Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Tofu

5 for today that we know of.


Wow, assuming the #s are accurate, a below median LSAT too.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

oneforship wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Tofu

5 for today that we know of.


Wow, assuming the #s are accurate, a below median LSAT too.


Assuming the numbers are right, here are the index scores of the admitted so far:

4.302
4.307
4.320
4.330
4.358

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm

talibkweli wrote:the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.


does anyone know for sure whether they review apps in the order completed, as they officially state, or do they just scoop up the big # first? I would prefer they would just openly tell us the truth instead of beating around the bush with the whole "we have holistic approach" talk, if in fact they do look at # first.

Anyways, does anyone know through inside sources what really goes on?

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:55 pm

SanBun wrote:
talibkweli wrote:the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.


does anyone know for sure whether they review apps in the order completed, as they officially state, or do they just scoop up the big # first? I would prefer they would just openly tell us the truth instead of beating around the bush with the whole "we have holistic approach" talk, if in fact they do look at # first.

Anyways, does anyone know through inside sources what really goes on?


i mean, the language from every school suggests that they don't do it in order. also, just think about it: if they are working with a finite number of seats, it makes perfect sense for them to scoop the top numbers first before working their way down. that way, they can judge each application relative to the overall pool's competitiveness.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:57 pm

talibkweli wrote:
SanBun wrote:
talibkweli wrote:the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.


does anyone know for sure whether they review apps in the order completed, as they officially state, or do they just scoop up the big # first? I would prefer they would just openly tell us the truth instead of beating around the bush with the whole "we have holistic approach" talk, if in fact they do look at # first.

Anyways, does anyone know through inside sources what really goes on?


i mean, the language from every school suggests that they don't do it in order. also, just think about it: if they are working with a finite number of seats, it makes perfect sense for them to scoop the top numbers first before working their way down. that way, they can judge each application relative to the overall pool's competitiveness.


And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.

I'm confused about the index stuff. My index for Columbia is about 4.29 so I'm very close to some of the admits today but I really don't think my LSAT (~170) gives me much of a chance. Is index any sort of predictor of success?

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.


Here's hoping they eventually get down to the 4.1/4.2 mark. Assuming you're using the LSP numbers anyway.

MetsFan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MetsFan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Tofu

5 for today that we know of.


Wow, assuming the #s are accurate, a below median LSAT too.


Assuming the numbers are right, here are the index scores of the admitted so far:

4.302
4.307
4.320
4.330
4.358


how do you calculate index scores?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:07 pm

MetsFan wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Tofu

5 for today that we know of.


Wow, assuming the #s are accurate, a below median LSAT too.


Assuming the numbers are right, here are the index scores of the admitted so far:

4.302
4.307
4.320
4.330
4.358


how do you calculate index scores?


LSN used to do it automatically, but I don't think it works anymore. YCR, one of TLS's mods, created this site: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/ that lets you enter in LSAT/GPA numbers and it will compute the index score, along with how it compares to last year's entering class.

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.


On the other hand, maybe the crowd at TLS and LSN is so self-selecting that only the most overachiever-ish students are likely to use/ update it regularly. So maybe ppl with lower # were admitted, but we just don't know about it on this board.
At the end of the day, I think you're right. It just makes me sad that my chances seem so slim at this point even though I ED-ed :(

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:10 pm

crackberry wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.

I'm confused about the index stuff. My index for Columbia is about 4.29 so I'm very close to some of the admits today but I really don't think my LSAT (~170) gives me much of a chance. Is index any sort of predictor of success?


It's not a perfect measure, but it's a guide. With some schools, it's more useful than others but it's best used while still keeping the LSAT/GPA numbers in mind and where they fall relative to medians/25ths/75ths/school preference, e.g. for Columbia, a 4.3 LSAT splitter will probably be better off than a 4.3 GPA splitter. IMO, it's a relatively easy way to compare multiple candidates.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:12 pm

SanBun wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.


