Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm

georgina wrote:
blue5385 wrote:This is true for people with outstanding stats, but what are your thoughts on splitters (like myself) who are at/slightly under one 25% and considerably over the other 75% sending in a LOCI? I sincerely doubt I will be scooped up by H and didn't even apply to Y or S. Would it be overkill in my case since they already know I'm not a YP candidate?

not to knock, but just to clarify, the gpa 25% is 3.6, and the lsat 75% is 175. i thought i had a vague impression of your numbers being a pretty even split... but maybe i'm wrong.

anyway, i (splitter) went ahead and sent a LOCI because i had legitimate info to update, and because i can get another rec if i get hold/WL. if you only have one thing left in your app arsenal, i'm with crack in saying you should wait.

I was going off the LSN school stats where it said CLS's 25% GPA was 3.51 and their 75% LSAT was 174. I'm not an extreme splitter, like a 3.0/180, but I don't think my numbers are an even split either. I've only seen 1 other person on here with the same stats this cycle so maybe they're kind of weird numbers? In any case I'm above the LSAT 75%, so hopefully that helps my candidacy.

edit: I don't really have any great updates since I'm out of school now--no new GPA or awards or anything like that to report--I guess I just wanted more to show them that my app is definitely still on my mind and they're one of my top choices. I didn't write a Why CLS with the initial app, so maybe one of those would help also.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Dignan wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Core wrote:A school like CLS knows its applicants are all dying to attend.

That's not really true. The best applicants to CLS will get scooped up by HYS, except for the ones they retain with named scholarships. I think you've been yield protected because they think you're probably getting into Harvard (and you are probably getting into Harvard). If you show interest in them I think they'll let you in.

I really don't think that Columbia yield protects. If you look at the data on LSN, there's just no evidence for it. Columbia doesn't deal with likely HY admits by waitlisting them; they deal with them by offering acceptances with scholarship money.

Core hasn't been waitlisted. Core's still in the same regular applicant pool that people like Bai and I are in.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Also there certainly is data on LSN to support that CLS yield protects. Just look at the graph from the 2008-2009 cycle and you'll see a bunch of yellows over in the autoadmit area. Don't forget that Columbia was recently below NYU in the rankings. They still have to compete with other schools. http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

It's very clear that CLS yield protects, or at least did last year.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Dignan wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Core wrote:A school like CLS knows its applicants are all dying to attend.

That's not really true. The best applicants to CLS will get scooped up by HYS, except for the ones they retain with named scholarships. I think you've been yield protected because they think you're probably getting into Harvard (and you are probably getting into Harvard). If you show interest in them I think they'll let you in.

I really don't think that Columbia yield protects. If you look at the data on LSN, there's just no evidence for it. Columbia doesn't deal with likely HY admits by waitlisting them; they deal with them by offering acceptances with scholarship money.

Core hasn't been waitlisted. Core's still in the same regular applicant pool that people like Bai and I are in.

If that's true, then I really don't understand your point. Why do you think that Core is being yield protected?

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

i understand what the hold means at hls. they wanted to give an applicant a response within a timeframe, and hls decided hold was sufficient to be a response.

is columbia doing the same? should other people who applied in sept/oct expect to be hearing back A/R/Hold this week as well? if columbia's not doing the same, why bother with a hold notification at all if held applicants are still being considered with all the rest?

confused

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:56 pm

georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

i understand what the hold means at hls. they wanted to give an applicant a response within a timeframe, and hls decided hold was sufficient to be a response.

is columbia doing the same? should other people who applied in sept/oct expect to be hearing back A/R/Hold this week as well? if columbia's not doing the same, why bother with a hold notification at all if held applicants are still being considered with all the rest?

confused

The only RD held applicant I knew at CLS last cycle was eventually waitlisted (174 / 3.99). He didn't send in any materials and ended up at UofC.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm

georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

confused

+1 to this...I also don't understand the purpose of sending out a hold notification if the person is still being considered in the applicant pool like everyone else who hasn't gotten a real decision. Why not send holds to everyone, then?

edit: Hopefully that means decisions are forthcoming to everyone who hasn't gotten one...?
Last edited by blue5385 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Dignan wrote:If that's true, then I really don't understand your point. Why do you think that Core is being yield protected?

