Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
The Pen Is Mightier

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:I'm guessing/hoping "Reserve List" is same as held. In that case, got the letter today 169/3.66. Pleasantly surprised.

Got that today as well. Assuming same. Anyone care to confirm our suspicions?

The small envelope had me preparing for the worst, so also pleasantly surprised.

Has CLS rejected anyone yet?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:59 am

here's some info on the difference between "hold" and "reserve" that I found in another thread:

In addition to its “admit” and “reject” decision categories, Columbia Law School maintains both “hold” and “reserve” groups of candidates. When an applicant is placed in the hold category, the Admissions Committee has opted to postpone making a decision on his or her candidacy at the time of initial review; in other words, the Admissions Committee has not yet made a determination on the application, and it will be reviewed again by the Committee later in the admissions season. Hold category applicants can expect to receive a decision on their candidacy (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April.

Unlike applicants who are “wait-listed” at some law schools, candidates placed on reserve at Columbia are at no point ranked ordinally. Rather, each application on reserve is reviewed again in its entirety by the Admissions Committee on a periodic basis during the summer months, as openings in the entering class materialize. Upon each review, some candidates will be offered or denied admission, while others will be asked if they wish to remain in consideration for any future openings in the class later in the summer.

The difference between the hold and reserve categories is that the initial review process is completed for candidates placed on reserve. Reserve candidates will not be reevaluated for admission until the summer months, as openings in the entering class materialize. Applications placed on hold are still being actively reviewed by the Committee, and hold candidates should expect to receive a decision (admit, reserve, or reject) by the end of April.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:04 am

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:I'm guessing/hoping "Reserve List" is same as held. In that case, got the letter today 169/3.66. Pleasantly surprised.

The small envelope had me preparing for the worst, so also pleasantly surprised.

If either of you had just looked back a page or two you would have read from all the other people who just got held and reserved that there's a difference.

I hope my parents get the mail tomorrow in Maryland and it has a vomit-contoured envelope in it.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:05 am

Sorry, it's not. Reserve is CLS's waitlist. Held is just "we are not ready to make a decision on your application."

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:20 am

Got a complete e-mail. I expect to be W/L (3.8/173). Best of luck to everyone.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 am

This recent wave of decisions made me cancel my plans for tomorrow afternoon so that I can run home and check the mailbox like the trained animal I am (complete 1/11). Sad.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:29 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

If either of you had just looked back a page or two you would have read from all the other people who just got held and reserved that there's a difference.

I hope my parents get the mail tomorrow in Maryland and it has a vomit-contoured envelope in it.

Sorry Broseph McCarthy. Lotta noise on these pages.

I hope the CLS Puke Fairy visits your parent's mailbox sometime soon.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:50 am

Are a lot of the folks "held" right out of UG? I only ask because the numbers being held (Kronk/V6, Puppins/Pupple, etc.) are pretty phenomenal.

I'm wondering if work experience, particularly interesting and perhaps public-interested post-graduate work, is extra helpful during this tough cycle.

Sorry about so many of these holds. They seem wildly discombobulated; Columbia needs to check itself.

agentdedalus

Postby agentdedalus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 am

Kretzy wrote:Are a lot of the folks "held" right out of UG? I only ask because the numbers being held (Kronk/V6, Puppins/Pupple, etc.) are pretty phenomenal.

I'm wondering if work experience, particularly interesting and perhaps public-interested post-graduate work, is extra helpful during this tough cycle.

Sorry about so many of these holds. They seem wildly discombobulated; Columbia needs to check itself.

i have both work experience and grad school under my belt, went complete 12.30, and was accepted two weeks back (sans prior notice, envelope just appeared in the mail as with others here)... if that helps?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 am

I think grad school probably helps, as does time abroad or something that fits in line with their international approach. But holds last year seemed pretty random. There were a lot of very qualified TLS'ers wondering why they got held at CLS and accepted at HYS. I was a little disconcerted applying to CLS after watching that last cycle.

Oh well.

bergberg

Postby bergberg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:19 am

Was placed 'on reserve' today as well.

I was intrigued by the website's name "first reserve," so I tried typing in second reserve, and third reserve, both of which also exist (in slightly different colors)! There was no fourth reserve. What does this mean? Priority reserves, or does one have to get through the first to get to the second to get to the third?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 am

Kretzy wrote:Are a lot of the folks "held" right out of UG? I only ask because the numbers being held (Kronk/V6, Puppins/Pupple, etc.) are pretty phenomenal.

You've gotten into CLS and Chicago and I haven't, but I buy this theory anyway.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:18 am

crackberry wrote:

I have low #s for CLS and Chicago (25%ish second LSAT, though 75%ish GPA), and I've gotten into both-- I'm currently in my first year of work experience that is public-interest AND abroad/international.