On the other hand, maybe the crowd at TLS and LSN is so self-selecting that only the most overachiever-ish students are likely to use/ update it regularly. So maybe ppl with lower # were admitted, but we just don't know about it on this board.
At the end of the day, I think you're right. It just makes me sad that my chances seem so slim at this point even though I ED-ed :(


Somewhere in the CLS acceptance thread from last year, I think there was a breakdown of acceptance/deferrals/rejects by index score. IIRC, 4.3's did very well, 4.2's were hit or miss, and anything lower rarely if ever got in.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:12 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jose

non-urm, sub 4.1 index. there is hope yet!!
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hopefullaw27 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:13 pm

yup...miserable waiting game. For those of us on the medians, it doesn't make sense to me why columbia would take us ED. Their best interests are to lock up students who would otherwise be able to attend HYS with their numbers. Rather, they would defer all of us median peeps to regular decision and pick and choose later on under the strong assumption that we'd all attend if accepted regular decision as well.

sorry to be debbie downer, i'm hoping that i'm wrong, but it seems rational...

here's to hoping that the index drops by .02 :)

sm515
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby sm515 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:16 pm

I am an ED applicant with a 4.341 index just counting my highest LSAT but just a 4.251 index if I average my LSAT scores. I know they say that they consider both scores but I was hoping they'd just take my highest. Does anyone that was admitted today have two scores, and if so, does it seem like they just took your highest score?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:17 pm

talibkweli wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jose

non-urm, sub 4.1 index. there is hope yet!!


I'm trying to figure out what's the deal with that profile. Reapplicant?

I'm not sure I trust those numbers.

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
talibkweli wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jose

non-urm, sub 4.1 index. there is hope yet!!


I'm trying to figure out what's the deal with that profile. Reapplicant?

I'm not sure I trust those numbers.


Home state advantage?

If it's a deliberate troll, it's been a long time coming. Some of those updates are from almost 2 years ago. Still, even re-applicants don't sway the rankings, so I'm not sure what difference that would make.

User avatar
Whats an URM?
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Whats an URM? » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 pm

A white guy named Jose? Something is up.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Is it normal that I have not received any communication from Columbia after submitting on 11/10? I have the LSAC application processing acknowledgement and that's it.

Edit: I just accessed my My Columbia account to get a little more information. I have all the little green checkmarks that I need, and I've been "completion pending" since the 10th. It says allow at least two weeks for completion. It's been over three. I guess something should change soon now.
Last edited by Lieut Kaffee on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:25 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Is it normal that I have not received any communication from Columbia after submitting on 11/10? I have the LSAC application processing acknowledgement and that's it.


You have to go on their website and create an account.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Is it normal that I have not received any communication from Columbia after submitting on 11/10? I have the LSAC application processing acknowledgement and that's it.


Yes, it's normal. The Columbia website has a status check that tells you not to expect completion until AT LEAST 2-3 weeks after your last submission. Considering the holiday, you're not in trouble.

You don't have to create an account on their website; you just need your name, birth date, and LSAC number to access the information.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks for both responses. I've actually had one of those accounts since before I submitted. Just never really thought to check it before getting an email from the school. See my edit above.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Is it normal that I have not received any communication from Columbia after submitting on 11/10? I have the LSAC application processing acknowledgement and that's it.

Edit: I just accessed my My Columbia account to get a little more information. I have all the little green checkmarks that I need, and I've been "completion pending" since the 10th. It says allow at least two weeks for completion. It's been over three. I guess something should change soon now.


i submitted on the 13th and and went complete yesterday, but I am ED
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
talibkweli wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jose

non-urm, sub 4.1 index. there is hope yet!!


I'm trying to figure out what's the deal with that profile. Reapplicant?

I'm not sure I trust those numbers.


Agreed.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 170orDie, Bing [Bot], hammy393, NotAGolfer, thg1870, yuppitsme and 20 guests