Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alchemist
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby alchemist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Columbia just starts later when it comes to reviewing apps.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:32 pm

ridleyroses wrote:i submitted my application on Halloween and still haven't received any kind of word about it, not an email or anything to acknowledge theyd received it. is this normal or cause for concern?


don't worry about it.

User avatar
bottomshelf
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:26 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby bottomshelf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm

I got a slim envelope from Columbia today. I opened it very quickly and it turned out to be from the latino/a law organization encouraging me to apply. Scared the crap out of me. Back to the waiting game.

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby SanBun » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:58 pm

ridleyroses wrote:i submitted my application on Halloween and still haven't received any kind of word about it, not an email or anything to acknowledge theyd received it. is this normal or cause for concern?


In case you haven't already done so, you should establish an account on their website- I hadn't received an e-mail from them upon submission either, but through my account I knew that they had received my app.

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby psychomohel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 am

I had a "Regular" added under the letters of recommendation in the status check. Anyone else had this happen?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28010
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 am

No. Mine says "Exemplary." Probably means your LORs were just regular, average, nothing special, unhelpful...

Split5
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Split5 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

VoidSix wrote:No. Mine says "Exemplary." Probably means your LORs were just regular, average, nothing special, unhelpful...


Haha

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

VoidSix wrote:No. Mine says "Exemplary." Probably means your LORs were just regular, average, nothing special, unhelpful...


Weird, mine says Orgasm. I guess mine were better.

User avatar
Lermontov
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lermontov » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:31 am

psychomohel wrote:I had a "Regular" added under the letters of recommendation in the status check. Anyone else had this happen?


If you're talking about how, underneath the "Recommendation Letters" Section, in the box with your recommenders' names, a new entry has appeared, mine says Early Decision.

So I'm assuming, since yours was Regular (Decision) it means they have now actually categorized everyone and are beginning to look at specifics of applications. Of course, if you applied ED, that's a horse of a different color.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 am

Lermontov wrote:
psychomohel wrote:I had a "Regular" added under the letters of recommendation in the status check. Anyone else had this happen?


If you're talking about how, underneath the "Recommendation Letters" Section, in the box with your recommenders' names, a new entry has appeared, mine says Early Decision.

So I'm assuming, since yours was Regular (Decision) it means they have now actually categorized everyone and are beginning to look at specifics of applications. Of course, if you applied ED, that's a horse of a different color.


This.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28010
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 am

Lermontov wrote:
psychomohel wrote:I had a "Regular" added under the letters of recommendation in the status check. Anyone else had this happen?


If you're talking about how, underneath the "Recommendation Letters" Section, in the box with your recommenders' names, a new entry has appeared, mine says Early Decision.

So I'm assuming, since yours was Regular (Decision) it means they have now actually categorized everyone and are beginning to look at specifics of applications. Of course, if you applied ED, that's a horse of a different color.


This is highly questionable. I'm pretty sure it is running the spectrum from Horrendous -> Poor -> Regular -> Exemplary -> Orgasm based on how good your LORs are.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 am

VoidSix wrote:
This is highly questionable. I'm pretty sure it is running the spectrum from Horrendous -> Poor -> Regular -> Exemplary -> Orgasm based on how good your LORs are.



This is the only logical thing. Also, if it says "Early Decision" it means they havent decided yet, but will do so early tomorrow.

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Uh, oh. Mine says regular but I definitely applied ED :oops:

Should I contact someone about this or give it a few days to work itself out?

User avatar
Rurik
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Rurik » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 pm

When is the earliest an early decision applicant usually hears back?

User avatar
trc332
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:37 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby trc332 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Mine says regular, but I applied ED as well

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 pm

And Voidsix's theory gains steam..

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby psychomohel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:27 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:And Voidsix's theory gains steam..


Mine just changed to Orgasmic, so +1

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby wackjickham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:44 pm

psychomohel wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:And Voidsix's theory gains steam..


Mine just changed to Orgasmic, so +1


UH OH GUYS I'M AT HORRENDOUS I'M FREAKING OUT.

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby cougarlive » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:48 pm

trc332 wrote:Mine says regular, but I applied ED as well



+1

Also, does the "regular" show up after all your LOR's? I have 4 designated to go to Columbia, but it only has 3 listed, then the regular.

Is anyone else a reapplicant? It seems that my "my columbia" account is all of last year's info--getting a little worried that they've got things mixed up. I would call, except for the fact that they don't want you to call about your application status.

User avatar
CoutureChiq
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CoutureChiq » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:17 pm

cougarlive wrote:
trc332 wrote:Mine says regular, but I applied ED as well



+1

Also, does the "regular" show up after all your LOR's? I have 4 designated to go to Columbia, but it only has 3 listed, then the regular.

Is anyone else a reapplicant? It seems that my "my columbia" account is all of last year's info--getting a little worried that they've got things mixed up. I would call, except for the fact that they don't want you to call about your application status.


Mine also says regular, but I applied ED. I wonder if it's due to the fact that I listed that I was planning to take the Dec LSAT, so they automatically put in in the regular pile?

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby wackjickham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Judging by the fact that no one has said theirs says "Early," I think the Early/Regular theory has been crushed.

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby cougarlive » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:24 pm

CoutureChiq wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
trc332 wrote:Mine says regular, but I applied ED as well



+1

Also, does the "regular" show up after all your LOR's? I have 4 designated to go to Columbia, but it only has 3 listed, then the regular.

Is anyone else a reapplicant? It seems that my "my columbia" account is all of last year's info--getting a little worried that they've got things mixed up. I would call, except for the fact that they don't want you to call about your application status.


Mine also says regular, but I applied ED. I wonder if it's due to the fact that I listed that I was planning to take the Dec LSAT, so they automatically put in in the regular pile?



I still need to mail in my ED Letter.

However, about your Dec. LSAT, I got the following email from Columbia regarding my previous plans to take the Feb. LSAT.

Dear cougarlive:


Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Law School.

The October test is the last score acceptable to receive consideration for Early Decision admission for the upcoming year. The February LSAT score will not be considered for an Early Decision Candidate. In order to have the February score considered, you will have to request to switch from Early Decision to Regular Admission. However, the review of your application with the February test score will likely put you at a competitive disadvantage because by the time the February scores come in, the Admissions Committee will have made most, if not all, of its admission decisions.



In effect, you are likely to be competing for a spot in our "reserve" category. Candidates in the reserve category are not ordinarily ranked; rather, they are reviewed monthly beginning in June, and extending through August. If any openings in the entering class materialize, the committee may admit some applicants from the reserve group.



Best regards,



Columbia Law School


You might want to double check and make sure they are not holding your app. for reg. decision.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28010
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:25 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
This is highly questionable. I'm pretty sure it is running the spectrum from Horrendous -> Poor -> Regular -> Exemplary -> Orgasm based on how good your LORs are.



This is the only logical thing. Also, if it says "Early Decision" it means they havent decided yet, but will do so early tomorrow.


Correct. He's probably right on the border of Horrendous and Outright Reject.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28010
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:27 pm

My second theory is that the Columbia admissions office staff have been slipped estrogen pills for the last two weeks, and have confused the application cycle with the menstrual cycle and just want us to know everything is going according to plan.

Either that, or they sense that we think they're clogged up, and thus want to assure us that the bowel-movement-esque admissions cycle is regular.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby js87 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:29 pm

The "regular" thing may refer to a general letter as opposed to a "targeted" letter, as sent through LSDAS.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PDX4343 and 6 guests