Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irie

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby irie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:41 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
wackjickham wrote:Does anyone know how much of an advantage applying early is? I have an LSAT at the 75th and a GPA between the 25th and median, probably at about 35th%. I loved Columbia when I went to visit but I didn't apply ED because I'm hoping to get scholarship money (not at Columbia but elsewhere). LSP has me as a "Consider" and basically a coin flip's chance. Does anyone know how much of an advantage applying early gives me? I submitted 10/3.

I think the higher you go in the rankings, the less of an advantage applying early becomes. It becomes less like "How much will applying early help me?" and more like "How much will applying late hurt me?"

pikalove wrote:How long does it take to get the complete email??

(Have most people gotten theirs??)

Waiting is going to KILL ME!!

I haven't heard a peep out of them yet, and I sent everything in on 10/29.

yeah, i'd take it easy, chances are it'll be 10 days or more. you won't get an answer for a while anyways, and when u do it'll be at the same time as everyone else, find something else to obsess over in the meantime :-P

irie

Postby irie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:42 pm

trc332 wrote:have you made a columbia account yet. thats where the status checker is

meh... it just tells you if your documents received and if your LORs are signed, but notification of decision is gonna be by snaaaaaail mail.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:36 pm

But it might tell you when you're under review?

irie

Postby irie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 pm

VoidSix wrote:But it might tell you when you're under review?

I'm under the impression that it doesnt... I could be wrong, will look at it again after work.

trc332

Postby trc332 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:23 pm

I dont think it tells you anything other than when you go complete. Which is what one of the posters above was wondering.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm

yeah, i'd take it easy, chances are it'll be 10 days or more. you won't get an answer for a while anyways, and when u do it'll be at the same time as everyone else, find something else to obsess over in the meantime :-P[/quote]

Same here! I submitted everything on 10/27, still not complete. I understand Columbia is popular, but I submitted my Harvard app at the same time and I'm already under review, and they receive about the same # of apps. I think Columbia's just trying to be exclusive, kind of like when there's a huuuuge line in front of a club even though it's not even packed LOL

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:05 pm

SanBun wrote:

yeah, i'd take it easy, chances are it'll be 10 days or more. you won't get an answer for a while anyways, and when u do it'll be at the same time as everyone else, find something else to obsess over in the meantime :-P

Same here! I submitted everything on 10/27, still not complete. I understand Columbia is popular, but I submitted my Harvard app at the same time and I'm already under review, and they receive about the same # of apps. I think Columbia's just trying to be exclusive, kind of like when there's a huuuuge line in front of a club even though it's not even packed LOL[/quote]

Thanks for the help everyone... I made the account, and they have everything but just don't feel like saying "complete" yet :cry:

The club analogy is perrrrfect. Columbia is just trying to be hot stuff by leaving us out in the dark as looooooong as possible. They are so hot they don't have time for me!! - yeah, good strategy Columbia! :roll:

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:13 pm

They will not say that you're complete until they get the paper copy of the LSDAS report. That can take some time as they have to manually enter that it has been received.

astetsen

Postby astetsen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Just spoke with LSAC and they said they said that Columbia should finally receive my last LOR on Monday (9th). Does anyone know if this will leave enough processing time? As long as all my materials are *in*, if not processed by them, by the 15th, will I be good with regards to the ED deadline (the rest of my materials, except for this one rec, were in on 10/23...) ?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:54 pm

astetsen wrote:Just spoke with LSAC and they said they said that Columbia should finally receive my last LOR on Monday (9th). Does anyone know if this will leave enough processing time? As long as all my materials are *in*, if not processed by them, by the 15th, will I be good with regards to the ED deadline (the rest of my materials, except for this one rec, were in on 10/23...) ?

I think you'll be fine. I submitted my app 10/27, still not complete, but I called Columbia recently and they told me that I should be fine by 11/15. They also said that there is a grace period, so presumably, as long as you followed the deadlines, they will accept your app as ED even if they haven't compiled it by the 15th.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Submitted over the weekend. I don't really stand a chance, but I'm holding out hope anyway.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:23 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Submitted over the weekend. I don't really stand a chance, but I'm holding out hope anyway.

You should get in just for your avatar., regardless of your numbers! Go POTMOM!

