Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:15 pm

Oban wrote:I think we have two waves left, and by waves i mean a hand full of people. Columbia had people get in ED every week till xmas last year IIRC

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:18 pm

puppins, have we narrowed down where the CLS adcomms are vactioning? I was thinking somewhere in the Caribbean, but I know some international applicant mentioned they may have spotted Dean Iwerebon sunning on the beaches in the south of France.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
def2104 wrote:
I think the rejections/deferrals started popping up in the mail around this time last year.


great. I guess my dream of returning to Morningside Heights is dead. I was really surprised to hear that a deferral from ED is pretty much the same as a rejection, as they never accept people after they defer them. Does anyone know if someone was deferred --> WL --> In?


There could still be some acceptances left, I wouldn't rule it out completely. I was just saying the deferrals usually start rolling out around this time.

I have researched CLS ED intensely. I have never heard of ED -> deferral -> WL -> in.


Helm your knowledge rocks my socks off...even when it is a depressing answer.

User avatar
M51
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:59 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby M51 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 pm

First CLS apt: 110th, 800$/m, 10x8.
Current CLS apt: 115th, 1000$/m, 17x14.
Utilities/Internet included.

It's all luck and bribery to get a good apt in NYC. CLS subsidized made a bigger diff before the market crashed... now you may get a better deal outside of CLS.

120 pages on this thread before july. :)

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:01 pm

M51 wrote:120 pages on this thread before july. :)


Way too low IMO. I'll put my money on 160.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:02 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:puppins, have we narrowed down where the CLS adcomms are vactioning? I was thinking somewhere in the Caribbean, but I know some international applicant mentioned they may have spotted Dean Iwerebon sunning on the beaches in the south of France.


I've heard Cannes is lovely this time of year.

MetsFan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MetsFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 pm

columbia, why must you do this to me?

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby dms87 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 pm

M51 wrote:First CLS apt: 110th, 800$/m, 10x8.
Current CLS apt: 115th, 1000$/m, 17x14.
Utilities/Internet included.

It's all luck and bribery to get a good apt in NYC. CLS subsidized made a bigger diff before the market crashed... now you may get a better deal outside of CLS.

120 pages on this thread before july. :)


10x8 as in the entire apartment is 80 square feet?

Wow, I'm assuming it was impossible to prepare food at home?

User avatar
lsathalon
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby lsathalon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 pm

MetsFan wrote:columbia, why must you do this to me?


Aw but they are so upbeat in their admissions blog and their emails signed "Best wishes." It is very difficult to be frustrated with such a nice admissions staff :)

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:25 pm

MetsFan wrote:columbia, why must you do this to me?



because laying on a beach is easier than reading your PS

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:26 pm

dms87 wrote:
M51 wrote:First CLS apt: 110th, 800$/m, 10x8.
Current CLS apt: 115th, 1000$/m, 17x14.
Utilities/Internet included.

It's all luck and bribery to get a good apt in NYC. CLS subsidized made a bigger diff before the market crashed... now you may get a better deal outside of CLS.

120 pages on this thread before july. :)


10x8 as in the entire apartment is 80 square feet?

Wow, I'm assuming it was impossible to prepare food at home?


that is smaller than

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:29 pm

puppins wrote:
dms87 wrote:
M51 wrote:First CLS apt: 110th, 800$/m, 10x8.
Current CLS apt: 115th, 1000$/m, 17x14.
Utilities/Internet included.

It's all luck and bribery to get a good apt in NYC. CLS subsidized made a bigger diff before the market crashed... now you may get a better deal outside of CLS.

120 pages on this thread before july. :)


10x8 as in the entire apartment is 80 square feet?

Wow, I'm assuming it was impossible to prepare food at home?


that is smaller than

--ImageRemoved--


i assume m51 is just talking about the size of his bedroom? (i hope!)

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby dms87 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:31 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:
dms87 wrote:
M51 wrote:First CLS apt: 110th, 800$/m, 10x8.
Current CLS apt: 115th, 1000$/m, 17x14.
Utilities/Internet included.

It's all luck and bribery to get a good apt in NYC. CLS subsidized made a bigger diff before the market crashed... now you may get a better deal outside of CLS.

120 pages on this thread before july. :)


10x8 as in the entire apartment is 80 square feet?

Wow, I'm assuming it was impossible to prepare food at home?


that is smaller than

--ImageRemoved--


i assume m51 is just talking about the size of his bedroom? (i hope!)


Yeah, then that's reasonable (I suppose!).

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:46 pm

gahthelaw wrote:i assume m51 is just talking about the size of his bedroom? (i hope!)
I think he probably is. I'm also in CLS housing, and my bedroom is 10'11" x 12'5". I'm in a 3-bedroom apartment share with a kitchen, dining room, full bath, and living room. The kitchen and dining room are both small but workable, and the living room (16'1" x 12'10") is pretty spacious for student housing in NYC. I'm paying $1,154/month for my share of the apartment.

MetsFan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MetsFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:03 pm

so if we had to guess, does anyone receive a decision today?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 pm

MetsFan wrote:so if we had to guess, does anyone receive a decision today?


I'm guessing no one will.

MetsFan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MetsFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:45 pm

only another 195 minutes of this misery for today

eas49
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby eas49 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Why are people saying ED acceptances are done, and the rest of ED decisions will be rejections and holds? Are these people right? Why?

Do ED rejections/holds come in email form as well?

Thanks.

aFish6
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby aFish6 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:18 pm

eas49 wrote:Why are people saying ED acceptances are done, and the rest of ED decisions will be rejections and holds? Are these people right? Why?

Do ED rejections/holds come in email form as well?

Thanks.


According to CLS' own admissions blog, ED decisions are still being made:
"Since news travels so quickly these days, you have probably heard that a few decisions were sent to candidates who applied under our Early Decision Plan. Not to worry if you have not been notified one way or another—we are still in the throes of reviewing applications." - Nkonye herself, two days ago

Rejections and deferrals come only via snail mail.

User avatar
Lermontov
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lermontov » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:30 pm

aFish6 wrote:According to CLS' own admissions blog, ED decisions are still being made:
"Since news travels so quickly these days, you have probably heard that a few decisions were sent to candidates who applied under our Early Decision Plan. Not to worry if you have not been notified one way or another—we are still in the throes of reviewing applications." - Nkonye herself, two days ago


I like you. Sad to say, I had actually forgotten that they had an admissions blog, and had no idea that such a sunshiney thing had been said by them.

eas49
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby eas49 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:32 pm

thanks guys. i saw that on the blog as well but had read somewhere (i think on this board) that acceptances aren't coming anymore...needless to say, i got concerned.

thanks again.

aFish6
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby aFish6 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:39 pm

I like Nkonye. I hope she likes me.

My emotions at this time are essentially infantile.

MetsFan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MetsFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:43 pm

off topic, but whats taking cornell so long to give out their decisions?

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:46 pm

MetsFan wrote:off topic, but whats taking cornell so long to give out their decisions?


theyre on vacation with CLS admissions.

User avatar
justice4me
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby justice4me » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:09 pm

here's one trickle in: just got the acceptance letter via e-mail!

3.7 and 172




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: azaleafire, hammy393, hellohalo, kthrynf, Long shot hero, nubcs, PDX4343, pkalltheway, sjs12 and 9 guests