Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jimmyd11011

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby jimmyd11011 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Wow Columbia, are you for real? Nothing in the mail today. Complete since October. No word.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm

tm912 wrote:Hi everyone, I tried to do some TLS research on this but I think I am just getting more confused, so I am hoping someone on here knows what they are talking about...today I received a letter from CLS telling me I am being put "on reserve" until the end of May.

Is this the same thing as waitlisted? Is it worth it to stay on the list (they ask to respond whether you want to continue to be considered by 3/8)? Is there more than one reserve and any differences between them because I noticed the website says "first reserve"? Should I be sending a LOCI?

Sorry i know it is a lot of questions, but if anyone else happens to know more about this, I would really appreciate the input. Thanks!!

Reserve = waitlist. Columbia has their own fancy term for it. Yes, send a LOCI.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:11 pm

jimmyd11011 wrote:Wow Columbia, are you for real? Nothing in the mail today. Complete since October. No word.

+1

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Rand M. wrote:
jimmyd11011 wrote:Wow Columbia, are you for real? Nothing in the mail today. Complete since October. No word.

+1

+2

glad i'm not alone.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:18 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

+1

+2

glad i'm not alone.

I have got to think that this is just a mail delay thing. Surely anyone who submitted in Oct. is in this wave at least. It would seem strange to move into the 6th month without anything. Although, I guess it wouldn't be too strange since CLS is one of 5 schools where I am just hangin' around. I just want an answer. I am very satisfied with my current options and just want everything to be settled and get the deciding process underway.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Rand M. wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

+1

+2

glad i'm not alone.

I have got to think that this is just a mail delay thing. Surely anyone who submitted in Oct. is in this wave at least. It would seem strange to move into the 6th month without anything. Although, I guess it wouldn't be too strange since CLS is one of 5 schools where I am just hangin' around. I just want an answer. I am very satisfied with my current options and just want everything to be settled and get the deciding process underway.

i'm pretty close to NYC -- i doubt it's a mail delay, though I have no idea why they're hanging onto us. I guess I can't complain though -- I'd rather be here than on reserve, I think.

bodhis

Postby bodhis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:40 pm

I have got to think that this is just a mail delay thing. Surely anyone who submitted in Oct. is in this wave at least. It would seem strange to move into the 6th month without anything. Although, I guess it wouldn't be too strange since CLS is one of 5 schools where I am just hangin' around. I just want an answer. I am very satisfied with my current options and just want everything to be settled and get the deciding process underway.[/quote]

i'm pretty close to NYC -- i doubt it's a mail delay, though I have no idea why they're hanging onto us. I guess I can't complain though -- I'd rather be here than on reserve, I think.[/quote]

+1 except w/in walking distance

chinny123

Postby chinny123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 am

Wow that's ridiculous. I'm complete 1/12 and I'm already getting antsy!

hapate4

Postby hapate4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Rand M. wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

+1

+2

glad i'm not alone.

+3
I've been complete since October also. I was beginning to think I was the only one who hadn't heard yet.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:09 pm

so does anyone have any theories on why it is we haven't heard anything? are we splitters? do we have lower numbers but some awesome softs?

for me, i'm more or less exactly at both their GPA and LSAT median, so i don't pad their numbers in any kind of cool way. i do have some cool sounding WE though.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

gahthelaw wrote:so does anyone have any theories on why it is we haven't heard anything? are we splitters? do we have lower numbers but some awesome softs?

for me, i'm more or less exactly at both their GPA and LSAT median, so i don't pad their numbers in any kind of cool way. i do have some cool sounding WE though.

I'm below 25th% LSAT and about median GPA, URM, and I believe pretty interesting softs, but nothing spectacular. Complete since Oct, no word.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Has anyone tried emailing to ask about the long wait? I did back when the first wave started at the end of January and I was told that I would probably receive a decision sometime in February...

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:Has anyone tried emailing to ask about the long wait? I did back when the first wave started at the end of January and I was told that I would probably receive a decision sometime in February...

i'd vote to hang on until a few days into march - stuff could be coming anytime, i suppose.

LDC

Postby LDC » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:48 pm

c0rpusdelicti - when did you apply/go complete?

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 pm

LDC wrote:c0rpusdelicti - when did you apply/go complete?

