Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Oban

Silver

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by Oban » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:12 am

Does anyone know how many people were admitted via ED last cycle? Any idea of typical numbers? seems some schools like UVA are all over ED applicants. While others only admit a few.

GlobeTrotter

New

Post by GlobeTrotter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:40 pm

So I was looking at the thread called Columbia Law Schol 2012, and the first post is on Friday, Novermber 28, when a poster says they got in 2 days earlier (Weds the 26th).

Do we know if many others were accepted on that date? This would be the 25th, next Weds, for us. Has anyone found other threads from last year or have anecdotal info?

The rest of the acceptances in that thread seem to come in two waves, 12/5 (Friday) and 12/12 (also Friday). So for us that would be 12/4 and 12/11. This is only looking at last years pattern.

Rurik

Bronze

Post by Rurik » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:So I was looking at the thread called Columbia Law Schol 2012, and the first post is on Friday, Novermber 28, when a poster says they got in 2 days earlier (Weds the 26th).

Do we know if many others were accepted on that date? This would be the 25th, next Weds, for us. Has anyone found other threads from last year or have anecdotal info?

The rest of the acceptances in that thread seem to come in two waves, 12/5 (Friday) and 12/12 (also Friday). So for us that would be 12/4 and 12/11. This is only looking at last years pattern.
I think that's the typical pattern. If you don't have an acceptance or a grade update request by the end of the second week of December, your waitlist/rejection letter's probably in the mail.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some receiving word before the end of November, but it will almost certainly be a very select few.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 pm

They send both acept/rejects to you via email a few days after sending the letters.

Rurik

Bronze

Post by Rurik » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Oban wrote:They send both acept/rejects to you via email a few days after sending the letters.
After reading through last year's thread and talking to others who applied in previous years, the general rule seems to be that acceptances are sent in pdf form via e-mail and the rejections are sent via snail mail with no e-mail. I could be wrong, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Rurik wrote:
Oban wrote:They send both acept/rejects to you via email a few days after sending the letters.
After reading through last year's thread and talking to others who applied in previous years, the general rule seems to be that acceptances are sent in pdf form via e-mail and the rejections are sent via snail mail with no e-mail. I could be wrong, though.
That is how it worked last year, yes. I'm an avid reader of the Columbia 2012 thread.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 pm

I've read the old CLS threads, but I'm not remembering this: does the status checker change between "complete" and decision time, i.e. is there an "under review" indication?

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I've read the old CLS threads, but I'm not remembering this: does the status checker change between "complete" and decision time, i.e. is there an "under review" indication?
Hey Helm!

I dont think it does, but I might be remembering wrong.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:32 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I've read the old CLS threads, but I'm not remembering this: does the status checker change between "complete" and decision time, i.e. is there an "under review" indication?
Hey Helm!

My recollection is that once the status checker goes complete, that's it until you get your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:34 pm

oneforship wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Hey Helm!

My recollection is that once the status checker goes complete, that's it until you get your decision.
Okay, that's what I thought. I was checking it once or twice every week or so thinking that there's a possibility it might change, but I'll just leave it alone. No use to stress myself out even more.

jocelyne

Bronze

Post by jocelyne » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:02 am

no it took my over two weeks to get the complete e-mail

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:14 am

Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Hey Helm!

Okay, that's what I thought. I was checking it once or twice every week or so thinking that there's a possibility it might change, but I'll just leave it alone. No use to stress myself out even more.
CLS 1L says: CLS's status checker never changes after completion. There's no point in checking it after you go complete.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:57 am

Sent my initial app last week of october and final letter went out to them from lsac like november 6th. still no emails, no confirmation of reception, etc. what gives? at 3.6/178 i imagine they'd pay some attention to me so are they just normally really slow in processing?

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:Sent my initial app last week of october and final letter went out to them from lsac like november 6th. still no emails, no confirmation of reception, etc. what gives? at 3.6/178 i imagine they'd pay some attention to me so are they just normally really slow in processing?
its peak season that's all, you'll get a reply soon im sure.

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Even if you complete AFTER the ED deadline, you are still considered in the same pool, correct? I remember there was someone last year whom that happened for. And they received their decision before others who completed way earlier.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:29 pm

azntwice wrote:Even if you complete AFTER the ED deadline, you are still considered in the same pool, correct? I remember there was someone last year whom that happened for. And they received their decision before others who completed way earlier.
pretty sure as long as they received your app before 11/15 you will hear in one of 3-4 waves, starting day before thanksgiving and then every friday until christmas.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

catwoman

New

Post by catwoman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 pm

irie wrote:
azntwice wrote:Even if you complete AFTER the ED deadline, you are still considered in the same pool, correct? I remember there was someone last year whom that happened for. And they received their decision before others who completed way earlier.
pretty sure as long as they received your app before 11/15 you will hear in one of 3-4 waves, starting day before thanksgiving and then every friday until christmas.
Is this only true for ED people? I'm RD but submitted my application early, and it certainly would be nice to hear in December.

a.shoshana

Bronze

Post by a.shoshana » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 pm

catwoman wrote:
irie wrote:
Is this only true for ED people? I'm RD but submitted my application early, and it certainly would be nice to hear in December.
+1. And can we be a little more specific about whether we're talking about ED or RD dates? It's getting a little confusing for us RD'ers...

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 pm

catwoman wrote:
irie wrote:
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it was only ED people back in the 2012 thread who heard in December. At work now, so I can't go back to verify.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:31 pm

oh sweet mother of god every time this thread pops up on the main page i think people have started getting in already. yeah, for such great schools, CLS and NYU aren't very efficient at processing files.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Just went complete at Columbia. I applied ED, but on my status checker it doesn't mention anything about being Early Decision. (In fact, it says I will receive a final decision no later than April). For those of you who applied ED, does your status checker state you are ED?

macattack

New

Post by macattack » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 pm

cougarlive wrote:Just went complete at Columbia. I applied ED, but on my status checker it doesn't mention anything about being Early Decision. (In fact, it says I will receive a final decision no later than April). For those of you who applied ED, does your status checker state you are ED?
No, it doesn't.

Edit: And mine says the thing about April too.
talibkweli wrote:oh sweet mother of god every time this thread pops up on the main page i think people have started getting in already. yeah, for such great schools, CLS and NYU aren't very efficient at processing files.
I feel this way too. I don't even read this forum that much but I come check for threads about Columbia and then obsess over them. I hope we hear next week...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:56 pm

catwoman wrote:
irie wrote:
People are applying RD to CLS this year? How quaint.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
People are applying RD to CLS this year? How quaint.
Only losers applied ED. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”