Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 pm

I was just told by a poster in another thread that paying sticker for Columbia was a risky investment and a bad idea. I come over here in search of more positive words...

User avatar
mochafury
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby mochafury » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 pm

mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.


hmm nice try, but I think you missed the part about "more positive words". :D anyone else want to give it a try?

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...

jimmyd11011
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby jimmyd11011 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...


+1

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 pm

mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.


I really don't think top half is right. Maybe for current 1L's and 2L's, but in better years, I've always gotten the impression that it's more like top 80%.

I really hope my parents get something good in the mail tomorrow in Maryland.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

louboutin
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby louboutin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:56 pm

jimmyd11011 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...


+1


+2

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am

louboutin wrote:
jimmyd11011 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:I'm getting nervous over here... 4.4ish index, applied in late october, and no letter yet. maybe it'll come tomorrow...


+1


+2


+3...4.4 index is stretching it, though, unfortunately :oops:

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I really hope my parents get something good in the mail tomorrow in Maryland,.

+1

Columbia, each moment without you is like a dagger in my heart.

User avatar
musketeerlady
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby musketeerlady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 am

In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 am

VoidSix wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:It seems like there are a ton of people with lower LSAT scores (by Columbia's standards) getting in this year compared with last year. What gives?


I was thinking the same thing the other day; my 4.3 index at Columbia and my 25th percentile LSAT made my admission surprising.


Won't be so surprising when you get your YLS acceptance.

Yeah, Kretzy, how did you not get a JR1? I, like V6, will not be shocked if you get YLS.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28159
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 am

musketeerlady wrote:In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!


Where are you in the USA? ;)

User avatar
musketeerlady
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby musketeerlady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:23 am

VoidSix wrote:
musketeerlady wrote:In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!


Where are you in the USA? ;)


I'm in NYC, a few miles away from CLS. I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so was surprised to get a grade request for the semester abroad. It actually even brought my GPA down 0.05, so I was quite nervous. But I guess it didn't matter so much.

Hang in there georgina and others with recent requests; best of luck to you guys!

User avatar
lsathalon
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby lsathalon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 am

musketeerlady wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
musketeerlady wrote:In!! Letter posted 1/26. Study abroad grades requested on 1/19; info sent in on 1/25. Good luck everyone!


Where are you in the USA? ;)


I'm in NYC, a few miles away from CLS. I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so was surprised to get a grade request for the semester abroad. It actually even brought my GPA down 0.05, so I was quite nervous. But I guess it didn't matter so much.

Hang in there georgina and others with recent requests; best of luck to you guys!



Thank you!

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 am

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:It seems like there are a ton of people with lower LSAT scores (by Columbia's standards) getting in this year compared with last year. What gives?


I was thinking the same thing the other day; my 4.3 index at Columbia and my 25th percentile LSAT made my admission surprising.


Won't be so surprising when you get your YLS acceptance.

Yeah, Kretzy, how did you not get a JR1? I, like V6, will not be shocked if you get YLS.


+a lot, especially considering the topic of your 250.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 am

mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.

you don't need median or better at CLS to make 160k. that is just ridiculous false. Pretty much everyone above bottom 1/4 has that option open to them and even people in the bottom still often pull it off. even current class.

User avatar
Series70
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Series70 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 am

Sorry about the confusion before; yes, BK = Brooklyn. So acceptance letters should start filtering around the rest of the country beginning today. Good luck everyone!

For those of you who received letters, I assume that there was some sort of personal handwritten message in them? Like the word enthusiasm underlined, along with something like, "I can't wait to meet you!"? I thought that was a nice touch.

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 am

Series70 wrote:For those of you who received letters, I assume that there was some sort of personal handwritten message in them? Like the word enthusiasm underlined, along with something like, "I can't wait to meet you!"? I thought that was a nice touch.


Less nice now that I know everyone else got it too :(

Kidding. Did appreciate it. Almost canceled out the awful envelope/folder color. Almost.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Unemployed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 am

julesm2200 wrote:
mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.


hmm nice try, but I think you missed the part about "more positive words". :D anyone else want to give it a try?


Columbia's excellent LRAP is for all government/PI jobs, not just for the prestigious ones. Worst case scenario - you may have to take a public interest job that you don't like, but at least you won't have to worry about student loans.

So it's risky in the sense that you won't necessarily have glory or job satisfaction, but Columbia grads won't go bankrupt because of student loans.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 am

parker09 wrote:
Series70 wrote:For those of you who received letters, I assume that there was some sort of personal handwritten message in them? Like the word enthusiasm underlined, along with something like, "I can't wait to meet you!"? I thought that was a nice touch.


Less nice now that I know everyone else got it too :(

Kidding. Did appreciate it. Almost canceled out the awful envelope/folder color. Almost.

I liked the little folder. Wish there was more of a viewbook type thing in it. Will a binder come later?

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:27 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
parker09 wrote:I liked the little folder. Wish there was more of a viewbook type thing in it. Will a binder come later?


Ambiguous "additional mailings" to come later... but definitely an Admitted Students Handbook!

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 am

musketeerlady wrote:I'm in NYC, a few miles away from CLS. I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so was surprised to get a grade request for the semester abroad. It actually even brought my GPA down 0.05, so I was quite nervous. But I guess it didn't matter so much.

Hang in there georgina and others with recent requests; best of luck to you guys!


haha, thanks. i guess my desperation at this point has become rather obvious.

congratulations on the acceptance :D :D

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I was thinking the same thing the other day; my 4.3 index at Columbia and my 25th percentile LSAT made my admission surprising.


Won't be so surprising when you get your YLS acceptance.

Yeah, Kretzy, how did you not get a JR1? I, like V6, will not be shocked if you get YLS.


+a lot, especially considering the topic of your 250.


Thanks y'all :)

I'm below 25th LSAT and median GPA, so the lack of a JR1 was unsurprising. I've had a hell of a cycle though, WAY better than I (or my family) thought I'd have, so the lack of HLS/YLS is not upsetting at all!

User avatar
AliceB
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby AliceB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I was just told by a poster in another thread that paying sticker for Columbia was a risky investment and a bad idea. I come over here in search of more positive words...


20 years from now when you have a heavy bank account, a shiny diploma, and a job you actually enjoy, you will think it's funny you ever asked this question.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28159
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

mochafury wrote:Risky investment, yes. Because you probably need to be median and better for biglaw, and even better than that for top PI (LRAP profit?!?!) work. Don't care who you are, that's not a given at a place with as many smart people as Columbia.

Bad idea, no. Great placement, very good LRAP, tremendous alumni network. The loans are hefty, but that degree is so shinyyyy.


Median or better? No, sir. If Chicago placed 70-ish% of their 2Ls into Vault 50 firms, Columbia is probably around the same. I would imagine if you consider NLJ "Biglaw," you need to be in the top 75%. I'm sure that a large portion of the bottom 75% can still find midlaw and other jobs, too.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, alex114, Assasindowntheavenue, Baidu [Spider], chili_davis, curry1, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], guybourdin, jtawil, laowhynot109, lawcapture, mccracal, NotAGolfer, pandaaa, Pugnax, Sawtooth and 36 guests