Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm

justice4me wrote:here's one trickle in: just got the acceptance letter via e-mail!

3.7 and 172


congratulations! are you ED? also, are you incredibly awesome in baby-saving, cancer-curing ways?

User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm

ahhh freaking out, really?

User avatar
justice4me
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby justice4me » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Yup, ED. I did once save a baby, and cure it of cancer, but i neglected to mention that on my application!

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby rx3r » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Congrats!

rrd8823
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby rrd8823 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Congratulations. Hopefully my 173 and 3.72 hold up ED

User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Yeah, congrats. I don't know if I can handle the trickle. Why can't they just send a large amount of acceptances at once, like other schools? 2 more weeks of trickling might make me flip

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:Yeah, congrats. I don't know if I can handle the trickle. Why can't they just send a large amount of acceptances at once, like other schools? 2 more weeks of trickling might make me flip


If you have read the Columbia 2009 thread, you will realize that "flipping" is not an uncommon occurrence during the trickle.

User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

I fear the trickle. I need to understand it. Are we talking only 1 trickle a day? Then I can close gmail now....a few tickles a week? A trickle in the morning, one after lunch? A trickly a day keeps the doctor away?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:55 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:I fear the trickle. I need to understand it. Are we talking only 1 trickle a day? Then I can close gmail now....a few tickles a week? A trickle in the morning, one after lunch? A trickly a day keeps the doctor away?


A trickle.

aFish6
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby aFish6 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Looks like that's the end of the day's trickle. :?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:58 pm

aFish6 wrote:Looks like that's the end of the day's trickle. :?


Someone please make a pee joke. I'm too high-brow for that.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
aFish6 wrote:Looks like that's the end of the day's trickle. :?


Someone please make a pee joke. I'm too high-brow for that.


seconded.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:00 pm

I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today. CLS has such a low 75% GPA compared to other schools in that range.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:01 pm

puppins wrote:I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today. CLS has such a low 75% GPA compared to other schools in that range.


Hope!

aFish6
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby aFish6 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:02 pm

puppins wrote:I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today.


The trickle makes you crazy.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:08 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today. CLS has such a low 75% GPA compared to other schools in that range.


Hope!


I was also looking at the USNWR rankings methodology and noticed that only medians count, not 25/75%. Why does everyone constantly talk about 25/75 instead of median?

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:12 pm

aFish6 wrote:
puppins wrote:I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today.


The trickle makes you crazy.


I'm not even ED, so I can't really blame the crazy on the trickle.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:12 pm

puppins wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today. CLS has such a low 75% GPA compared to other schools in that range.


Hope!


I was also looking at the USNWR rankings methodology and noticed that only medians count, not 25/75%. Why does everyone constantly talk about 25/75 instead of median?


Better gauge imo. You know what the middle 50% of the class is like instead of just the middle student.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:16 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:I was also looking at the USNWR rankings methodology and noticed that only medians count, not 25/75%. Why does everyone constantly talk about 25/75 instead of median?


Better gauge imo. You know what the middle 50% of the class is like instead of just the middle student.


True. But when people talk about rankings being the only reason for a numbers-centric admissions process, well, only medians would count then. From a rankings perspective, everyone who is above both medians at all is helpful, regardless of being below 75%; likewise, everyone below median hurts, even if it is above 25%. It just seems like a lot of people act like being above the 25%, even if below median, is beneficial to their app. I'm not sure if that's true?

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby bluejayk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:28 pm

puppins wrote:True. But when people talk about rankings being the only reason for a numbers-centric admissions process, well, only medians would count then. From a rankings perspective, everyone who is above both medians at all is helpful, regardless of being below 75%; likewise, everyone below median hurts, even if it is above 25%. It just seems like a lot of people act like being above the 25%, even if below median, is beneficial to their app. I'm not sure if that's true?


Heh, I was just made aware of this yesterday too. Someone mentioned it in another thread, and I was so sure he was wrong I went and looked up the methodology to back up my withering dismissal and was amazed to see he was right. This actually has rocked my law school admissions world a good bit. I mean, schools still report their 25/75th percentile numbers, but they don't affect their USNWR rankings. It really throws a wrench in my assumption that schools are primarily ranking-whores, it turns out they're mostly just LSAT/GPA whores. Or something..

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:33 pm

puppins wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:I was making a chart of 25/median/75s today. CLS has such a low 75% GPA compared to other schools in that range.


Hope!


I was also looking at the USNWR rankings methodology and noticed that only medians count, not 25/75%. Why does everyone constantly talk about 25/75 instead of median?

:shock:

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:35 pm

bluejayk wrote:
puppins wrote:True. But when people talk about rankings being the only reason for a numbers-centric admissions process, well, only medians would count then. From a rankings perspective, everyone who is above both medians at all is helpful, regardless of being below 75%; likewise, everyone below median hurts, even if it is above 25%. It just seems like a lot of people act like being above the 25%, even if below median, is beneficial to their app. I'm not sure if that's true?


Heh, I was just made aware of this yesterday too. Someone mentioned it in another thread, and I was so sure he was wrong I went and looked up the methodology to back up my withering dismissal and was amazed to see he was right. This actually has rocked my law school admissions world a good bit. I mean, schools still report their 25/75th percentile numbers, but they don't affect their USNWR rankings. It really throws a wrench in my assumption that schools are primarily ranking-whores, it turns out they're mostly just LSAT/GPA whores. Or something..


I wonder if they even care about their 25/75, or if that is just incidental (or really, a window into what the class looks like without a ton of purposeful shaping by adcoms).

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:45 pm

puppins wrote:
bluejayk wrote:
puppins wrote:True. But when people talk about rankings being the only reason for a numbers-centric admissions process, well, only medians would count then. From a rankings perspective, everyone who is above both medians at all is helpful, regardless of being below 75%; likewise, everyone below median hurts, even if it is above 25%. It just seems like a lot of people act like being above the 25%, even if below median, is beneficial to their app. I'm not sure if that's true?


Heh, I was just made aware of this yesterday too. Someone mentioned it in another thread, and I was so sure he was wrong I went and looked up the methodology to back up my withering dismissal and was amazed to see he was right. This actually has rocked my law school admissions world a good bit. I mean, schools still report their 25/75th percentile numbers, but they don't affect their USNWR rankings. It really throws a wrench in my assumption that schools are primarily ranking-whores, it turns out they're mostly just LSAT/GPA whores. Or something..


I wonder if they even care about their 25/75, or if that is just incidental (or really, a window into what the class looks like without a ton of purposeful shaping by adcoms).


To the extent that law schools' obsession with rankings is just an elaborate form of advertising (to attract the best students and perpetuate the cycle), the fact that this list contains only the 25/75th, combined with TLS's growing influence, lends quite a bit of weight to these figures. I bet they care.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:47 pm

I think if TLS is an influence in any way on admissions decisions, schools would only gun for higher rankings and nothing more.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:59 pm

puppins wrote:I think if TLS is an influence in any way on admissions decisions, schools would only gun for higher rankings and nothing more.


I will say one thing. This revelation (and now I feel dumb for assuming USNWR used all three medians) definitely makes me think schools actually place significant weight on the predictive value of GPA and LSAT. I mean, I always knew that was the philosophy behind it, but now we can't attribute as 3.7's significant admissions advantage over a 3.2 to "medians."




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hellohalo, LawSchoolTitan, sjs12, ws120 and 19 guests