Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jacinda

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Jacinda » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Can someone give a shot at why I was held with a 3.5/163? Why not just reject me?

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Haven't been following this thread much. Has anyone with a relatively low index been accepted RD yet? I'm curious if my chance at a miracle is closer to 0% or, say, 20-25%.

Someone mentioned being accepted with a 4.2 index earlier ITT. I don't remember who exactly though, sorry.

Thanks for the response. Hoping for some resolution soon-ish. A WL from Columbia would have to be considered a win at this point. But I'd almost rather be put down sooner.

I got in with ~4.3 index. A couple of others with 170 and 3.8-3.9 have gotten in as well. Parker09 is one of the few 169s that got in.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
To tell the truth I didn't get a chance to speak with that many other admits. I was in a small tour group and sat at a table with three other admits and a few administrators and professors. The one thing that stands out the most was the kid who used the word "douchebag" when speaking to the dean of admissions. I don't know really what in particular struck me about the other admits I met, no real general trend besides a general 'nothing specialness.' I liked the school a lot though. I think I just got a kinda bad group. The table of stanford and yale kids (who all seemed to know each other) next to mine seemed better. I think I'll end up at CLS so I don't think I'm being a pretentious ass or anything; I mean I spent the whole time there wearing some pretty heavy rose tinted glasses so its not like I was trying to find something to complain about. Still, I couldn't help thinking of my friends at YLS talking about how impressed they were by the brilliance of the admits they met during their admitted students weekend. I had a great time overall and was impressed by lots of things. I just was somewhat disappointed in the other admits I met.

It's possible that people you were with were just shy or nervous; the admitted student events can be kind of awkward. I really, really like most of the 1Ls here, and am impressed with how intelligent most of my classmates are. I think you'll change your mind about your classmates if you actually end up attending CLS.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:49 pm

protokurios wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Haven't been following this thread much. Has anyone with a relatively low index been accepted RD yet? I'm curious if my chance at a miracle is closer to 0% or, say, 20-25%.

Someone mentioned being accepted with a 4.2 index earlier ITT. I don't remember who exactly though, sorry.

Thanks for the response. Hoping for some resolution soon-ish. A WL from Columbia would have to be considered a win at this point. But I'd almost rather be put down sooner.

I got in with ~4.3 index. A couple of others with 170 and 3.8-3.9 have gotten in as well. Parker09 is one of the few 169s that got in.

yeah i got in with a 170 (retake from a low-160s).
Last edited by bloodonthetracks on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jsarna1

Postby jsarna1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:51 pm

protokurios wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Would someone mind explaining the index please? It's been awhile.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

jsarna1 wrote:
protokurios wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Would someone mind explaining the index please? It's been awhile.

Some schools list an index which your LSAT and GPA help form. Certain schools look for certain index combinations when looking at who to accept.

jsarna1

Postby jsarna1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if I actually have a chance here. On Law School Numbers, a lot of people with better numbers were waitlisted or rejected and I was put on hold. Not sure what that really signifies if anything.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Jacinda wrote:Can someone give a shot at why I was held with a 3.5/163? Why not just reject me?

Well, your softs sounded pretty stellar to me, and didn't you say you're a URM?

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:19 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:Can someone give a shot at why I was held with a 3.5/163? Why not just reject me?

Yes to URM but what's a soft?

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Any part of your application that isn't GPA or LSAT score (work experience, life experience, accomplishments and awards, etc.)

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Genki wrote:
Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Any part of your application that isn't GPA or LSAT score (work experience, life experience, accomplishments and awards, etc.)

O, do those really count? Cornell, Berkeley, Hastings, and UCLA rejected me. So I was considering Santa Clara as a last resort, but they don't have accessible housing. They said I'd have to live half an hour away by car. I guess I'm officially rejected from own state lol! Now CLS is my only option. Otherwise no law school for me. eeeek!

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Jacinda wrote:
O, do those really count? Cornell, Berkeley, Hastings, and UCLA rejected me. So I was considering Santa Clara as a last resort, but they don't have accessible housing. They said I'd have to live half an hour away by car. I guess I'm officially rejected from own state lol! Now CLS is my only option. Otherwise no law school for me. eeeek!

For most people they don't count for very much, but the legal memo, background in journalism, and such sounded impressive to me. Maybe not game-changing, but better than most people's softs.

Here's a second thought, though - if you're applying to a joint MS/JD program, would the law school need to keep your application longer to wait for the verdict of the journalism school, or anything like that? I believe most universities consider them separately and render separate decisions in their own time, but I don't know for sure.

And here's a final thought - yikes! Maybe you should throw out applications to a couple of safeties, if the deadlines haven't passed?

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:54 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:

For most people they don't count for very much, but the legal memo, background in journalism, and such sounded impressive to me. Maybe not game-changing, but better than most people's softs.

Here's a second thought, though - if you're applying to a joint MS/JD program, would the law school need to keep your application longer to wait for the verdict of the journalism school, or anything like that? I believe most universities consider them separately and render separate decisions in their own time, but I don't know for sure.

And here's a final thought - yikes! Maybe you should throw out applications to a couple of safeties, if the deadlines haven't passed?

Yeah, I was thinking the same about waiting because the journalism school's decisions don't come out till end of March/early April. I had to take an entrance exam to the journalism school. Each person had an individual proctor that is kind of like a scout for the school. She said she thought I would get into the journalism school. So I don't know. I'm just anxious because if I go, there's a lot I have to arrange like Medicaid transfers, training caregivers, arranging transportation. I don't know if I can do that in four months.

agentdedalus

Postby agentdedalus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 am

Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same about waiting because the journalism school's decisions don't come out till end of March/early April. I had to take an entrance exam to the journalism school. Each person had an individual proctor that is kind of like a scout for the school. She said she thought I would get into the journalism school. So I don't know. I'm just anxious because if I go, there's a lot I have to arrange like Medicaid transfers, training caregivers, arranging transportation. I don't know if I can do that in four months.