Weird though, cause these two schools aren't known for being into "holistic" or PI-focused? In fact, I was hoping Boalt or SLS would bite my GPA (though it's <75% for them) and current PI job, but... guess not (so far). Weird upside-down year!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:21 am

parker09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I have low #s for CLS and Chicago (25%ish second LSAT, though 75%ish GPA), and I've gotten into both-- I'm currently in my first year of work experience that is public-interest AND abroad/international.

Weird though, cause these two schools aren't known for being into "holistic" or PI-focused? In fact, I was hoping Boalt or SLS would bite my GPA (though it's <75% for them) and current PI job, but... guess not (so far). Weird upside-down year!

True. As I recall, you and I have nearly identical numbers (same LSAT, my GPA is a little higher I think).

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:26 am

crackberry wrote:True. As I recall, you and I have nearly identical numbers (same LSAT, my GPA is a little higher I think).

Yep, you have .1 on my GPA.
I'd rather trade my UofC and CLS for your Boalt and SLS... but I know you're pretty happy with what you've got :mrgreen:

/thread derail

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 am

I'm straight out of UG. My biggest activity for the last 4 years was being a "member" of my local habitat for humanity. No leadership, no prestigious work during the summers. Applied 12/23, accepted 1/26.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:45 am

Sogui wrote:I'm straight out of UG. My biggest activity for the last 4 years was being a "member" of my local habitat for humanity. No leadership, no prestigious work during the summers. Applied 12/23, accepted 1/26.

Yeah but 176, 3.9 is too high for them to "hold." In normal years, 173, 3.9 (V6) should be a lock. This year - for whatever reason - it's not, but 169, 3.8 is getting in (albeit not regularly).

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:12 am

bergberg wrote:Was placed 'on reserve' today as well.

I was intrigued by the website's name "first reserve," so I tried typing in second reserve, and third reserve, both of which also exist (in slightly different colors)! There was no fourth reserve. What does this mean? Priority reserves, or does one have to get through the first to get to the second to get to the third?

i think here's what that means.

everyone being waitlisted right now goes into the "first reserve." sometime during the summer when some spots have opened up the adcomm meets and reevaluates all the waitlisted applicants. some are rejected, some are accepted, and some are re-waitlisted, which creates the "second reserve." some time later, maybe a month, round 2 happens, and some are released, some accepted, and some put on for round 3, "third reserve." which apparently is the last one. you'd receive an additional notification at each point that you are kept for a new/later reserve.

this isn't official - that's what i was able to gather/assume from the merrimackattack LSN profile kronk posted a couple pages back.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:00 am

Hate to rain on the decision parade with a likely non-starter, but have any ED deferrals heard back yet?

I know they said "by March" but thought, y'know, maybe they'd be friendly. Admits,holds,reserves, rejections, all are welcome to shed some light.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:49 am

word of warning rejections are out and about :cry: ...just got mine in NYC. It was a reach. Good luck to everyone!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 am

Lmao Zedong wrote:
bergberg wrote:Was placed 'on reserve' today as well.

i think here's what that means.

everyone being waitlisted right now goes into the "first reserve." sometime during the summer when some spots have opened up the adcomm meets and reevaluates all the waitlisted applicants. some are rejected, some are accepted, and some are re-waitlisted, which creates the "second reserve." some time later, maybe a month, round 2 happens, and some are released, some accepted, and some put on for round 3, "third reserve." which apparently is the last one. you'd receive an additional notification at each point that you are kept for a new/later reserve.

this isn't official - that's what i was able to gather/assume from the merrimackattack LSN profile kronk posted a couple pages back.

I like your new name

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 am

kittenmittons wrote:
I like your new name

How do people keep changing their names?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:12 am

georgina wrote:wow, um i missed aLOT of action in the last few hours.

but parents just called to let me know i got in.
sub 3.6, above 177. HYPS.
sent/complete september.
info request 1/12. sent loci yesterday (jumped the gun)
postmark 2/9, many states away.

sorry to all the h/res/rej. i'm pretty sure more acceptances are on the way, though!

CONGRATS fellow splitter!! I had lost all hope after logging on this morning and seeing the held bloodbath for apps like Kronk's & puppleberry's, but this gives me renewed hope (sorta)

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 am

parker09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

i'm going to echo you, parker. i haven't heard back from Chicago, Stanford, or Berk yet, but i did just get into CLS with 170 off of a low-160s retake. i think this cycle is indicating that CLS does not live up to its reputation of being rigidly numbers-driven. and they are certainly not averaging scores for every applicant (as the TLS multiple score guide tells us they do).

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:06 pm

If I'm in the 2/9 batch, which I assume that I am because I applied early Sept., I should be getting my mail today.. I'm nervous :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”