Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm

.
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been such a creeper up until now--just lurking and reading all of your rants and worries. It's been nice knowing I wasn't alone, by the way. Got put on the reserve list today-- 3.81/168. I'm kind of kicking myself for not retaking at the last administration, since I was routinely prepping in the 175 range...anyway, good luck to everyone!

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby psychomohel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm

js87 wrote:Anyone complete from early November still waiting? No word yet, but my stats make it a long shot; LSAT just under median, GPA at median. Non-URM.

Also, are holds coming through the mail? Are ALL decisions via snail mail, including holds and waitlists?


I'm complete from September and haven't heard anything yet.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Nothing at all for me today :? .

Come on, mailman. Someday I want to see some vomit in my doorway when I get home from work.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby RhubarbPie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Rejected today. GPA slightly below median, LSAT below median. Not overly surprised or upset. Good luck to those still waiting!

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 pm

blue5385 wrote:I just feel so sad and ignored by CLS...most of the people in this thread have gotten their decisions already, and I haven't heard back in any form--no decision or request for further info or anything (although I'm out of school so that could explain the lack of info request). I was complete in early December and I wish they would stop acting like my file does not exist and just acknowledge me somehow. I have no expectation whatsoever for an acceptance, but any form of communication would be excellent.

/rant

Complete since mid-September here. Not a word. (Hi psychomohel!)

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I just feel so sad and ignored by CLS...most of the people in this thread have gotten their decisions already, and I haven't heard back in any form--no decision or request for further info or anything (although I'm out of school so that could explain the lack of info request). I was complete in early December and I wish they would stop acting like my file does not exist and just acknowledge me somehow. I have no expectation whatsoever for an acceptance, but any form of communication would be excellent.

/rant

Complete since mid-September here. Not a word. (Hi psychomohel!)


.
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:15 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I just feel so sad and ignored by CLS...most of the people in this thread have gotten their decisions already, and I haven't heard back in any form--no decision or request for further info or anything (although I'm out of school so that could explain the lack of info request). I was complete in early December and I wish they would stop acting like my file does not exist and just acknowledge me somehow. I have no expectation whatsoever for an acceptance, but any form of communication would be excellent.

/rant

Complete since mid-September here. Not a word. (Hi psychomohel!)


+1 Been complete since September.. not a word yet

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:17 pm

blue5385 wrote:I know people have been waiting longer than me crack, I just got frustrated by the fact that I'm probably going to be waiting another couple months for a hold, waitlist, or rejection.

Yeah fair enough. I agree it's annoying.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm

.
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:21 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I'm not sure why people find it so hard to believe that CLS yield protects. It's so easy to put an overqualified applicant on hold to see if he's truly interested. So why wouldn't they do it? By putting this 176/3.9 on hold, they just slightly boosted their rank because he's withdrawing. The adcoms at Columbia are very rational people who have been hired not just to give Columbia a good student body, but also to make their rank as high as possible. There's no good reason not to practice subtle yield protection.


Because they throw Hamiltons and Butlers at people that, for the most part, end up choosing HYS anyway. Why is it so hard to believe that not all schools are looking for the exact same thing? Maybe she just got a reader that was in a particularly bad mood or something.


That's really not good evidence that they don't yield protect. That's just evidence that some overqualified candidates get named scholarships and others get held or waitlisted but eventually let in if they don't withdraw. If Columbia didn't care about their ranking, they wouldn't be #4. Virtually all law schools care about their rank. If they didn't, Columbia and all the others wouldn't value GPA and LSAT so highly and devalue undergrad and major rigor and other small and medium soft factors. I don't think you can seriously tell me that you think that if that 3.9/176 had sent in a LOCI instead of a withdrawal that he would probably be rejected by Columbia. There's no way that person would be rejected by Columbia if he made it clear that he would attend. By putting him on hold, a very minor act, they've improved their stats.

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby dms87 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:46 pm

For Columbia, how does Waitlist compare to being put on Hold to being put on Reserve?

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I don't think you can seriously tell me that you think that if that 3.9/176 had sent in a LOCI instead of a withdrawal that he would probably be rejected by Columbia. There's no way that person would be rejected by Columbia if he made it clear that he would attend.