Jacinda, if you feel rushed you might consider waiting until next cycle, and really hone your application in the meantime (maybe even retake the LSAT in a bid to raise your score if that's possible?) It may seem like a long time away, but considering it's mid Feb and many applications are available in September, that's less than 7 months wait to start again, and you might benefit from applying super early (assuming you did not this cycle.)

But if you're set on starting in the Fall, I agree with BaiAilian, you might want to send in more apps stat! There are a number of T30 schools that have extended their deadlines, so you might spend some time calling potential back-ups to inquire.

Then again, here's hoping for CLS... might see you there!

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 am

agentdedalus wrote:
Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:

Jacinda, if you feel rushed you might consider waiting until next cycle, and really hone your application in the meantime (maybe even retake the LSAT in a bid to raise your score if that's possible?) It may seem like a long time away, but considering it's mid Feb and many applications are available in September, that's less than 7 months wait to start again, and you might benefit from applying super early (assuming you did not this cycle.)

But if you're set on starting in the Fall, I agree with BaiAilian, you might want to send in more apps stat! There are a number of T30 schools that have extended their deadlines, so you might spend some time calling potential back-ups to inquire.

Then again, here's hoping for CLS... might see you there!

The problem is I can only live in certain states--CA and NY being the easiest. Last year I got into AU's JD/MA in International Affairs, but I couldn't go because 1. They had housing issues like Santa Clara; 2. I couldn't find enough caregivers to move with me; and 3. The Medicaid in DC, MD, and VA doesn't allow me to choose my own caregivers. It was heartbreaking because I worked so hard to get in, and when I finally got in, I couldn't go because my disability stopped me. So if I don't get in, I might try retaking the LSAT, but someone told me it wouldn't matter I got 180 because they will give me a blanket score of 165 since I take an accommodated test ie double time with a scribe. Does anyone know anything about this?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 am

protokurios wrote:I got in with ~4.3 index. A couple of others with 170 and 3.8-3.9 have gotten in as well. Parker09 is one of the few 169s that got in.

Hi!
My 169 was after a mid-160s retake, too. Total surprise acceptance. I'm going to guess it was more the exception than the rule, but I don't think I've got anything really special going on softs-wise, so who knows.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:48 am

parker09 wrote:
protokurios wrote:I got in with ~4.3 index. A couple of others with 170 and 3.8-3.9 have gotten in as well. Parker09 is one of the few 169s that got in.

Hi!
My 169 was after a mid-160s retake, too. Total surprise acceptance. I'm going to guess it was more the exception than the rule, but I don't think I've got anything really special going on softs-wise, so who knows.

Well, you also got into Chicago, so you must have something going for you in the softs department. You've had an interesting cycle, overall.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 am

Dignan wrote:
parker09 wrote:

Hi!

Well, you also got into Chicago, so you must have something going for you in the softs department. You've had an interesting cycle, overall.

Yeah.
%$#@& Penn waitlist

agentdedalus

Postby agentdedalus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:05 am

Jacinda wrote:The problem is I can only live in certain states--CA and NY being the easiest. Last year I got into AU's JD/MA in International Affairs, but I couldn't go because 1. They had housing issues like Santa Clara; 2. I couldn't find enough caregivers to move with me; and 3. The Medicaid in DC, MD, and VA doesn't allow me to choose my own caregivers. It was heartbreaking because I worked so hard to get in, and when I finally got in, I couldn't go because my disability stopped me. So if I don't get in, I might try retaking the LSAT, but someone told me it wouldn't matter I got 180 because they will give me a blanket score of 165 since I take an accommodated test ie double time with a scribe. Does anyone know anything about this?

I guess I'm somewhat astounded that both American and Santa Clara would admit you, and, provided your disability was the only matter keeping you from attending, not do everything in their power to ensure that you could do so. Granted, I don't know specifics other than what you've posted here, and issues like Medicaid are perhaps beyond a school's control, but, at the risk of over stating the matter, this seems almost in the territory of the ACLU. That may be a bit hyperbolic, but does anyone else have a similar opinion or take on this?

As to retaking the LSAT and having potential scores "lessened" because of accommodated testing, I'd be careful about letting the "someone" who gave you this advice deter you. While this may hold true for some schools, others will view it in the context in which you frame it, either in an addendum or elsewhere in your app. Schools touting holistic approaches to apps should be especially understanding, as would a place like Berkeley (good luck this cycle btw) where your undergrad affiliation with people who can speak to your circumstances might be particularly helpful.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:03 am

I feel so alone ITT still waiting on CLS... oh well, here's to the fruitless hope that something will come in today's mail from them for the few people still waiting.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am

blue5385 wrote:I feel so alone ITT still waiting on CLS... oh well, here's to the fruitless hope that something will come in today's mail from them for the few people still waiting.

+1, early applicant here still waiting..

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I feel so alone ITT still waiting on CLS... oh well, here's to the fruitless hope that something will come in today's mail from them for the few people still waiting.

I'd even be happy with a hold, it would be nice to know my application had at least been looked at and not thrown straight in the trash.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 am

blue5385 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

I'd even be happy with a hold, it would be nice to know my application had at least been looked at and not thrown straight in the trash.

Idk if you have posted this before, but can you post or PM your numbers?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:14 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

+2 :|

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Idk if you have posted this before, but can you post or PM your numbers?

PMed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”