Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lermontov

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lermontov » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:In past years have people gotten in RD after being deferred?

It's happened, but it's not very common.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:37 pm

so if ED people haven't heard by now, is it safe to assume we're getting rejections/WL? I heard they send out acceptances pretty fast at the beginning of december

MetsFan

Postby MetsFan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:42 pm

SanBun wrote:so if ED people haven't heard by now, is it safe to assume we're getting rejections/WL? I heard they send out acceptances pretty fast at the beginning of december

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

172, 3.8

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 pm

SanBun wrote:so if ED people haven't heard by now, is it safe to assume we're getting rejections/WL? I heard they send out acceptances pretty fast at the beginning of december

ED applicants have been accepted every week until Christmas in past years.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:56 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:

ED applicants have been accepted every week until Christmas in past years.

And the blog post said they would continue with a mix for the next few weeks. Easy does it, but be prepared for a small envelope in your mailbox that could contain anything from despair (reject) through anxiety (defer).

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:09 pm

got asked for a fall grade update this morning...

i don't think my grades will come out until early january...i take this as better than a deferral/rejection though, at least they're still interested. any stats on those who got grade requests in past cycles?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Definitely expecting one of those deferral letter over the next few days.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Definitely expecting one of those deferral letter over the next few days.

:(

What's your backup plan?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:14 pm

rx3r wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Definitely expecting one of those deferral letter over the next few days.

What's your backup plan?

Jump off cliff?

Nah, seriously, I'll just go to another law school. No biggie.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:16 pm

FWIW, our stats are very similar, but I didn't do any Columbia specific tailoring, nor do I appear (as I think you perhaps do) to be an obvious fit for Columbia. I look like I'm really more culturally suited for Stanford, or Cornell, or Michigan, or Georgetown. Something I'll hopefully explain better in a LOCI.
Last edited by Lermontov on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Lermontov wrote:

FWIW, our stats are very similar, but I didn't do any Columbia specific tailoring, nor do I appear (as I think you perhaps do) to be an obvious fit for Columbia. I look like I'm really more culturally suited for Stanford, or Cornell, or Michigan, or Georgetown.

What does that mean?

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 pm

rx3r wrote:
Lermontov wrote:

FWIW, our stats are very similar, but I didn't do any Columbia specific tailoring, nor do I appear (as I think you perhaps do) to be an obvious fit for Columbia. I look like I'm really more culturally suited for Stanford, or Cornell, or Michigan, or Georgetown.

What does that mean?

he has SARS

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rx3r wrote:

What's your backup plan?

Jump off cliff?

also: up to orientation, weekend drives to NYC to beg and plead.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rx3r wrote:

What's your backup plan?

Jump off cliff?

also: up to orientation, weekend drives to NYC to beg and plead.

Oh yea? You can stay at my place :)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:09 pm

gahthelaw wrote:Oh yea? You can stay at my place :)

And I will take you up on that. Per the NYC apt. discussion, I will be sleeping in your oven and fighting with the rats over crackers.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:Oh yea? You can stay at my place :)

And I will take you up on that. Per the NYC apt. discussion, I will be sleeping in your oven and fighting with the rats over crackers.

No no, they only have mice at Columbia. And then you just make a peanut-butter toilet roll into the trashcan trap (per the advice of a former Columbia student).

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Great! If you distract the rats I can grab the crackers, and then we've got dinner!

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am

+1

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:18 am

Q: How heavily does LSAT performance factor into admissions decisions?

A: In reviewing applications to Columbia, no weights or relative levels of importance are assigned to any one specific criterion for admission. Indeed, the Admissions Committee takes the entire application into consideration to arrive at a final admissions decision. While strong LSAT scores may certainly indicate strength in one's application, the Committee considers the academic record, along with the other personal and biographical information in the file, most carefully.

I am really liking Columbia lately, but what is up with this quote? They give out an index telling how much they weigh the LSAT...

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Kakarot wrote:

A: In reviewing applications to Columbia, no weights or relative levels of importance are assigned to any one specific criterion for admission. Indeed, the Admissions Committee takes the entire application into consideration to arrive at a final admissions decision. While strong LSAT scores may certainly indicate strength in one's application, the Committee considers the academic record, along with the other personal and biographical information in the file, most carefully.

I am really liking Columbia lately, but what is up with this quote? They give out an index telling how much they weigh the LSAT...

I think it's probably just typical law school admissions speak meaning "We do what we want," but at the same time, they don't necessarily follow indexes 100%. It's not like, everyone with a 4.3 and above gets in, everyone else doesn't, so even though they do publish their index, they still probably take other information into consideration like they say.

MetsFan

Postby MetsFan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 pm

the weekend is so liberating

i have another 45 hours of freedom from refreshing my email

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:23 pm

MetsFan wrote:the weekend is so liberating

i have another 45 hours of freedom from refreshing my email

Where else did you apply, metsfan?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:31 pm

puppins wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

I think it's probably just typical law school admissions speak meaning "We do what we want," but at the same time, they don't necessarily follow indexes 100%. It's not like, everyone with a 4.3 and above gets in, everyone else doesn't, so even though they do publish their index, they still probably take other information into consideration like they say.

yeah, I hate how law schools are pretending to be holistic- I mean really, I'm guessing that 95% of the time they look at your # and if they don't like 'em, they just gloss over the app and toss it out unless you cured cancer or something, which then may get you a WL. Columbia in particular seems very # focused yet makes such a big deal of telling people of how holistic they are (the dean came to my school and said the same thing). Funny, seeing how in the past year virtually no non-URM with LSAT below 171 was admitted. I guess they're only holistic once you're 171+
Last edited by SanBun on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:34 pm

SanBun wrote:yeah, I hate how law schools are pretending to be holistic- I mean really, I'm guessing that 95% of the time they look at your # and if they don't like 'em, they just gloss over the app and toss it out unless you cured cancer or something, which then may get you a WL. Columbia in particular seems very # focused yet makes such a big deal of telling people of how holistic they are (the dean came to my school and said the same thing). Funny, seeing how in the past year virtually no non-URM with LSAT below 171 was admitted. I guess they're only holistic once you're 171+

Why is this a problem?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:36 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
SanBun wrote:yeah, I hate how law schools are pretending to be holistic- I mean really, I'm guessing that 95% of the time they look at your # and if they don't like 'em, they just gloss over the app and toss it out unless you cured cancer or something, which then may get you a WL. Columbia in particular seems very # focused yet makes such a big deal of telling people of how holistic they are (the dean came to my school and said the same thing). Funny, seeing how in the past year virtually no non-URM with LSAT below 171 was admitted. I guess they're only holistic once you're 171+

Why is this a problem?

it's not a problem, its just not what I understand as truly "holistic"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”