Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Core » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 pm

A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

Unless he gets into Harvard before that, in which case it will be irrelevant.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

Unless he gets into Harvard before that, in which case it will be irrelevant.


Isn't he already in at Stanford? Meaning none of this matters.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

Unless he gets into Harvard before that, in which case it will be irrelevant.


Isn't he already in at Stanford? Meaning none of this matters.

No ... or was that a subtle dig at me?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:58 pm

crackberry wrote:No ... or was that a subtle dig at me?



No, I actually thought he was admitted at Stanford. But it works well as a not-so-subtle dig at you.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

Unless he gets into Harvard before that, in which case it will be irrelevant.


hey, maybe some people would take CLS over HLS. not sure who they are, I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they exist somewhere out there

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:No ... or was that a subtle dig at me?



No, I actually thought he was admitted at Stanford. But it works well as a not-so-subtle dig at you.

True. Facepalm.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 pm

blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

Unless he gets into Harvard before that, in which case it will be irrelevant.


hey, maybe some people would take CLS over HLS. not sure who they are, I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they exist somewhere out there

You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 pm

blue5385 wrote:hey, maybe some people would take CLS over HLS. not sure who they are, I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they exist somewhere out there


They exist. But they'd also take Berkeley over CLS, and Stanford over YLS or HLS, so they just mess everything up.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Kronk wrote:
blue5385 wrote:hey, maybe some people would take CLS over HLS. not sure who they are, I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they exist somewhere out there


They exist. But they'd also take Berkeley over CLS, and Stanford over YLS or HLS, so they just mess everything up.

Haha! Beat you to it.

And wait, Berkeley over CLS? That's not what you said a few weeks ago...

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 pm

crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:02 pm

blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:A glance at the '08 deferral thread indicates that "held" applicants really don't hear back until early-mid April. Yikes.


that's a really long time to wait, but you'll feel pretty f-in fantastic when it's an acceptance... :)

Unless he gets into Harvard before that, in which case it will be irrelevant.


hey, maybe some people would take CLS over HLS. not sure who they are, I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they exist somewhere out there


I think I've found them... maybe to the left?

Image

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:02 pm

blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?

He's needlessly paranoid.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:03 pm

blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?


My whole clique did it so I felt obligated. Plus Kronk is the best animated character of all time.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:03 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?

He's needlessly paranoid.


This too.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Kronk wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?


My whole clique did it so I felt obligated. Plus Kronk is the best animated character of all time.


peer pressure, we all submit to it sometimes. at least you are upfront about it.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Dignan wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Also there certainly is data on LSN to support that CLS yield protects. Just look at the graph from the 2008-2009 cycle and you'll see a bunch of yellows over in the autoadmit area. Don't forget that Columbia was recently below NYU in the rankings. They still have to compete with other schools. http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

It's very clear that CLS yield protects, or at least did last year.

I disagree. Did you try actually checking the profiles of the the few who are in the upper right hand corner of the graph? Most of these applicants were also rejected and waitlisted by both higher and lower ranked schools. I think it's fair to assume that these applicants had problems (applying late, disciplinary issues) that made them unattractive candidates in spite of their numbers. See, for example:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/yuzu/jd


Yes, I actually did try that. You have a few who were rejected by HYS who may have had black marks on their records (God I hope I'm not one of these people) and then you have enough who did get into HYS and were waitlisted by Columbia, and then withdrew, slightly helping Columbia's selectivity rating. It's silly to just assume (not saying you are) that CLS doesn't work to maximize their ranking just like almost every other school except Yale just because they're a great school.

I think CLS cares about its ranking. Yield protection, however, is just one strategy. Some schools--like Penn and Virginia--clearly yield protect; others schools--like Georgetown and Columbia--appear not to. Remember, yield protection isn't necessarily a winning strategy: it can backfire by excluding highly qualified students who might have otherwise attended your school. It's a gamble that many law schools, particularly large ones, don't like to make.

Like I wrote above, I haven't seen evidence that Columbia practices yield protection. The fact that Columbia occasionally wl/rejects an applicant with strong numbers (but who probably has serious problems) doesn't convince me.

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Kronk wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?


Plus Kronk is the best animated character of all time.


I dunno...I happened to have liked Yzam a lot (though that might have been due to her awesome voice actress).

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Kronk wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?


My whole clique did it so I felt obligated. Plus Kronk is the best animated character of all time.


OH HELL NO!

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Kronk wrote:I've actually found that a lot of the people waitlisted at Columbia end up at Harvard or Berkeley. I think that Columbia definitely doesn't YP, but has an involved review process that takes into account whether CLS / NYC is really the applicant's thing.


+1

The higher numbers --> Harvard

The borderlines, I feel like, are traumatized from their Columbia WL/rejection so they move to the other coast to be @ berk.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?


Plus Kronk is the best animated character of all time.


I dunno...I happened to have liked Yzam a lot (though that might have been due to her awesome voice actress).


Scary beyond all reason.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 pm

booboo wrote:
Kronk wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
crackberry wrote:You're looking at one in V6 (Kronk ... yes I will keep referring to him as V6).


Kronk/V6 (Kronk6?), what was the reason behind the name change?


My whole clique did it so I felt obligated. Plus Kronk is the best animated character of all time.


OH HELL NO!


it's on!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 pm

booboo wrote:OH HELL NO


Please don't waste my time telling me your teddy bear is better than the man the myth the legend Kronk.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Kronk wrote:
booboo wrote:OH HELL NO


Please don't waste my time telling me your teddy bear is better than the man the myth the legend Kronk.


Image




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: christinaxcarrie, cyclawps, JazzyMac, JoshLyman13, Keilz, metaxerox88, pandaaa, sovogue, uhwrestler, wajdicm and 27 guests