Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maudlinstreet

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:56 pm

alert! alert! another person updated with an acceptance for today (with a butler? not sure).

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ef123

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:03 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:alert! alert! another person updated with an acceptance for today (with a butler? not sure).

Weird. If it's a Butler, probably just a late-arriving letter from the 1/22-1/27 batch, though. But, hey I'd love a Butler. Columbia, want to give me one?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 pm

BenJ wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:alert! alert! another person updated with an acceptance for today (with a butler? not sure).

Weird. If it's a Butler, probably just a late-arriving letter from the 1/22-1/27 batch, though. But, hey I'd love a Butler. Columbia, want to give me one?

nonsense, it's the start of a NEW WAVE! come onnnnn COLUMBIA!

(I don't believe this)

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:18 pm

I feel as if there is new wave that is going to begin next week...

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
BenJ wrote:

nonsense, it's the start of a NEW WAVE! come onnnnn COLUMBIA!

(I don't believe this)

Maybe they got the letter awhile back and didn't update their profile until today?

Actually, on second thought, I don't believe there could possibly be a person so laid-back about their cycle that they don't post on law-school related sites every day. It must be the start of a new wave.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:42 pm

crackberry wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:come on people, pull for me too! columbia has been my #1 choice since Yale sent my ass packing and I'd be very sad if I didn't get in :P

ftfm

Why didn't you apply to Stanford bai?

Geographical restrictions. My husband can't leave New York, so DC/Philly <3/Boston are doable, west coast not so much. Plus the west coast might be weird. :P

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:come on people, pull for me too! columbia has been my #1 choice since Yale sent my ass packing and I'd be very sad if I didn't get in :P

ftfm

Why didn't you apply to Stanford bai?

Geographical restrictions. My husband can't leave New York, so DC/Philly <3/Boston are doable, west coast not so much. Plus the west coast might be weird. :P

TInotTCR.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:00 am

SolarWind wrote:
On another note, the admitted student binder is the most gorgeous thing I've seen yet from a law school.

Do you mean that little New York City guidebook they sent or should I also expect an actual binder with actual useful information in it.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:53 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
On another note, the admitted student binder is the most gorgeous thing I've seen yet from a law school.

Do you mean that little New York City guidebook they sent or should I also expect an actual binder with actual useful information in it.

it's basically a binder with everything from the admitted students' website

though the "Inside New York 2010" guidebook was neat, too

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:47 pm

another day with nothing in the ol mailbox :|

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Holy shit, she got into Yale but still felt the need to carpet-bomb law schools with applications.

She says it's so she has a better chance of attending grad school with her SO, but JESUS.

(That would be a gut-wrenching decision to walk away from HYS for WUSTL just because her SO is going there.)

booboo

Postby booboo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Sogui wrote:

Holy shit, she got into Yale but still felt the need to carpet-bomb law schools with applications.

She says it's so she has a better chance of attending grad school with her SO, but JESUS.

(That would be a gut-wrenching decision to walk away from HYS for WUSTL just because her SO is going there.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:42 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:another day with nothing in the ol mailbox :|

+1...sigh

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Sogui wrote:

+1. he should move to new haven w/ her and start flipping burgers

although i think any relationship is sustainable in the nyc->boston corridor through grad school, and there are a ton of options between the two cities. the transportation is pretty cheap and convenient.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

englawyer wrote:
Sogui wrote:

+1. he should move to new haven w/ her and start flipping burgers

although i think any relationship is sustainable in the nyc->boston corridor through grad school, and there are a ton of options between the two cities. the transportation is pretty cheap and convenient.

hope so.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Anybody have a guess as to when we'll start hearing again? Complete 1/10, so I probably have a long wait. At this point I actually wish that CLS had a system that allows me to obsessively status-check. For now, I've resigned myself to running to my mailbox every day at 3pm like a trained dog.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Sogui wrote:

Wouldn't you love to be that guy, adored so much that your SO would turn down HYS for your sake? :D

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 pm

managamy wrote:
Sogui wrote:

Wouldn't you love to be that guy, adored so much that your SO would turn down HYS for your sake? :D

No. Way. That is just too much pressure. If you ever feel inclined to end the relationship, she can play the I-turned-down-Yale-just-to-be-with-you card.

In any event, the whole situation seems backwards. If the applicant is as successful as she appears to be, her SO should be following her around.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Dignan wrote:
managamy wrote:
Sogui wrote:

No. Way. That is just too much pressure. If you ever feel inclined to end the relationship, she can play the I-turned-down-Yale-just-to-be-with-you card.

In any event, the whole situation seems backwards. If the applicant is as successful as she appears to be, her SO should be following her around.

Definitely, but I blame traditional, outmoded biases regarding gender relations.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:56 pm

managamy wrote:
Dignan wrote:
managamy wrote:
Sogui wrote:

Definitely, but I blame traditional, outmoded biases regarding gender relations.

+1

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:59 am

+2

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 am

+3

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:36 am

That's pretty harsh. She hasn't said for sure that he won't follow her to her law school, or that they wouldn't be okay with a Boston-NYC type of relationship. Don't make these assumptions about them. Also if she goes to Yale and he has to live in the same city, if he doesn't get into Yale he's in a lot of trouble for grad school. It's also very, very, very hard to get a good job as a PhD unless you go to the particular schools that happen to be the best in that field.

Edit: Though I certainly agree that sexism leads couples to follow the man's goal more often than not if there's a choice between the two people's paths.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:51 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:That's pretty harsh. She hasn't said for sure that he won't follow her to her law school, or that they wouldn't be okay with a Boston-NYC type of relationship. Don't make these assumptions about them. Also if she goes to Yale and he has to live in the same city, if he doesn't get into Yale he's in a lot of trouble for grad school. It's also very, very, very hard to get a good job as a PhD unless you go to the particular schools that happen to be the best in that field.

Edit: Though I certainly agree that sexism leads couples to follow the man's goal more often than not if there's a choice between the two people's paths.

Fair enough. I think that we were talking in generalities rather than specifics. My point was basically that, if a woman gets into a substantially better program than her SO does, she shouldn't feel obliged to give it up for his sake if they feel the need to be in the same place.

I suppose that I have a stronger opinion on this topic because it's relevant to my sister's situation, and she has a strong opinion on it too. Harshness was not my intention, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”