I really, really hope you're right about that. Maybe I should get started on a LOCI now...

User avatar
EijiMiyake
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby EijiMiyake » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:That's really not good evidence that they don't yield protect. That's just evidence that some overqualified candidates get named scholarships and others get held or waitlisted but eventually let in if they don't withdraw. If Columbia didn't care about their ranking, they wouldn't be #4. Virtually all law schools care about their rank. If they didn't, Columbia and all the others wouldn't value GPA and LSAT so highly and devalue undergrad and major rigor and other small and medium soft factors. I don't think you can seriously tell me that you think that if that 3.9/176 had sent in a LOCI instead of a withdrawal that he would probably be rejected by Columbia. There's no way that person would be rejected by Columbia if he made it clear that he would attend. By putting him on hold, a very minor act, they've improved their stats.



Huh? I don't think anyone is saying that CLS doesn't care about their ranking.

I think that it's hard to say that a school yield protects if they don't systematically yield protect. For example, look at the LSN graphs for Virginia, Penn, and Columbia. For VP, there is a point at which it is much more likely for a candidate to get waitlisted than accepted. For CLS, the vast majority of "qualified" or "over-qualified" candidates (according to GPA/LSAT) are accepted.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Nothing in my mail today in DC


If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Nothing in my mail today in DC


If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?


Well I know I am getting something in the mail because I am waiting on a few things so I think everything is just delayed

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Has anyone gotten anything from them marked later than 2/9?

edit: For the people who have heard back, is there ever a DR status, or does it just stay at complete forever until they choose to purge all traces of you from their system sometime in the summer or fall?
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runnerman
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby runnerman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Nothing in my mail today in DC


If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?



2 days! that's lucky! I haven't gotten mail since a week ago, last Friday. Today's trip to the mailbox is going to be scary...

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

runnerman wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Nothing in my mail today in DC


If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?



2 days! that's lucky! I haven't gotten mail since a week ago, last Friday. Today's trip to the mailbox is going to be scary...


Yea, I havent had mail since last Thursday. Today was our first day of mail service and NOTHING came except I know that I have like 5 letters I should have received by Tuesday

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:Huh? I don't think anyone is saying that CLS doesn't care about their ranking.

I think that it's hard to say that a school yield protects if they don't systematically yield protect. For example, look at the LSN graphs for Virginia, Penn, and Columbia. For VP, there is a point at which it is much more likely for a candidate to get waitlisted than accepted. For CLS, the vast majority of "qualified" or "over-qualified" candidates (according to GPA/LSAT) are accepted.


Even if they don't broadly yield protect the way other schools do, that doesn't mean they don't yield protect. Even other posters who wouldn't say that CLS yield protects, have suggested that some highly qualified candidates are being held or waitlisted because they don't seem like a proper fit for Columbia. If somebody seems like they would prefer NYU because of public interest, or Berkeley or Chicago because of regional ties, putting that person on hold is an act of yield protection. All yield protection is is increasing the apparent selectivity of the school. Still, I hope I don't get held, blegh. I just want my vomit-crusted envelope already! With money.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby psychomohel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
runnerman wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Nothing in my mail today in DC


If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?



2 days! that's lucky! I haven't gotten mail since a week ago, last Friday. Today's trip to the mailbox is going to be scary...


Yea, I havent had mail since last Thursday. Today was our first day of mail service and NOTHING came except I know that I have like 5 letters I should have received by Tuesday


I got some random mail today (after a some days of no mail), but still nothing from Columbia.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 pm

My family got no mail today so no vomit-cloaked envelope yet.

Edit: And my parents just lost power. :(
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm

btw i am held 2/9 at Columbia as well

User avatar
monkeygirl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby monkeygirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm

My mad dash to the mailbox yielded---nothing. :oops:

Complete since October.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I would like to see some blatant examples of Columbia YP'ing, too many are just wishy-washy. Some people retake and only report the latest numbers so you'll see people from previous years getting rejected and held from schools with a 175/3.8 when the reality is that they were 168/3.8 during their actual cycle.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, JazzyMac, lillawyer2, ProductofUnreality, Rich Uncle Skeleton and 11 guests