11/04 and 11/20.

superberry

Postby superberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:50 pm

PapantlaFlyer wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:so does anyone have any theories on why it is we haven't heard anything? are we splitters? do we have lower numbers but some awesome softs?

I'm below 25th% LSAT and about median GPA, URM, and I believe pretty interesting softs, but nothing spectacular. Complete since Oct, no word.

I'm above both 75%'s, which we have all realized doesn't count for much this year. Complete mid-Oct, heard nothing. Decent softs. This blows.

emanon27

Postby emanon27 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 pm

I went complete in early November and haven't heard anything either. I'm median LSAT and 25% GPA with (what I thought were) strong softs.

I'm hoping that the longer wait means that we are some sort of marginal candidate (between acceptance and waitlist) but that's pure speculation / dream.

Also, is it true that Columbia mails the acceptance / waitlist / rejection letters to the permanent address?

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 pm

emanon27 wrote:I went complete in early November and haven't heard anything either. I'm median LSAT and 25% GPA with (what I thought were) strong softs.

I'm hoping that the longer wait means that we are some sort of marginal candidate (between acceptance and waitlist) but that's pure speculation / dream.

Also, is it true that Columbia mails the acceptance / waitlist / rejection letters to the permanent address?

Mine came to current address, not permanent.

hapate4

Postby hapate4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm

I went complete mid-October and am below the median LSAT but above the median GPA, with good softs.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 am

hapate4 wrote:

I went complete mid-October and am below the median LSAT but above the median GPA, with good softs.

Complete 10/21. I retook the LSAT in December, but I did not tell them or ask them to hold my application. I am going to NYU's admitted student event on 3/4-3/5 and it would be awesome to split the trip with Columbia if I am actually getting in. Honestly cannot believe so many of us have still not got answers.

YESLawSchool2013

Postby YESLawSchool2013 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:12 am

Last edited by YESLawSchool2013 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 am

So obsessing over CLS tonight actually made me feel better and here's why:

CLS accepts roughly 14-15% of applicants, which total somewhere around 8500. This rounds out to roughly 1250 acceptances each year, roughly 30% of which matriculate for a class totaling around 400. (I know numbers are rough, bear with me.)

For 2009/10 cycle, there are under 300 acceptances reported on LSN. UNDER 300. So at least for CLS, I would say LSN is only somewhat representative of average acceptances. I would go further and purport that the reported numbers are higher on average than the entire accepted pool of applicants because people who post on TLS/LSN are more obsessed with the application process and (in my own world) therefore have higher numbers.

I know there are about a million holes in my theory, but for now this is letting me sleep tonight...kind of.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:44 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:So obsessing over CLS tonight actually made me feel better and here's why:

CLS accepts roughly 14-15% of applicants, which total somewhere around 8500. This rounds out to roughly 1250 acceptances each year, roughly 30% of which matriculate for a class totaling around 400. (I know numbers are rough, bear with me.)

For 2009/10 cycle, there are under 300 acceptances reported on LSN. UNDER 300. So at least for CLS, I would say LSN is only somewhat representative of average acceptances. I would go further and purport that the reported numbers are higher on average than the entire accepted pool of applicants because people who post on TLS/LSN are more obsessed with the application process and (in my own world) therefore have higher numbers.

I know there are about a million holes in my theory, but for now this is letting me sleep tonight...kind of.

I'd caution against assuming the numbers of CLS admitted students on LSN are significantly higher than the average CLS admit elsewhere, but I think you're right to assume that Columbia still has a good number of acceptances to give out. Just looking at the number of acceptances on LSN last year vs. this year, Columbia has about another full page of green dots to hand out before matching last years total. Considering that there are almost certainly more LSN users this year than last, it's probably not too much of a stretch to assume that they're only a little over halfway done admitting people. That's good news for those waiting, I think.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 am

Surprisingly, there actually appear to be fewer LSN users this cycle than last. 32 pages of users come up if you search 2009-2010 with no criteria, but 44 pages of users come up for 2008-2009. There may be a lot of people whose profiles are private until all decisions are made, but they would be excluded from the school graphs anyway.

castellon

Postby castellon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 pm

After my H rejection last week and my S rejection today, I need a CLS to cheer me up! I would have chosen it over those 2 anyway, so c'mon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”