Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
holborn

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 pm

I was just told by a poster in another thread that paying sticker for Columbia was a risky investment and a bad idea. I come over here in search of more positive words...

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.

holborn

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 pm

mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.

hmm nice try, but I think you missed the part about "more positive words". :D anyone else want to give it a try?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...

jimmyd11011

Postby jimmyd11011 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...

+1

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 pm

mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

I really don't think top half is right. Maybe for current 1L's and 2L's, but in better years, I've always gotten the impression that it's more like top 80%.

I really hope my parents get something good in the mail tomorrow in Maryland.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:56 pm

jimmyd11011 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...

+1

+2

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am

louboutin wrote:
jimmyd11011 wrote:

+1

+2

+3...4.4 index is stretching it, though, unfortunately :oops:

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I really hope my parents get something good in the mail tomorrow in Maryland,.

+1

Columbia, each moment without you is like a dagger in my heart.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 am

In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 am

VoidSix wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:It seems like there are a ton of people with lower LSAT scores (by Columbia's standards) getting in this year compared with last year. What gives?

I was thinking the same thing the other day; my 4.3 index at Columbia and my 25th percentile LSAT made my admission surprising.

Won't be so surprising when you get your YLS acceptance.

Yeah, Kretzy, how did you not get a JR1? I, like V6, will not be shocked if you get YLS.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 am

musketeerlady wrote:In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!

Where are you in the USA? ;)

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:23 am

VoidSix wrote:
musketeerlady wrote:In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!

I'm in NYC, a few miles away from CLS. I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so was surprised to get a grade request for the semester abroad. It actually even brought my GPA down 0.05, so I was quite nervous. But I guess it didn't matter so much.

Hang in there georgina and others with recent requests; best of luck to you guys!

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 am

musketeerlady wrote:
VoidSix wrote:

I'm in NYC, a few miles away from CLS. I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so was surprised to get a grade request for the semester abroad. It actually even brought my GPA down 0.05, so I was quite nervous. But I guess it didn't matter so much.

Hang in there georgina and others with recent requests; best of luck to you guys!

Thank you!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 am

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:It seems like there are a ton of people with lower LSAT scores (by Columbia's standards) getting in this year compared with last year. What gives?

I was thinking the same thing the other day; my 4.3 index at Columbia and my 25th percentile LSAT made my admission surprising.

Yeah, Kretzy, how did you not get a JR1? I, like V6, will not be shocked if you get YLS.

+a lot, especially considering the topic of your 250.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 am

you don't need median or better at CLS to make 160k. that is just ridiculous false. Pretty much everyone above bottom 1/4 has that option open to them and even people in the bottom still often pull it off. even current class.

Series70

Postby Series70 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 am

Sorry about the confusion before; yes, BK = Brooklyn. So acceptance letters should start filtering around the rest of the country beginning today. Good luck everyone!

For those of you who received letters, I assume that there was some sort of personal handwritten message in them? Like the word enthusiasm underlined, along with something like, "I can't wait to meet you!"? I thought that was a nice touch.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 am

Series70 wrote:For those of you who received letters, I assume that there was some sort of personal handwritten message in them? Like the word enthusiasm underlined, along with something like, "I can't wait to meet you!"? I thought that was a nice touch.

Less nice now that I know everyone else got it too :(

Kidding. Did appreciate it. Almost canceled out the awful envelope/folder color. Almost.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 am

julesm2200 wrote:

hmm nice try, but I think you missed the part about "more positive words". :D anyone else want to give it a try?

Columbia's excellent LRAP is for all government/PI jobs, not just for the prestigious ones. Worst case scenario - you may have to take a public interest job that you don't like, but at least you won't have to worry about student loans.

So it's risky in the sense that you won't necessarily have glory or job satisfaction, but Columbia grads won't go bankrupt because of student loans.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 am

parker09 wrote:
Series70 wrote:For those of you who received letters, I assume that there was some sort of personal handwritten message in them? Like the word enthusiasm underlined, along with something like, "I can't wait to meet you!"? I thought that was a nice touch.

Less nice now that I know everyone else got it too :(

Kidding. Did appreciate it. Almost canceled out the awful envelope/folder color. Almost.

I liked the little folder. Wish there was more of a viewbook type thing in it. Will a binder come later?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:27 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
parker09 wrote:I liked the little folder. Wish there was more of a viewbook type thing in it. Will a binder come later?

Ambiguous "additional mailings" to come later... but definitely an Admitted Students Handbook!

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 am

musketeerlady wrote:I'm in NYC, a few miles away from CLS. I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so was surprised to get a grade request for the semester abroad. It actually even brought my GPA down 0.05, so I was quite nervous. But I guess it didn't matter so much.

haha, thanks. i guess my desperation at this point has become rather obvious.

congratulations on the acceptance :D :D

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I was thinking the same thing the other day; my 4.3 index at Columbia and my 25th percentile LSAT made my admission surprising.

+a lot, especially considering the topic of your 250.

Thanks y'all :)

I'm below 25th LSAT and median GPA, so the lack of a JR1 was unsurprising. I've had a hell of a cycle though, WAY better than I (or my family) thought I'd have, so the lack of HLS/YLS is not upsetting at all!

AliceB

Postby AliceB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I was just told by a poster in another thread that paying sticker for Columbia was a risky investment and a bad idea. I come over here in search of more positive words...

20 years from now when you have a heavy bank account, a shiny diploma, and a job you actually enjoy, you will think it's funny you ever asked this question.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Median or better? No, sir. If Chicago placed 70-ish% of their 2Ls into Vault 50 firms, Columbia is probably around the same. I would imagine if you consider NLJ "Biglaw," you need to be in the top 75%. I'm sure that a large portion of the bottom 75% can still find midlaw and other jobs, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”