Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kurama20

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby kurama20 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:26 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Oban wrote:Columbia's median is Stanfords 75th.

If by "Columbia's median is Stanford's 75th" you mean GPA then yes, but CLS LSAT range is higher and that was from last year's stats. With the crop of highly qualified ED CLS applicants this year they could definitely come really close to SLS on the GPA range, and frankly the LSAT range will probably be even higher than before.

by columbia's median = stanford's 75th percentile, he was talking about LSAT, not gpa

Scratch that whole thing...I thought he said the reverse. :oops: And just think that was BEFORE this year's influx of high number ED applicants.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:31 pm

kurama20 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

If by "Columbia's median is Stanford's 75th" you mean GPA then yes, but CLS LSAT range is higher and that was from last year's stats. With the crop of highly qualified ED CLS applicants this year they could definitely come really close to SLS on the GPA range, and frankly the LSAT range will probably be even higher than before.

by columbia's median = stanford's 75th percentile, he was talking about LSAT, not gpa

Scratch that whole thing...I thought he said the reverse. :oops: And just think that was BEFORE this year's influx of high number ED applicants.

Yessir, and there's a nice little >75th LSAT applicant waiting patiently for his ED acceptance right here. Very, very patiently.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to patiently refreshing my inbox.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

There is no way CLS will get to SLS' GPA numbers this year. Aren't they like 0.3 below? That's a huge jump. Plus, I have a hard time believing CLS could leapfrog SLS in the US News because SLS' acceptance rate, yield and peer review numbers are so much higher.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

crackberry wrote:

There is no way CLS will get to SLS' GPA numbers this year. Aren't they like 0.3 below? That's a huge jump. Plus, I have a hard time believing CLS could leapfrog SLS in the US News because SLS' acceptance rate, yield and peer review numbers are so much higher.

yeah I agree. also CLS better not increase their gpa by 0.3 or I'd be totally fucked! and since they're my #1 (realistic) choice, this would make me very depressed.

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm

I was refering to LSAT. not GPA

MetsFan

Postby MetsFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm

its comical at this point

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous. December 18th tomorrow? First acceptances on December 1st!

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Yessir, and there's a nice little >75th LSAT applicant waiting patiently for his ED acceptance right here. Very, very patiently.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to patiently refreshing my inbox.

lucky bastard, at least you get to refresh with the hope of having something pop up. i have gmail, which shows new messages instantly. all i've done this week is stare at my inbox.

nothing in the mail today. if i don't get something soon one way or the other i'm going to end up in an insane asylum.

dms87

Postby dms87 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 pm

I know I'm late, but on behalf of Helm

FUCK YOU COLUMBIA

(also, please accept me)
(but really, more the former than the latter)
Last edited by dms87 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Oban wrote:I was refering to LSAT. not GPA

Yeah I understand that, but hasn't Columbia's LSAT range been higher than Stanford's for a few years now? SLS is at 168, 170, 172 (or maybe 168, 171, 172 I'm not exactly sure). Needless to say, SLS' LSAT range is not why the school is T3.

SaraT

Postby SaraT » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Another ED waiting anxiously...does anyone know if there's a deadline for when they have to let ED applicants know by?

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm

SaraT wrote:Another ED waiting anxiously...does anyone know if there's a deadline for when they have to let ED applicants know by?

There's no "deadline" that I know of, and I'm pretty sure it can last well into January. :(

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:50 pm

This is old, but to answer the deadline question, this is from the blog on Dec. 7 (so looks like it will be through Chirstmas and early Jan)

Since news travels so quickly these days, you have probably heard that a few decisions were sent to candidates who applied under our Early Decision Plan. Not to worry if you have not been notified one way or another—we are still in the throes of reviewing applications.

Over the next few weeks we will continue to mail decisions: admit, deny, and postpone. Anyone admitted under the Plan should be certain to take care of matters agreed to in the contract by withdrawing from all other schools. If a decision on your candidacy is postponed until we have reviewed our regular applications, then you are free to remain a candidate for admission at any other law school. For those who are denied admission, I am afraid that it is the end of the line during this admissions cycle.

In some instances, we might request fall grades. This should not be taken as a bad sign, but rather as an opportunity to present us with some more information about your academic experience. In those cases, we are able to provide a decision soon after receiving the grades.

As for those in the regular pool, our entire focus will soon shift completely to reading your files in the general order in which they were completed, and then you too will be hearing from us about your new status. In the meantime, enjoy the holidays and do not be anxious because regular decisions will not start rolling out until very late January or early February.

—Nkonye Iwerebon, Dean of Admissions

Wouldugo

Postby Wouldugo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

I don't see where in the blog it says that they can let us know after December. Am I not seeing something? I've always assumed that this week would be it for ED applicants. I figure they're not going to work next week because of the holidays, and so, if we don't get an email this week and haven't gotten deferred/rejected, the bad news is probably making its way in the mail.

