Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Held at Columbia Today

Via snail mail?

Yep, but I am in DC so it could have been delayed by the storm

Sorry 0L. Lame.

poprox

Postby poprox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 pm

It would be great if we knew exactly how many applicants Columbia has held this cycle. Maybe it's an extremely small number, and they'll take us before digging into the waitlist? Here's hoping :)

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:44 pm

agentdedalus wrote:
Jacinda wrote:The problem is I can only live in certain states--CA and NY being the easiest. Last year I got into AU's JD/MA in International Affairs, but I couldn't go because 1. They had housing issues like Santa Clara; 2. I couldn't find enough caregivers to move with me; and 3. The Medicaid in DC, MD, and VA doesn't allow me to choose my own caregivers. It was heartbreaking because I worked so hard to get in, and when I finally got in, I couldn't go because my disability stopped me. So if I don't get in, I might try retaking the LSAT, but someone told me it wouldn't matter I got 180 because they will give me a blanket score of 165 since I take an accommodated test ie double time with a scribe. Does anyone know anything about this?

I guess I'm somewhat astounded that both American and Santa Clara would admit you, and, provided your disability was the only matter keeping you from attending, not do everything in their power to ensure that you could do so. Granted, I don't know specifics other than what you've posted here, and issues like Medicaid are perhaps beyond a school's control, but, at the risk of over stating the matter, this seems almost in the territory of the ACLU. That may be a bit hyperbolic, but does anyone else have a similar opinion or take on this?

As to retaking the LSAT and having potential scores "lessened" because of accommodated testing, I'd be careful about letting the "someone" who gave you this advice deter you. While this may hold true for some schools, others will view it in the context in which you frame it, either in an addendum or elsewhere in your app. Schools touting holistic approaches to apps should be especially understanding, as would a place like Berkeley (good luck this cycle btw) where your undergrad affiliation with people who can speak to your circumstances might be particularly helpful.

Actually someone else told me I should contact the ACLU, but I didn't know what they could do. I mean they could probably help with housing, but not the Medicaid part. The American health system is just screwed up. It does not allow for people like me to go to law school away from my parents' home. See CA and NY are rare. They're virtually one of the few states to allow you to choose your own caregivers. I don't know if anyone is familiar with healthcare, but there are a shortage of nurses. Plus they get paid better in hospitals, and most think home care is boring. Anyways, that being said I could not even find licenced nurses when I lived at home near Berkeley. My mom had to quit her job to take care of me, which now she obviously can't move across country with me. So I would like to have actual caregivers move with me, but here's the catch. Medicaid only pays them $10/hour. Medicaid cannot pay they're moving expenses because no one like me has ever done this. Most people, who require 24/7 care, pay their own caregivers, but I obviously can't do that if I'm receiving Medicaid. So I am completely stuck and only pray for a miracle, which this would literally have to be. I thought the funniest part with American University was when they said they had never had anyone as disabled as me lol!

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:46 pm

jsarna1 wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:So even though Columbia told me that I can send a LOCI via e-mail, does anyone else feel more comfortable sending it in the mail? It just seems like it is less likely to get lost amongst everything else that is coming in their office if it is a physical copy. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

I sent mine via snail mail. I just think it looks more professional. Plus, I signed it, which I also think adds a touch.

My point exactly. I'm just also concerned about timeliness. I'll probably just pay for express mail, or something.

jsarna1

Postby jsarna1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:
jsarna1 wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:So even though Columbia told me that I can send a LOCI via e-mail, does anyone else feel more comfortable sending it in the mail? It just seems like it is less likely to get lost amongst everything else that is coming in their office if it is a physical copy. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

I sent mine via snail mail. I just think it looks more professional. Plus, I signed it, which I also think adds a touch.

My point exactly. I'm just also concerned about timeliness. I'll probably just pay for express mail, or something.

That's a good idea, although I'm not sure there is that much of a hurry right now. I just hate the informality of e-mails. Glad I'm not the only old-fashioned person here...