Because if Core gets into Harvard, Stanford, or Yale in the next couple weeks and decides that he would much rather go there than Columbia, he may withdraw from Columbia. If Core is pretty interested in CLS, he'll send them a LOCI or something (and of course he just did, so that makes this case awkward). It's a mild way to yield protect, but when you have a bunch of applicants, things like this make a difference.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Also there certainly is data on LSN to support that CLS yield protects. Just look at the graph from the 2008-2009 cycle and you'll see a bunch of yellows over in the autoadmit area. Don't forget that Columbia was recently below NYU in the rankings. They still have to compete with other schools. http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

I disagree. Did you try actually checking the profiles of the the few who are in the upper right hand corner of the graph? Most of these applicants were also rejected and waitlisted by both higher and lower ranked schools. I think it's fair to assume that these applicants had problems (applying late, disciplinary issues) that made them unattractive candidates in spite of their numbers. See, for example:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/yuzu/jd
Last edited by Dignan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm

It's starting to sink in that a law education at UT would cost me nothing.

A law education at Columbia could cost me $210,000...

Please Columbia, don't make this hard for me... (GRANTS PLZ)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Dignan wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/yuzu/jd

Ouch. This person had to be a convicted felon or something like that to get rejected from all those places with those numbers (or maybe something worse, considering UMich is letting in convicted felons :wink: )

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

I've actually found that a lot of the people waitlisted at Columbia end up at Harvard or Berkeley. I think that Columbia definitely doesn't YP, but has an involved review process that takes into account whether CLS / NYC is really the applicant's thing.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 pm

blue5385 wrote:

Ouch. This person had to be a convicted felon or something like that to get rejected from all those places with those numbers (or maybe something worse, considering UMich is letting in convicted felons :wink: )

Look at his profile. He had a 170 in December and then got the better score in June. It was probably just too late.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Dignan wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Also there certainly is data on LSN to support that CLS yield protects. Just look at the graph from the 2008-2009 cycle and you'll see a bunch of yellows over in the autoadmit area. Don't forget that Columbia was recently below NYU in the rankings. They still have to compete with other schools. http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

I disagree. Did you try actually checking the profiles of the the few who are in the upper right hand corner of the graph? Most of these applicants were also rejected and waitlisted by both higher and lower ranked schools. I think it's fair to assume that these applicants had problems (applying late, disciplinary issues) that made them unattractive candidates in spite of their numbers. See, for example:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/yuzu/jd

Yes, I actually did try that. You have a few who were rejected by HYS who may have had black marks on their records (God I hope I'm not one of these people) and then you have enough who did get into HYS and were waitlisted by Columbia, and then withdrew, slightly helping Columbia's selectivity rating. It's silly to just assume (not saying you are) that CLS doesn't work to maximize their ranking just like almost every other school except Yale just because they're a great school.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Look at his profile. He had a 170 in December and then got the better score in June. It was probably just too late.

yea, and i feel like with engr and other highly analytical majors (like this guy), there's an expectation of 170+... or not (don't hate me for this). when i see an engineer with a low lsat, i wonder.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

He also applied right on the deadline everywhere.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Kronk wrote:I've actually found that a lot of the people waitlisted at Columbia end up at Harvard or Berkeley. I think that Columbia definitely doesn't YP, but has an involved review process that takes into account whether CLS / NYC is really the applicant's thing.

In which case you and I are fucked at CLS.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

I guess I'll send in a shorter LOCI with other reasons why I <3 CLS within the next month.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Core wrote:I guess I'll send in a shorter LOCI with other reasons why I <3 CLS within the next month.

Couldn't hurt.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

confused

I think my hold came in the midst of a rejection wave.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:I've actually found that a lot of the people waitlisted at Columbia end up at Harvard or Berkeley. I think that Columbia definitely doesn't YP, but has an involved review process that takes into account whether CLS / NYC is really the applicant's thing.

In which case you and I are fucked at CLS.

Totally fucked.

Maybe CLS' M.O. is to reject everyone who wouldn't shed any tears over a rejection?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Core wrote:
georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

confused

shit, this makes me wonder if my ding is on the way, since the only people with comparable stats to mine who were accepted (so far) got in as ED applicants. I wish I had been 100% sure about one or the other of my top 2 choices (of which CLS is one) so I could have applied ED as well.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

yeah you're probably right, I'm sure if he reapplied in a more timely fashion this cycle he had great luck

Core

Postby Core » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:36 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Core wrote:
georgina wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

confused

shit, this makes me wonder if my ding is on the way, since the only people with comparable stats to mine who were accepted (so far) got in as ED applicants. I wish I had been 100% sure about one or the other of my top 2 choices (of which CLS is one) so I could have applied ED as well.

Same. I may be wrong about the wave, though. Just glance at the last few CLS decisions reported on LSN. I'm also in the NYC area and would've been among the first to receive anything.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Core wrote:Just glance at the last few CLS decisions reported on LSN. I'm also in the NYC area and would've been among the first to receive anything.

The two most recent back-to-back rejections were clearly reaches, which is slightly comforting. It seems like mingled A/R are going out now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”