Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby blue5385 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:18 pm

Nomidzoh wrote:
ali & ali wrote:Ok, so I'm a 4.61 (176, 3.94) on Columbia's index, I went complete in mid/late November, and I haven't heard anything. Oh, and I haven't killed anyone or committed any felonies or anything. Is there anyone else out there like this? Why the cruel silence, Columbia?!

Yeah, I'm 4.6 (178, 3.75) and hearing crickets. Complete in November, also not a felon. I was recently held at Harvard though so although I'm bummed I'm not surprised. Is there anything about you that might raise eyebrows? I graduated from high school in 2001 and just finished undergrad last spring. There are reasons for that, but I don't know if top 5 schools care.

4.7, didn't think there was anything horrible about my application. Last I saw, CoalToNewcastle hadn't heard either?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Nomidzoh wrote:
ali & ali wrote:Ok, so I'm a 4.61 (176, 3.94) on Columbia's index, I went complete in mid/late November, and I haven't heard anything. Oh, and I haven't killed anyone or committed any felonies or anything. Is there anyone else out there like this? Why the cruel silence, Columbia?!

Yeah, I'm 4.6 (178, 3.75) and hearing crickets. Complete in November, also not a felon. I was recently held at Harvard though so although I'm bummed I'm not surprised. Is there anything about you that might raise eyebrows? I graduated from high school in 2001 and just finished undergrad last spring. There are reasons for that, but I don't know if top 5 schools care.

4.7, didn't think there was anything horrible about my application. Last I saw, CoalToNewcastle hadn't heard either?

You have a 180. There's nothing to worry about.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Nomidzoh wrote:

Was there anything that might be even slightly unusual about your applications? Schools don't seem to be jumping all over you like I'd expect. Not yet, at least.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah, I haven't heard anything yet either so you shouldn't despair until both Bai and I hear decisions.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:47 pm

My strategy all along has been not to worry until Bai hears something. Now there are a half dozen auto-admits like that, so I feel semi comfortable.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:48 pm

VoidSix wrote:My strategy all along has been not to worry until Bai hears something. Now there are a half dozen auto-admits like that, so I feel semi comfortable.

I won't worry until you hear something. so be sure to let me know.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:50 pm

puppins wrote:
VoidSix wrote:My strategy all along has been not to worry until Bai hears something. Now there are a half dozen auto-admits like that, so I feel semi comfortable.

Agreed. Also--make sure you find someone that won't worry until you hear something.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:
puppins wrote:

Agreed. Also--make sure you find someone that won't worry until you hear something.

I thought this was the buddy system? apparently it is more a pyramid scheme though..

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:53 pm

puppins wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
puppins wrote:

I thought this was the buddy system? apparently it is more a pyramid scheme though..

I'm hoping we can eventually rid everyone of anxiety.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm

VoidSix wrote:I'm hoping we can eventually rid everyone of anxiety.

Until it turns out that BaiAilian is revealed as a flame... then the entire pyramid will crumble and everyone will be afraid and depressed.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

Until it turns out that BaiAilian is revealed as a flame... then the entire pyramid will crumble and everyone will be afraid and depressed.

to be fair... I am already a little afraid and depressed.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 pm

puppins wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

But, um, puppins. I haven't heard yet? hth

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:00 pm

VoidSix wrote:
puppins wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

But, um, puppins. I haven't heard yet? hth

I am a gunner and am getting depressed in advance. hth

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:58 pm

VoidSix wrote:
puppins wrote:

I did, and he already heard :(

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 am

blue5385 wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:BYU undergrad here, and I think there's merit to this theory. I may be biased though and just be trying to make myself feel better about the Harvard ding. From what I know about other applicants from BYU, if schools do have this practice I support it.

just curious...why do you support this practice if you believe it had a detrimental effect on your apps?

I just spent 3 years with all these kids who "look the same on paper", actually it's not just on paper. Diversity matters, if I were doing it over, BYU would not be my choice.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:51 am

lawblahblah wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:BYU undergrad here, and I think there's merit to this theory. I may be biased though and just be trying to make myself feel better about the Harvard ding. From what I know about other applicants from BYU, if schools do have this practice I support it.

just curious...why do you support this practice if you believe it had a detrimental effect on your apps?

I just spent 3 years with all these kids who "look the same on paper", actually it's not just on paper. Diversity matters, if I were doing it over, BYU would not be my choice.

Plus you run the risk of the Student Bar Association not supplying the class with free kegs.

castellon

Postby castellon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Plus you run the risk of the Student Bar Association not supplying the class with free kegs.

ZING!

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and check the mail box. 5 days of nothing, maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 am

Just out of curiosity, how were named scholarship recipients notified? Was it part of the acceptance letter or a separate letter?

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 am

They mention it in the first sentence or two of the main letter, and there's another letter behind it. The main one's like "Congratulations, you have been admitted to CLS as a ____ Fellow!"

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am

lawblahblah wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
4910 wrote:why BYU, i would imagine there would be a lot more similar applicants frmo huge state universities like UCLA, etc.

They're Mormons. All of them (except the girls) have gone on a two-year mission, all of them have done the same church-related volunteer work and extracurricular stuff, etc.

BYU undergrad here, and I think there's merit to this theory. I may be biased though and just be trying to make myself feel better about the Harvard ding. From what I know about other applicants from BYU, if schools do have this practice I support it.

I'm another BYU ugrad. I think that there's some merit to it, and to surpass it, you have to show that you're actually different, which is hard at BYU...

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 pm

lsnate wrote:Also in. Pastel-washed-out-khaki envelope in the mail in Mountain West region. 172/3.8

Congrats! I have very similar stats, so hopefully that bodes well for me. When did you apply?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Has anyone who was deferred from Early Decision heard back yet??

(After I got deferred, I didn't have the heart to keep following this thread)

gmail

Postby gmail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25 pm

cougarlive wrote:Has anyone who was deferred from Early Decision heard back yet??

(After I got deferred, I didn't have the heart to keep following this thread)

No word yet. Expecting a WL in April and then a summer of reserves.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Ha. Not only is this flattering, but if I'm a good person, it will also make me feel slightly better about reporting that I haven't heard anything.
tomhobbes wrote:

Hahaha. I promise I'm not a flame, although I am kind of afraid and depressed too. Will PM you for a professional opinion on any even slightly unusual things about my application. (That's a pretty low bar... slightly unusual maybe, but "reject me" unusual? I didn't think so.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”