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm finally complete! I submitted ~10/20, and they just sent me an e-mail.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Just got the "You're application is complete" email...starting in a week or so, I'm going to start checking my mailbox incessantly. :oops:

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Just got the "You're application is complete" email...starting in a week or so, I'm going to start checking my mailbox incessantly. :oops:

The earliest acceptance last year was on 11/26, for someone who submitted very early. The rest rolled in after that. So give yourself a couple weeks at least. :wink:

Also, I believe acceptances came via email in a PDF attachment.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:37 pm

NYC schools just don't like me much. Went complete today after submitting 9.10.09.

I'm destined for a "Hold" if LSN is to be trusted, so it's not like it matters much.

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Columbia: what i want more than anything in the WORLD!!!!!

I got my complete email on 9/16.
WTF? What was i thinking?? Why did I apply so early? I'm just torturing myself...

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:48 pm

FUUUUUUU*KKKK COLUMBIA!!
I submitted my application for ED on 10/27 and my status is still "completion pending"
I called to check whether they received my signed ED form, and they told me to e-mail them, which I did 3 days ago.. NO ONE HAS RESPONDED !

I now hope they don't get my form in time because I don't want to commit myself to a school that doesn't give a sh*t. Every other school (including Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley etc) has been super responsive so far. Seriously, Columbia, get off your high horse, your not THAT special

superserial

Postby superserial » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:25 pm

SanBun wrote:FUUUUUUU*KKKK COLUMBIA!!
I submitted my application for ED on 10/27 and my status is still "completion pending"
I called to check whether they received my signed ED form, and they told me to e-mail them, which I did 3 days ago.. NO ONE HAS RESPONDED !

I now hope they don't get my form in time because I don't want to commit myself to a school that doesn't give a sh*t. Every other school (including Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley etc) has been super responsive so far. Seriously, Columbia, get off your high horse, your not THAT special

uh chill on the neurosis and obnoxious sense of entitlement. you didn't apply that long ago. you should know it could take several weeks for you to go complete depending on various factors. you should also know that schools are busy and aren't going to respond to your E-mails, no matter how special and important you think they are, right away.

so, "seriously," "get off your high horse, [you're] not THAT special."

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 pm

superserial wrote:
SanBun wrote:FUUUUUUU*KKKK COLUMBIA!!

uh chill on the neurosis and obnoxious sense of entitlement. you didn't apply that long ago. you should know it could take several weeks for you to go complete depending on various factors. you should also know that schools are busy and aren't going to respond to your E-mails, no matter how special and important you think they are, right away.

so, "seriously," "get off your high horse, [you're] not THAT special."

Personally offended?
I used this as a safe space to vent my frustration with one school, a kind of freedom many of us have enjoyed here and will hopefully continue to enjoy. You are getting two things confused: being worried that an opportunity to gain admissions might be jeopardized due to lacking responsiveness does not equal "sense of entitlement". So how about you chill out and don't see my opinion about Columbia as something you should personally be upset about, and certainly not as a reason to directly insult me. Unless you are a Columbia Admissions Dean, that is :lol:

TLSLove, SanBun
Last edited by SanBun on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:53 pm

And also: Yes, many schools do respond to e-mails promptly. I e-mailed Cornell, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford and Berkeley regarding a minor update to my file, and they all responded within 24 hrs, despite the incredible volume of applications these schools get. Dealing with potential students efficiently is a trait I respect in academic institutions, and clearly one that many top schools display. As you may notice upon a second reading of my initial post, I was disappointed w/ Columbia's responsiveness relative to other schools. So quite a few schools do respond to e-mails right away, regardless of whether these e-mails are "special" or not.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:57 am

dude, you applied a week ago, relax.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:22 am

What does "FUUUUUUU*KKKK" mean? I can't tell. Can I order this from a Chinese menu? Fook? Am I saying this right?

rrd8823

Postby rrd8823 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:18 pm

submitted my application on thursday 11/5

173, 3.72

good luck everyone

ridleyroses

Postby ridleyroses » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:43 pm

i submitted my application on Halloween and still haven't received any kind of word about it, not an email or anything to acknowledge theyd received it. is this normal or cause for concern?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”