Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hannah87

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hannah87 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 pm

They sent an email apologizing for the error. All is well again.

georgina

Postby georgina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 pm

gahthelaw wrote:nono, i meant that is IS really expensive. not a deal like not a good deal. like i am definitely paying half what some of those rents are and living someplace that made my parents go 'ooooooo this is niiiiiiiiiiiice'

but how long did it take for you to find your place, and how rare is a place like that? i've seen the apartments of friends who got "good deals," and they live in closets where the toilet and sink are basically stacked on top of the bathtub.

justice4me

Postby justice4me » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Kakarot wrote:Do you, who already live there, have cars? If so, how hard is it to deal with them?

I have yet to meet or talk to an NYU/CLS student who has a car.

I live in New York AND I have a car but the kicker is I also sleep in it.

georgina

Postby georgina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 pm

justice4me wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Kakarot wrote:Do you, who already live there, have cars? If so, how hard is it to deal with them?

I have yet to meet or talk to an NYU/CLS student who has a car.

I live in New York AND I have a car but the kicker is I also sleep in it.

AND you operate an illegal food stand out of it?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:40 pm

the problem with not having a car is that it makes me feel trapped in the city. i'd have no interest in using my car within manhattan. so I guess i'd be leaving the car a short mta ride away for weekend use.

alm2127

Postby alm2127 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:43 pm

with roommates, you can live on UWS (in 80's) for like 1,000-1,100 in a niceish place. you can probably find even cheaper than that as im basing it off friends who live there, and the rent will only get cheaper the closer to columbia you get.

the difference in how to find cheaper places is you'll likely not be in a luxury building. no doorman, a walkup, sharing a bath with 2-3 other people, no washer in building or central air, etc.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 pm

georgina wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:nono, i meant that is IS really expensive. not a deal like not a good deal. like i am definitely paying half what some of those rents are and living someplace that made my parents go 'ooooooo this is niiiiiiiiiiiice'

but how long did it take for you to find your place, and how rare is a place like that? i've seen the apartments of friends who got "good deals," and they live in closets where the toilet and sink are basically stacked on top of the bathtub.

it took me two months of search and stress and worry that i was going to have to move back in with my parents.

i think the thing is that in nyc you start to appreciate stuff that people in other cities assume everyone has. for example, i am really excited to have a dishwasher and a full size bathtub. i don't have the kind of space i would have in other cities, and i don't have a car, but i'm close to everything and i have a doorman that says hi to me and carries my grocery bags. i guess its about what you're willing to forego, especially in the city.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:45 pm

hannah87 wrote:They sent an email apologizing for the error. All is well again.

Me too...wasn't it horrible seeing "Admissions Columbia Law School" TWICE in a 15 min span, and both times it was crap?

MetsFan

Postby MetsFan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Dear B---- D-----,

Recently we sent you an email thanking you for registering for a “ My Columbia ” Law School account. It has come to our attention that some individuals received emails that were incorrectly addressed. We apologize for the error; please be assured that our system does have your correct information on file.

Once more, we thank your for your interest in Columbia Law School, and encourage you to learn more by exploring “My Columbia”.

Warmly,

Office of Admissions

I will accept your apology if you give me a decision now

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:49 pm

this thread has successfully made me absolutely terrified of living in NYC. probably an excellent way to thin the competition.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:51 pm

puppins wrote:this thread has successfully made me absolutely terrified of living in NYC. probably an excellent way to thin the competition.

I've lived here for almost 5 years, two of which I was getting my master's degree and working at a restaurant to survive. Please don't freak out, it can be done. PM me with any questions, seriously.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:53 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
puppins wrote:this thread has successfully made me absolutely terrified of living in NYC. probably an excellent way to thin the competition.

I've lived here for almost 5 years, two of which I was getting my master's degree and working at a restaurant to survive. Please don't freak out, it can be done. PM me with any questions, seriously.

Likewise. NYC is wonderful, and it can be done on the budget your school will give you. Just please get into CLS quickly. It's bad enough having to check my own school's waiting thread.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:54 pm

oh. well in that case...NYC is everything you have all heard about. everyone has that creepy cracked out look and is drinking 40s underneath bridges while waiting to steal and eat your cats. the subway is scary and just to survive i have to knife somebody at least once a week during my commute. don't come here.

however puppins, if you still want to come, i know a guy who knows a guy who can keep you safe, promise!

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

oh. well in that case...NYC is everything you have all heard about. everyone has that creepy cracked out look and is drinking 40s underneath bridges while waiting to steal and eat your cats. the subway is scary and just to survive i have to knife somebody at least once a week during my commute. don't come here.

however puppins, if you still want to come, i know a guy who knows a guy who can keep you safe, promise!

I am imagining gollums with knives everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

I like the part about 40s

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:57 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

I am imagining gollums with knives everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

It really is like that though. I went to hs in the Bronx.. trust me. I know these things.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:58 pm

*holds puppy tightly to protect him from the specter of NYC*

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:00 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

we can all drink 40s from the safety of my high rise! do gollums climb particularly well in this post-apocalyptic nyc we've created?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

we can all drink 40s from the safety of my high rise! do gollums climb particularly well in this post-apocalyptic nyc we've created?

We can use discarded 40s as shanks to protect ourselves

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

Apparently I underestimated the number of cat eaters in NYC. Somebody should really warn FloridaGirl...

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

We can use discarded 40s as shanks to protect ourselves

good idea.

*runs out to buy bulk 40s*
Last edited by gahthelaw on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 pm

gahthelaw wrote:we can all drink 40s from the safety of my high rise! do gollums climb particularly well in this post-apocalyptic nyc we've created?

just mix LOTR and 28 days later together and that's what I am imagining.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:05 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:we can all drink 40s from the safety of my high rise! do gollums climb particularly well in this post-apocalyptic nyc we've created?

Can we have 7 meals a day like hobbits?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:05 pm

puppins wrote:

this sounds awful. now i'm not so excited to get on the subway and go home...

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:05 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:

Can we have 7 meals a day like hobbits?

sure. they will just be 7 meals of human flesh.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”