Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ragged

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Held today via ground mail. After being rejected by Berkley and WLed by Penn this is a pleasant surprise.

I don't really have anything else to supplement my application, but should I send a LOCI? If so what do you think I should say besides "I really really really want to go to your school!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET ME IN!"

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Ragged wrote:Held today via ground mail. After being rejected by Berkley and WLed by Penn this is a pleasant surprise.

I don't really have anything else to supplement my application, but should I send a LOCI? If so what do you think I should say besides "I really really really want to go to your school!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET ME IN!"

You might want to mention the possibility of sexual favors as well. ;)

---

Yes, send a LOCI. Talk about Columbia's programs related to the focus of law you're interested in, talk about how much you love Morningside Heights/NYC, talk about how your desire to attend Columbia has only grown through further research, etc.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 pm

BenJ wrote:
Ragged wrote:Held today via ground mail. After being rejected by Berkley and WLed by Penn this is a pleasant surprise.

---

Yes, send a LOCI. Talk about Columbia's programs related to the focus of law you're interested in, talk about how much you love Morningside Heights/NYC, talk about how your desire to attend Columbia has only grown through further research, etc.

Thanks for advicve. Do I send it in as an addendum through LSAC or is there some other procedure? Also, is time a factor when it comes to LOCI?

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Ragged wrote:
BenJ wrote:

---

Thanks for advicve. Do I send it in as an addendum through LSAC or is there some other procedure? Also, is time a factor when it comes to LOCI?

Send it in before they reject you.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Ragged wrote:
BenJ wrote:

---

Mail the LOCI. You could email a PDFed version instead, but most people (myself included) seem to agree that a snail mail version feels more personal and professional.

Time is probably not a factor for held applicants, since they won't be looking at your file again until late March or April. But I would recommend sending it in sooner rather than later. It shouldn't take you more than a day to draft a good LOCI and send it.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 pm

BenJ wrote:
Ragged wrote:
BenJ wrote:

---

Mail the LOCI. You could email a PDFed version instead, but most people (myself included) seem to agree that a snail mail version feels more personal and professional.

Time is probably not a factor for held applicants, since they won't be looking at your file again until late March or April. But I would recommend sending it in sooner rather than later. It shouldn't take you more than a day to draft a good LOCI and send it.

I called to ask for their preference, and was told in a very it-doesn't-matter sort of voice, "Oh, email is fine." I did sign and scan though, rather than just convert, in order to send a PDF.

Edit to say, I agree that hard copy feels more professional, and I don't think it would be bad to go that route if you feel more comfortable that way.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 pm

VCE! Letter dated 2/22. Submitted 12/29, complete 1/26 and all that jazz. So excited to have the NYU-Columbia choice.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

BenJ wrote:VCE! Letter dated 2/22. Submitted 12/29, complete 1/26 and all that jazz. So excited to have the NYU-Columbia choice.

Congrats!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Forgot to mention, there was a short personalized note on the letter. Is that unusual? I haven't heard it mentioned in relation to Columbia before, although other schools did it, too.
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm

BenJ wrote:VCE! Letter dated 2/22. Submitted 12/29, complete 1/26 and all that jazz. So excited to have the NYU-Columbia choice.

omg it feels like you've been waiting forever (thought i guess you haven't). CONGRATS!! :D

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm

BenJ wrote:Forgot to mention, there was a short personalized note on the letter. Is that unusual? I haven't heard it mentioned in relation to Columbia before, although other schools did it, too.

You mean something at the bottom written by the Dean? I think everyone got that, though mine just says something like "Can't wait to meet you." maybe I'm just boring though :]

congrats!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:08 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
BenJ wrote:Forgot to mention, there was a short personalized note on the letter. Is that unusual? I haven't heard it mentioned in relation to Columbia before, although other schools did it, too.

You mean something at the bottom written by the Dean? I think everyone got that, though mine just says something like "Can't wait to meet you." maybe I'm just boring though :]

congrats!

Nah, I was basically the same, so I guess it's standard. I just hadn't seen anyone mention it here.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 pm

BenJ wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

Nah, I was basically the same, so I guess it's standard. I just hadn't seen anyone mention it here.

Congrats, numbers sibling. I hope I get my own vomit couture envelope soon.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

BenJ wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

no money, i guess? i recall your numbers were hamilton-worthy. well, i guess that means they're pretty much done with those.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

georgina wrote:
BenJ wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

no money, i guess? i recall your numbers were hamilton-worthy. well, i guess that means they're pretty much done with those.

Yup, no money, unfortunately :(

Makes me wish I'd submitted before getting my December score. On the other hand, my September score would have had me auto-dinged, so I guess it's good I waited. And who knows how they treat retakers with regards to named scholarships.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:49 pm

GRATS BenJ!!! :D :D :D

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

haha mine said that too...I guess we're not special enough to warrant personalized personalized notes? who cares though, I'm grateful to even have a VCE to my name.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Congtats to all who got in. And thanks for your advice.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm

blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

haha mine said that too...I guess we're not special enough to warrant personalized personalized notes? who cares though, I'm grateful to even have a VCE to my name.

My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you folk who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

Congrats BenJ! I'm also currently trying to decide between NYU/Columbia. It's really hard for me to figure out how they're different. Guess I have to just go visit.
Last edited by notanumber on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Congrats BenJ. :).

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:49 pm

notanumber wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you fools who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

Congrats BenJ! I'm also currently trying to decide between NYU/Columbia. It's really hard for me to figure out how they're different. Guess I have to just go visit.

Dean Iwerebon underlined enthusiasm on my letter, too. She must be a really excitable person :D

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 pm

notanumber wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

congrats!

My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you folk who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

haha, I forgot - they did that for me too! it's weird that they're so systematic about how enthusiastic they are :)

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Awwww... I'm not special :cry:

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:43 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
notanumber wrote:My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you folk who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

haha, I forgot - they did that for me too! it's weird that they're so systematic about how enthusiastic they are :)

they did that for me too...doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of a personalized letter if all the letters are personalized the exact same way? :P oh CLS, you crack me up

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:44 pm

blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
notanumber wrote:My letter said "we can't wait to meet you" but, unlike you folk who didn't receive truly personalized service, in my letter the word enthusiasm was also underlined!

they did that for me too...doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of a personalized letter if all the letters are personalized the exact same way? :P oh CLS, you crack me up

Crap, I didn't get that! Maybe they aren't as enthusiastic about me :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”