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 pm

held. boo-hoo.

keiko

Postby keiko » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:59 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:held. boo-hoo.

snail mail? mind me asking when it was postmarked?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Damn, that's discouraging, especially since we are basically numbers twins. I am in DC too, so I may have gotten the same letter today, or will get it soon.

Is held the same thing as waitlisted? I know that's probably been asked already, but it seems to vary at every school.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 pm

democrattotheend wrote:

Damn, that's discouraging, especially since we are basically numbers twins. I am in DC too, so I may have gotten the same letter today, or will get it soon.

Is held the same thing as waitlisted? I know that's probably been asked already, but it seems to vary at every school.

It is not the same as Waitlist. It basically means they havent made a decision yet

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 pm

yeah held people are second string behind accepted people, we are way better than you third and fourth string waitlisted/reserved kids, i am kevin kobb and you are mike vick, the difference is huge

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 pm

For those of you also on hold - does anyone plan on writing a LOCI? I understand doing one if placed on reserve/waitlist, but not sure the protocol for those of us who were 'held' since this essentially means they haven't fully considered the existing application yet.

I don't have new grades/job/life updates really since my application was submitted, so it would really just be a 'I would really like to go to Columbia' letter - is this appropriate now or closer to the April decision date?

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

runnerman wrote:For those of you also on hold - does anyone plan on writing a LOCI? I understand doing one if placed on reserve/waitlist, but not sure the protocol for those of us who were 'held' since this essentially means they haven't fully considered the existing application yet.

I don't have new grades/job/life updates really since my application was submitted, so it would really just be a 'I would really like to go to Columbia' letter - is this appropriate now or closer to the April decision date?

Can only speak for sure about myself, but I think the general consensus is that you can write an LOCI once you've been placed on hold. By holding you they're seeing what you look like in comparison to the entire applicant pool, so if you have something to say that might improve you in their estimation, I would do it (even if its just reassuring them how much you want to go, although probably irrelevant in this particular case). I'm going to send one in as soon as I can find the time to write it.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:52 pm

I never thought I'd be posting in here, but I just got put on reserve via snailmail postmarked Feb 10. I'm a 171/3.56 (non-URM). One of the addcomms must have really liked something in my application to save me from the auto-ding pile.

Also: is there really no difference between the Columbia waitlist and reserve group? The letter actually came with two parts, the first telling me that I was put on reserve, and the second was an entire separate page about how reserve was not a waitlist.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

$1.99 wrote:yeah held people are second string behind accepted people, we are way better than you third and fourth string waitlisted/reserved kids, i am kevin kobb and you are mike vick, the difference is huge

credited analogy.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Waitlisted today.

I guess i can add being waitlisted by a top 3 new york city law school to my resume.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 pm

BlueCivic wrote:Waitlisted today.

I guess i can add being waitlisted by a top 3 new york city law school to my resume.

blatant anti-stanford trolling, or EGREGIOUS pro-NYU/Fordham trolling?

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:

Sorry, top 3 in nyc. I think everyone agrees that its one of the top three there.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm

BlueCivic wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:

Sorry, top 3 in nyc. I think everyone agrees that its one of the top three there.

*whoosh*

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:14 pm

BlueCivic wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:

Well, I'd certainly say Columbia is one of the top five NYC law schools...

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
BlueCivic wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:

Well, I'd certainly say Columbia is one of the top five NYC law schools...

at a minimum, I would say it's in the top 100 in the nation.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm

At a minimum.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:27 pm

I think Columbia might actually be tentatively accredited by the ABA. I'll get back to you on it.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

In the least hijacking manner...Held today in CA

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Kronk wrote:I think Columbia might actually be tentatively accredited by the ABA. I'll get back to you on it.

? you find out the answer yet? i want to know whether i should withdraw or not

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Kronk wrote:I think Columbia might actually be tentatively accredited by the ABA. I'll get back to you on it.

? you find out the answer yet? i want to know whether i should withdraw or not

+1 am also curious about this

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”