Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maudlinstreet

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:51 pm

swc65 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
notanumber wrote:My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you folk who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

Congrats BenJ! I'm also currently trying to decide between NYU/Columbia. It's really hard for me to figure out how they're different. Guess I have to just go visit.

haha, I forgot - they did that for me too! it's weird that they're so systematic about how enthusiastic they are :)

they did that for me too...doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of a personalized letter if all the letters are personalized the exact same way? :P oh CLS, you crack me up

Crap, I didn't get that! Maybe they aren't as enthusiastic about me :(

weren't you ED? maybe they only thought to do it later on :p

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 pm

No, they just weren't enthusiastic about seeing them...

Makes me wonder... autopen?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:08 pm

alright i am sick of LSN graphs enough to post. does anyone ever get something other than WL from a hold, or is this just another stepping stone on the path to WL->ding?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 pm

IAFG wrote:alright i am sick of LSN graphs enough to post. does anyone ever get something other than WL from a hold, or is this just another stepping stone on the path to WL->ding?

IAFG is on tls! I don't know the answer to your question.. just wanted to say hi :D

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
IAFG wrote:alright i am sick of LSN graphs enough to post. does anyone ever get something other than WL from a hold, or is this just another stepping stone on the path to WL->ding?

IAFG is on tls! I don't know the answer to your question.. just wanted to say hi :D

hi darlin :)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:12 pm

It's definitely not necessarily a prelude to a waitlist or ding, considering some of the people who were held (Bai, CoaltoNewCastle). I think it's a mix of soft yield protection and, "You're borderline, we want to see how many spots we have left after we admit all the people who aren't borderline (and HYS people start withdrawing)." That definitely allows room for later admission for the borderline candidates who were held.
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 pm

If it only led to waitlists, why wouldn't they just waitlist you? Also Bai was held and she's not going to be waitlisted and dinged if she shows how interested she is with her 180/3.8.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:15 pm

BenJ wrote:

It's definitely not necessarily a prelude to a waitlist or ding, considering some of the people who were held (Bai, CoaltoNewCastle). I think it's a mix of soft yield protection and, "You're borderline, we want to see how many spots we have left after we admit all the people who aren't borderline (and HYS people start withdrawing)." That definitely allows room for later admission for the borderline candidates who were held.

Actually, I'm still waiting for any kind of answer, from all the schools I care about. However, I got into Georgetown yesterday and the dean wrote, "Coal--Congratulations--I loved both of your statements, particularly the one about Tourette's--they were open, thoughtful and well-written. I hope you will go to law school at home and join us at Georgetown." I don't want to go to Georgetown unless maybe on a full ride, but I had been having serious doubts about my personal statement and this reassured me. That could just be autopen though. He probably sends that exact note to everyone!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

If it only led to waitlists, why wouldn't they just waitlist you? Also Bai was held and she's not going to be waitlisted and dinged if she shows how interested she is with her 180/3.8.

TBF, if Bai had 180/3.8, she'd be in at Harvard for sure. I think her correct stats are more like 180/3.65. I could be wrong about that though; I know her LSN says 3.79.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:18 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

i won't pretend to have the vaguest idea why schools behave the way they do, but those numbers aren't un-WL-able

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/clementine/jd

i don't think CLS really YPs

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19 pm

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

TBF, if Bai had 180/3.8, she'd be in at Harvard for sure. I think her correct stats are more like 180/3.65. I could be wrong about that though; I know her LSN says 3.79.

That's just what I recall her saying. It's possible she was just trying to protect her identity, I guess, but that would be lame to people like me who are looking at similar and better applicants.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Actually, I'm still waiting for any kind of answer, from all the schools I care about. However, I got into Georgetown yesterday and the dean wrote, "Coal--Congratulations--I loved both of your statements, particularly the one about Tourette's--they were open, thoughtful and well-written. I hope you will go to law school at home and join us at Georgetown." I don't want to go to Georgetown unless maybe on a full ride, but I had been having serious doubts about my personal statement and this reassured me. That could just be autopen though. He probably sends that exact note to everyone!

LOL! No, Georgetown is definitely personalized. And that's much better than what I got from GW--everyone else got a really personalized note from them, but I just got something handwritten saying I was "impressive". Well, uh, thanks, GW, you made me think my PS stinks and has nothing worth mentioning.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 pm

IAFG wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

i won't pretend to have the vaguest idea why schools behave the way they do, but those numbers aren't un-WL-able

Yeah +1.. i don't really think CLS YPs either

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:37 pm

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Nope, 180/3.79. I'm too freaking lazy to fudge my stats. I assume Harvard just doesn't like my face, or I unwittingly said something sociopathic or moronic or bizarre during my JR1. I try, but at the end of the day I really don't rock at not seeming weird. :P :| I actually messaged this Clementine a while ago to ask if she had any idea why CLS WLed her, but haven't had a response yet.... I went through and looked at everyone with stats close to mine who didn't get in, and most of them had late-ish applications, but her profile really worried me.

Edited for quote fail. Twice.
Last edited by BaiAilian2013 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
IAFG wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Yeah +1.. i don't really think CLS YPs either

+2. At least, there's no perceptible pattern of YP.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 pm

BenJ wrote:VCE! Letter dated 2/22. Submitted 12/29, complete 1/26 and all that jazz. So excited to have the NYU-Columbia choice.

Also, congratulations!! Finally, right?

Congratulations to blue too... sorry I didn't say so at the time.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 pm

blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
notanumber wrote:My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you folk who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

Congrats BenJ! I'm also currently trying to decide between NYU/Columbia. It's really hard for me to figure out how they're different. Guess I have to just go visit.

haha, I forgot - they did that for me too! it's weird that they're so systematic about how enthusiastic they are :)

they did that for me too...doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of a personalized letter if all the letters are personalized the exact same way? :P oh CLS, you crack me up

Mine had "enthusiasm" underlined too but had nothing like "we can't wait to meet you" on it. I guess that there are degrees to their enthusiasm. :P

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Congratulations to blue too... sorry I didn't say so at the time.

Thanks, Bai! :D I would be willing to bet my vomvelope that you will get one as soon as they process/read your LOCI

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:19 am

blue5385 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Congratulations to blue too... sorry I didn't say so at the time.

Thanks, Bai! :D I would be willing to bet my vomvelope that you will get one as soon as they process/read your LOCI

They're probably dithering over whether to give you a Hamilton or a Butler.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 am

Question for Wire--what the hell is up with your Lakers?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 am

Kronk wrote:Question for Wire--what the hell is up with your Lakers?

I'll answer in his absence. Nothing good. To be fair, they could be tired from playing back-to-backs.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

I'll answer in his absence. Nothing good. To be fair, they could be tired from playing back-to-backs.

You guys better start rooting for Golden State. Lakers are washed up. ;)

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:36 am

Kronk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

You guys better start rooting for Golden State. Lakers are washed up. ;)

I do love Golden State, haha. They've got nothing on the Lake Show though.

And don't look yet, but the game's not over!

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 am

CardinalRules wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

They're probably dithering over whether to give you a Hamilton or a Butler.

Har. Yeah, they can give me yours, you SOB! :P J/k I'm amazed by your T5 sweep. I figure the Hamiltons and Butlers will be long gone by the time they reevaluate me, but some merit aid would be nice!!

TobiasFunke

Postby TobiasFunke » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 am

Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”