As horrible as the waiting and the suspense is, though, I would gladly suffer longer if that meant I still have a shot (as little as it may be). What do you guys think?

SaraT

Postby SaraT » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:This is old, but to answer the deadline question, this is from the blog on Dec. 7 (so looks like it will be through Chirstmas and early Jan)

Since news travels so quickly these days, you have probably heard that a few decisions were sent to candidates who applied under our Early Decision Plan. Not to worry if you have not been notified one way or another—we are still in the throes of reviewing applications.

Over the next few weeks we will continue to mail decisions: admit, deny, and postpone. Anyone admitted under the Plan should be certain to take care of matters agreed to in the contract by withdrawing from all other schools. If a decision on your candidacy is postponed until we have reviewed our regular applications, then you are free to remain a candidate for admission at any other law school. For those who are denied admission, I am afraid that it is the end of the line during this admissions cycle.

In some instances, we might request fall grades. This should not be taken as a bad sign, but rather as an opportunity to present us with some more information about your academic experience. In those cases, we are able to provide a decision soon after receiving the grades.

As for those in the regular pool, our entire focus will soon shift completely to reading your files in the general order in which they were completed, and then you too will be hearing from us about your new status. In the meantime, enjoy the holidays and do not be anxious because regular decisions will not start rolling out until very late January or early February.

—Nkonye Iwerebon, Dean of Admissions

I was afraid of this...this is gunna give me a drinking problem :cry:

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Wouldugo wrote:I don't see where in the blog it says that they can let us know after December. Am I not seeing something? I've always assumed that this week would be it for ED applicants. I figure they're not going to work next week because of the holidays, and so, if we don't get an email this week and haven't gotten deferred/rejected, the bad news is probably making its way in the mail.

As horrible as the waiting and the suspense is, though, I would gladly suffer longer if that meant I still have a shot (as little as it may be). What do you guys think?

She just said over the next few weeks and this was on Dec. 7, so theoretically the mail may not come until the first week of Jan but you are right, most should hear before Jan.

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey everybody. So here's one more ED-er, and I've been sittin' around this thing waiting for signs of life from the Columbia admissions office. Well, lo and freaking behold, I got a deferral in the mail. I didn't even get to see the thing, but my roommate's been checking my mail and she delivered the news today.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:12 pm

highprofessionalism wrote:Hey everybody. So here's one more ED-er, and I've been sittin' around this thing waiting for signs of life from the Columbia admissions office. Well, lo and freaking behold, I got a deferral in the mail. I didn't even get to see the thing, but my roommate's been checking my mail and she delivered the news today.

Man, EDers are just coming out of the woodwork. Sorry to hear that, though, and sorry that your first post wasn't a happy one. :?

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
highprofessionalism wrote:Hey everybody. So here's one more ED-er, and I've been sittin' around this thing waiting for signs of life from the Columbia admissions office. Well, lo and freaking behold, I got a deferral in the mail. I didn't even get to see the thing, but my roommate's been checking my mail and she delivered the news today.

Man, EDers are just coming out of the woodwork. Sorry to hear that, though, and sorry that you're first post wasn't a happy one. :?

Sorry for being sneaky. Ha. Just figured I'd help give everyone a better picture of what's going on out there in the crazy world of Columbia ED.

On the bright side, they did ask for a transcript and I'll hit them up with some awesomeness - the UChicago 3.8's going up. Let's hear it for some hope. Sigh.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:20 pm

highprofessionalism wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

Man, EDers are just coming out of the woodwork. Sorry to hear that, though, and sorry that you're first post wasn't a happy one. :?

Sorry for being sneaky. Ha. Just figured I'd help give everyone a better picture of what's going on out there in the crazy world of Columbia ED.

On the bright side, they did ask for a transcript and I'll hit them up with some awesomeness - the UChicago 3.8's going up. Let's hear it for some hope. Sigh.

Yeah, well, the fact that they didn't reject you despite being notorious LSAT fiends is a sign of hope. Have you thought about retaking in Feb?

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Still havent heard. Maybe they let URM EDers hear last? However i don't have a smaple to go by. Any other URMs beside me and talib ED columbia?

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Oban wrote:Still havent heard. Maybe they let URM EDers hear last? However i don't have a smaple to go by. Any other URMs beside me and talib ED columbia?

me!!! did you get several letters from them before applying?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Oban wrote:Still havent heard. Maybe they let URM EDers hear last? However i don't have a smaple to go by. Any other URMs beside me and talib ED columbia?

i dont see why that would be the case. i know there are few that have been admitted on lsn.

to be honest, i'm sort of feigning ocd on here because i just submitted a dean's statement last friday; i figured it would take more than a week to hear back after that. however, you guys (not just urms) that have been complete for quite some time might be able to take away something from the fact that you guys haven't been dinged while others have.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Have any RDs gotten in yet?

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Legacy316 wrote:Have any RDs gotten in yet?

Nope. Won't happen till late Jan/Early Feb according to Dean of Admissions.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”