Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hannah87 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
catwoman wrote:
irie wrote:
azntwice wrote:Even if you complete AFTER the ED deadline, you are still considered in the same pool, correct? I remember there was someone last year whom that happened for. And they received their decision before others who completed way earlier.


pretty sure as long as they received your app before 11/15 you will hear in one of 3-4 waves, starting day before thanksgiving and then every friday until christmas.


Is this only true for ED people? I'm RD but submitted my application early, and it certainly would be nice to hear in December.


People are applying RD to CLS this year? How quaint.


Why quaint?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:17 am

hannah87 wrote:Why quaint?

Because half the world applied ED to CLS this year.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hannah87 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:21 am

crackberry wrote:
hannah87 wrote:Why quaint?

Because half the world applied ED to CLS this year.


Got it. FML.

jocelyne
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby jocelyne » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:07 am

.
Last edited by jocelyne on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:12 am

Does anyone know if they do all of the ED before any of the RD? And is there any further notification on the status checker after "complete?"

Thanks!

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:52 am

jocelyne wrote:I still haven't received an APP RECEIVED email....anyone know if this is normal? Submitted Nov 9th. RD


yea, I never did either. I submitted around the same time (a bit earlier) but was getting panicky. However, and I think this will come as a big relief to you: you don't need to receive any emails to check your status on the columbia law website.
Go to the CLS website and you can just go to the status checker and create a user account using personal info such as email, social security number, lsac number, and birthdate and they'll give you access to your status. so no need to wait for an email, you can just go on the website now and see the status of your app. For me, it listed all my elements as received or complete and listed me as "completion pending."

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:01 am

still nervous about multiple lsats at cls, especially with how long its taking me to go complete and the millions of ED apps. I have like a 3.58 from top 10 ug, european grad work, and a 178 (multiple(2) lsats with a 174 average). However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in. 178 is another story. What do y'all think?

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Oban » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:14 am

crackberry wrote:
hannah87 wrote:Why quaint?

Because half the world applied ED to CLS this year.


Do you guys have numbers that say more people are than normal went ED, or are you just basing that on what people have said have declared so in this thread?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:still nervous about multiple lsats at cls, especially with how long its taking me to go complete and the millions of ED apps. I have like a 3.58 from top 10 ug, european grad work, and a 178 (multiple(2) lsats with a 174 average). However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in. 178 is another story. What do y'all think?


I think that they will probably look at your 178 because it is to their benefit to do so.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 am

Helmholtz wrote:People are applying RD to CLS this year? How quaint.

People ED'd to CLS this year? How adorable.

a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby a.shoshana » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:41 am

So I guess what I'm wondering is... who does the amount of people ED'ing negatively affect more?

The ED'ers (the ED boost doesn't help them that much if too many people ED)

or the RD'ers (no room left for them if too many qualified people ED).

??

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby wackjickham » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:45 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in.


I hope you're wrong. Those are my numbers :oops:

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:48 am

wackjickham wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in.


I hope you're wrong. Those are my numbers :oops:


I mean, its just a much more uncertain position. A blotch of yellow with some green dots mixed in on lsn rather than a pretty monochrome sea of green at 178.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Oban wrote:
crackberry wrote:
hannah87 wrote:Why quaint?

Because half the world applied ED to CLS this year.


Do you guys have numbers that say more people are than normal went ED, or are you just basing that on what people have said have declared so in this thread?


I was here for last cycle and have talked to people who were here the cycle before that. I know it's not a perfect sample or anything, but the number of people ED'ing at CLS seems to have gone through the roof. I don't think it's possible to have any hard data at this point, but I'm not expecting an ED boost to be pronounced at all this year.

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby cougarlive » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 pm

a.shoshana wrote:So I guess what I'm wondering is... who does the amount of people ED'ing negatively affect more?

The ED'ers (the ED boost doesn't help them that much if too many people ED)

or the RD'ers (no room left for them if too many qualified people ED).

??



Is it just me, or does Columbia really go out of its way to tell applicants ED doesn't help "boost" your chances of admission (compared to other Schools)?

(Aside from Duke which goes a step further and says that they evaluate ED applicants more rigorously)

Anyway, hoping the opposite is true for Columbia--and they show us all some Early Decision love! Good luck everyone, sounds like we should start hearing pretty soon!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 pm

cougarlive wrote:Is it just me, or does Columbia really go out of its way to tell applicants ED doesn't help "boost" your chances of admission (compared to other Schools)?


I thought their line was "no significant advantage," which is true. It's not like a 170/3.3 is going to be able to use ED to get into Columbia.

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby irie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

managamy wrote:Does anyone know if they do all of the ED before any of the RD? And is there any further notification on the status checker after "complete?"

Thanks!


I cant imagine why they would look at RD without finishing the EDs first, and no there is nothing after Complete, so you dont need to compulsively check anymore, just wait for their email.

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby SanBun » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Dear Columbia Law School,

the more I think about you, the more I realize that we belong together. No other school makes me feel the same way. When I think of being with you, I get chills all over. I know there are other contenders, some of whom may appear to be better than me, but I promise that if you choose me, I will give my heart and soul to make this work. I hope that you understand my early commitment as a sign of my never-ending love for you.

I am waiting patiently for your love letter.

Love,
SanBun

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby superserial » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:still nervous about multiple lsats at cls, especially with how long its taking me to go complete and the millions of ED apps. I have like a 3.58 from top 10 ug, european grad work, and a 178 (multiple(2) lsats with a 174 average). However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in. 178 is another story. What do y'all think?


in.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:11 am

superserial wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:still nervous about multiple lsats at cls, especially with how long its taking me to go complete and the millions of ED apps. I have like a 3.58 from top 10 ug, european grad work, and a 178 (multiple(2) lsats with a 174 average). However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in. 178 is another story. What do y'all think?


in.


At least an 80% chance.

User avatar
Legacy316
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 5:57 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Legacy316 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:13 am

managamy wrote:
superserial wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:still nervous about multiple lsats at cls, especially with how long its taking me to go complete and the millions of ED apps. I have like a 3.58 from top 10 ug, european grad work, and a 178 (multiple(2) lsats with a 174 average). However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in. 178 is another story. What do y'all think?


in.


At least an 80% chance.


ED? I'd be shocked if you didn't get in.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:15 am

Legacy316 wrote:
managamy wrote:
superserial wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:still nervous about multiple lsats at cls, especially with how long its taking me to go complete and the millions of ED apps. I have like a 3.58 from top 10 ug, european grad work, and a 178 (multiple(2) lsats with a 174 average). However, at 3.58 and 174 I'd not be all that likely to get in. 178 is another story. What do y'all think?


in.


At least an 80% chance.


ED? I'd be shocked if you didn't get in.


Oh, I didn't see that you were ED. I feel very, very confident that you are going to be :D when you hear from them.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:05 am

in. prohibitively expensive so i won't be going.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:49 pm

rejectmaster wrote:in. prohibitively expensive so i won't be going.

Does this mean you've been accepted. I'm confused.

User avatar
dudester
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby dudester » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:29 pm

How long has it taken you guys to go complete at Columbia?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”