Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oneforship

Silver

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by oneforship » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Tofu

5 for today that we know of.
Wow, assuming the #s are accurate, a below median LSAT too.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

oneforship wrote:

Assuming the numbers are right, here are the index scores of the admitted so far:

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm

talibkweli wrote:the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.
does anyone know for sure whether they review apps in the order completed, as they officially state, or do they just scoop up the big # first? I would prefer they would just openly tell us the truth instead of beating around the bush with the whole "we have holistic approach" talk, if in fact they do look at # first.

Anyways, does anyone know through inside sources what really goes on?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:55 pm

SanBun wrote:
talibkweli wrote:the last one went complete in mid-november, so perhaps its worth noting that they probably aren't reviewing the apps in the order of completion. that person got a 12 day turnaround, which must have been pretty sweet i think.
does anyone know for sure whether they review apps in the order completed, as they officially state, or do they just scoop up the big # first? I would prefer they would just openly tell us the truth instead of beating around the bush with the whole "we have holistic approach" talk, if in fact they do look at # first.

i mean, the language from every school suggests that they don't do it in order. also, just think about it: if they are working with a finite number of seats, it makes perfect sense for them to scoop the top numbers first before working their way down. that way, they can judge each application relative to the overall pool's competitiveness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:57 pm

talibkweli wrote:
SanBun wrote:

i mean, the language from every school suggests that they don't do it in order. also, just think about it: if they are working with a finite number of seats, it makes perfect sense for them to scoop the top numbers first before working their way down. that way, they can judge each application relative to the overall pool's competitiveness.
And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.
I'm confused about the index stuff. My index for Columbia is about 4.29 so I'm very close to some of the admits today but I really don't think my LSAT (~170) gives me much of a chance. Is index any sort of predictor of success?

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.
Here's hoping they eventually get down to the 4.1/4.2 mark. Assuming you're using the LSP numbers anyway.

MetsFan

New

Post by MetsFan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:

Assuming the numbers are right, here are the index scores of the admitted so far:

how do you calculate index scores?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:07 pm

MetsFan wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:

how do you calculate index scores?
LSN used to do it automatically, but I don't think it works anymore. YCR, one of TLS's mods, created this site: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/ that lets you enter in LSAT/GPA numbers and it will compute the index score, along with how it compares to last year's entering class.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Helmholtz wrote: And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.
On the other hand, maybe the crowd at TLS and LSN is so self-selecting that only the most overachiever-ish students are likely to use/ update it regularly. So maybe ppl with lower # were admitted, but we just don't know about it on this board.
At the end of the day, I think you're right. It just makes me sad that my chances seem so slim at this point even though I ED-ed :(

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:10 pm

crackberry wrote:
I'm confused about the index stuff. My index for Columbia is about 4.29 so I'm very close to some of the admits today but I really don't think my LSAT (~170) gives me much of a chance. Is index any sort of predictor of success?
It's not a perfect measure, but it's a guide. With some schools, it's more useful than others but it's best used while still keeping the LSAT/GPA numbers in mind and where they fall relative to medians/25ths/75ths/school preference, e.g. for Columbia, a 4.3 LSAT splitter will probably be better off than a 4.3 GPA splitter. IMO, it's a relatively easy way to compare multiple candidates.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:12 pm

SanBun wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: And they seemed to have a pretty strong wall at the 4.3 mark for the people admitted today. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm assuming the 4.2-4.3 people are the ones who are really going to be up in the air.
On the other hand, maybe the crowd at TLS and LSN is so self-selecting that only the most overachiever-ish students are likely to use/ update it regularly. So maybe ppl with lower # were admitted, but we just don't know about it on this board.
At the end of the day, I think you're right. It just makes me sad that my chances seem so slim at this point even though I ED-ed :(
Somewhere in the CLS acceptance thread from last year, I think there was a breakdown of acceptance/deferrals/rejects by index score. IIRC, 4.3's did very well, 4.2's were hit or miss, and anything lower rarely if ever got in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:12 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jose

non-urm, sub 4.1 index. there is hope yet!!
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:13 pm

yup...miserable waiting game. For those of us on the medians, it doesn't make sense to me why columbia would take us ED. Their best interests are to lock up students who would otherwise be able to attend HYS with their numbers. Rather, they would defer all of us median peeps to regular decision and pick and choose later on under the strong assumption that we'd all attend if accepted regular decision as well.

sorry to be debbie downer, i'm hoping that i'm wrong, but it seems rational...

here's to hoping that the index drops by .02 :)

sm515

New

Post by sm515 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:16 pm

I am an ED applicant with a 4.341 index just counting my highest LSAT but just a 4.251 index if I average my LSAT scores. I know they say that they consider both scores but I was hoping they'd just take my highest. Does anyone that was admitted today have two scores, and if so, does it seem like they just took your highest score?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:17 pm

talibkweli wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jose

I'm trying to figure out what's the deal with that profile. Reapplicant?

I'm not sure I trust those numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Home state advantage?

If it's a deliberate troll, it's been a long time coming. Some of those updates are from almost 2 years ago. Still, even re-applicants don't sway the rankings, so I'm not sure what difference that would make.

Whats an URM?

New

Post by Whats an URM? » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 pm

A white guy named Jose? Something is up.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Is it normal that I have not received any communication from Columbia after submitting on 11/10? I have the LSAC application processing acknowledgement and that's it.

Edit: I just accessed my My Columbia account to get a little more information. I have all the little green checkmarks that I need, and I've been "completion pending" since the 10th. It says allow at least two weeks for completion. It's been over three. I guess something should change soon now.
Last edited by Lieut Kaffee on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:25 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Is it normal that I have not received any communication from Columbia after submitting on 11/10? I have the LSAC application processing acknowledgement and that's it.
You have to go on their website and create an account.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Hey all. I've started popping in on these threads for schools I submitted to.

172/3.62, index 4.252

Yes, it's normal. The Columbia website has a status check that tells you not to expect completion until AT LEAST 2-3 weeks after your last submission. Considering the holiday, you're not in trouble.

You don't have to create an account on their website; you just need your name, birth date, and LSAC number to access the information.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks for both responses. I've actually had one of those accounts since before I submitted. Just never really thought to check it before getting an email from the school. See my edit above.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 pm

172/3.62, index 4.252

Edit: I just accessed my My Columbia account to get a little more information. I have all the little green checkmarks that I need, and I've been "completion pending" since the 10th. It says allow at least two weeks for completion. It's been over three. I guess something should change soon now.
i submitted on the 13th and and went complete yesterday, but I am ED
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Agreed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”