blows that.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 pm

swc65 wrote:Ugh! They are not going to make a decision on my ED app until they see my fall grades. They said that I am still being considered for ED, If I wish. Do you all think this is bad or good?

I have a 3.45 but the last three years have been a 4.0 from Cornell. I went to a community college 8 years ago flunked out due to medical reasons (had two semesters with CGPA of 1.2) then I took a few years off and went back.

What do you all think?

This is just shocking. One of the reasons I applied ED was so I would have decision before the end of this semester, I guess this blows that.

Sorry about that. Just knock your grades out of the park!

Did they email you about this today?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm

oneforship wrote:
swc65 wrote:Ugh! They are not going to make a decision on my ED app until they see my fall grades. They said that I am still being considered for ED, If I wish. Do you all think this is bad or good?

What do you all think?

ya i got it twelve minutes ago. I swear, if I have one more freakout over this whole process I am going to stop checking my email and mail until Feb.! that way I will know everything at once!

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:32 pm

swc65 wrote:
oneforship wrote:

What do you all think?

ya i got it twelve minutes ago. I swear, if I have one more freakout over this whole process I am going to stop checking my email and mail until Feb.! that way I will know everything at once!

On the upside, at least it wasn't a ding, and you probably have a decent chance if your grades stay that same (which would bring up your cum); if they weren't considering admitting you with a slightly higher cum, they would just ding you now.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:37 pm

puppins wrote:
swc65 wrote:
oneforship wrote:

What do you all think?

On the upside, at least it wasn't a ding, and you probably have a decent chance if your grades stay that same (which would bring up your cum); if they weren't considering admitting you with a slightly higher cum, they would just ding you now.

i suppose this is true :). It is still hard to hear anything other than "We love! come to our school!"

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:38 pm

swc65 wrote:i suppose this is true :). It is still hard to hear anything other than "We love! come to our school!"

Regent sent me an email to that effect this morning.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:41 pm

oneforship wrote:
swc65 wrote:i suppose this is true :). It is still hard to hear anything other than "We love! come to our school!"

Regent sent me an email to that effect this morning.

I spoke to Josh at admissions and he said it was a rather neutral development. I don't expect them to say anything else tho. It sucks because I really wanted a decision. Oh well, here's holing out for NYU!! They seem to be nicer to splitters anyway!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 pm

4.4 RD. We'll see.

Edit: typing fail
Last edited by kittenmittons on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:55 pm

can anyone give me a quick link to or provide some easy, reliable info on indexes? I have a 4.3 index @ columbia which seems about average...someone please show me the light

snap44

Postby snap44 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 pm

Do people think that columbia is going to send out more ED responses today?

irie

Postby irie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm

TheWire wrote:can anyone give me a quick link to or provide some easy, reliable info on indexes? I have a 4.3 index @ columbia which seems about average...someone please show me the light

go to lawschoolpredictor.com and plug in your numbers, then take a look at the 25%, median, and 75% indexes and compare to yours. if you are above the median index you are in pretty good shape IMO.

irie

Postby irie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 pm

snap44 wrote:Do people think that columbia is going to send out more ED responses today?

if they do (and follow yesterday's trend) it could be in the next 40 minutes or so... i think yesterday they all came out within 10-20 minutes of each other starting at 2pm EST.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Here is what I would do if I worked at an admissions office:

1. Call all applicants within a very short time, say, from 2-3pm, on a day. Then stop.
2. The next day, wait until 4pm, and call all applicants then.
3. Take several days off.
4. Friday, call more applicants, starting at 10am, stopping at 11:30, and re-starting at 5:30pm.
5. ???
6. Profit

alex1243

Postby alex1243 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Got an e-mail this morning saying they wanted my grades from when I studied abroad in the spring (they hadn't been processed when I applied). Given that my GPA was reasonably high for Columbia but my LSAT was reasonably low (171), and my GPA abroad wouldn't change my cumulative GPA by more than .01 or .02, should I be reading anything into it?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:34 pm

What do you all think?

That's actually somewhat common for them. There were definitely people last year who were accepted ED after the transcript update, even if there was hardly no effect to the cumulative grade.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

I hope other people are also stalking this page waiting for any word, and personal email hoping for exciting word. And then getting sad that this page has had almost no developments whatsoever.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Quick question: does Columbia abide strictly by the index number (or use a cut-off, etc.) or do they seem to weigh the index with other factors somewhat more holistically?

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 pm

pikalove wrote:Quick question: does Columbia abide strictly by the index number (or use a cut-off, etc.) or do they seem to weigh the index with other factors somewhat more holistically?

Conventional wisdom on TLS would indicate that CLS is a more numbers-driven admissions process. Who knows how accurate that is in practice? Not I.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

What do you all think?

That's actually somewhat common for them. There were definitely people last year who were accepted ED after the transcript update, even if there was hardly no effect to the cumulative grade.

You are now my new favorite person! Thank you for the pickmeup

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:57 pm

swc65 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

What do you all think?

You are now my new favorite person! Thank you for the pickmeup

And like I've mentioned before, these transcript upgrades seem pretty random. People with 3.95's were getting them last year. It might be a way of gauging interest, e.g. if you get serious $$$ at MVP or even in at HYS, you might not even bother updating your transcript for CLS.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 pm

I only just became aware of the index system. I have between 4.1-4.2. Is that at least a decent index? My lsat is median and Im just under their 25% GPA.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”