Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dummy66

New

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by dummy66 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:43 am

Complete since 2/18...still waiting :(

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 am

dummy66 wrote:Complete since 2/18...still waiting :(
That's realllllly not very long. I've been complete since around December 20th.

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:07 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

Yeah, needs to be at least a month before you can hop on the complain-train.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Not harsh enough. Less than a month? That's no freaking time at all. I was complete on Dec 2 and just got "held" last Friday. Sounds like there are still dozens of Dec-complete people waiting to hear something. I sympathize with them and lament that I must now wait again until April 21 to be officially rejected and move on with my life.

xokel87

Bronze

Post by xokel87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Not harsh enough. Less than a month? That's no freaking time at all. I was complete on Dec 2 and just got "held" last Friday. Sounds like there are still dozens of Dec-complete people waiting to hear something. I sympathize with them and lament that I must now wait again until April 21 to be officially rejected and move on with my life.
I went complete around 12/07 and got WL 2/17, but my boyfriend's waiting on 11/30 with a much better LSAT.... so.. I think the longer the wait, the more they're considering you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 am

xokel87 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
I went complete around 12/07 and got WL 2/17, but my boyfriend's waiting on 11/30 with a much better LSAT.... so.. I think the longer the wait, the more they're considering you.
I've always assumed I would get into Columbia though. This long wait just means I'm almost definitely out of the running for a full ride. It also means I can't list Columbia on my resume when applying for summer jobs. :(

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 am

mospina wrote:
summerschooled wrote:Held. Kind of obnoxious at this point, considering it's already March. Oh well.
snail mail?
Yep. I submitted way back in October, so it would've been nice to have gotten a real decision. Now, I'll probably already have committed to another school if they do eventually accept me.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:It also means I can't list Columbia on my resume when applying for summer jobs. :(
Could you really list it anyway unless you were dead set on enrolling? What would the line read, "I've been accepted to X, X, X and X law schools"?

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:19 am

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:It also means I can't list Columbia on my resume when applying for summer jobs. :(
Could you really list it anyway unless you were dead set on enrolling? What would the line read, "I've been accepted to X, X, X and X law schools"?
you could list it if your GPA was under 3.7

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:25 am

crackberry wrote:
What I wanted to put was something like "Will be attending Columbia Law School in the fall, pending decisions from other schools." I've thought about putting my LSAT score, but that seems douchey. Without either of those things my resume is pretty mediocre.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Still not harsh enough. I was complete on 9/16 and held on 2/13. :evil: [insert mean thing here]

I have to say, Columbia's whole 'hard to get' thing may backfire on them in my case. Until NYU ASW, CLS was hands-down my first choice. And if they had accepted me when they accepted EVERYONE ELSE - still like a month after timely and courteous NYU - I would have been super excited and would probably have attended their ASW on the 3rd/4th, and each school would have had an equal chance to win my heart. As is, NYU has fed me, shirted me, and generally entranced me, while I've still only seen the hideous exterior of Columbia. I have all this time to ruminate on the opportunities NYU offers without having heard Columbia's counteroffer. And, as my dad said, would I rather go to a school that snapped me up in the first batch, or a school with nearly identical admissions standards that kept me waiting for five months, only to send me a letter that said, "keep waiting"?

I mean, I'd still be overjoyed if I got in, but I'm not on tenterhooks about it anymore, and if Columbia does want [strike]my LSAT[/strike] me, that's pretty bad news for them.

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
I have to say, Columbia's whole 'hard to get' thing may backfire on them in my case. Until NYU ASW, CLS was hands-down my first choice. And if they had accepted me when they accepted EVERYONE ELSE - still like a month after timely and courteous NYU
Yeah, NYU's def not that nice. Complete since November and not a word from them. So consider yourself lucky?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:35 pm

fidesverita wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
I have to say, Columbia's whole 'hard to get' thing may backfire on them in my case. Until NYU ASW, CLS was hands-down my first choice. And if they had accepted me when they accepted EVERYONE ELSE - still like a month after timely and courteous NYU
Yeah, NYU's def not that nice. Complete since November and not a word from them. So consider yourself lucky?
Last year, the bulk of NYU acceptances reported on LSN came during the third week of December, with medium-sized batches following in the fourth week of January and the second week of February. So I think I would consider myself ordinary and you unlucky.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FCD

New

Post by FCD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Okay, been complete for a month now. I start anxiously shuffling through the mail tonight.

Good luck comrades, hopefully there'll be a large batch of VCEs coming this week.

LDC

New

Post by LDC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Has anyone called or emailed to check on the status of an application? I was complete 12/10 - I can't decide if that's good or if they're merely forgetting to reject me...

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

LDC wrote:Has anyone called or emailed to check on the status of an application? I was complete 12/10 - I can't decide if that's good or if they're merely forgetting to reject me...
would be interested to know as well, since i've been complete since october with no word. i'm assuming it means 'we hate you.'

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
LDC wrote:Has anyone called or emailed to check on the status of an application? I was complete 12/10 - I can't decide if that's good or if they're merely forgetting to reject me...
would be interested to know as well, since i've been complete since october with no word. i'm assuming it means 'we hate you.'
Maybe they love you but are just too scared to let you know of their affections.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 pm

BenJ wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Maybe they love you but are just too scared to let you know of their affections.
i dunno - i think i've made it pretty clear i'd say yes if they asked me out.

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Sorry for the rube inquiry but what's a 'VCE'?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:46 pm

just got a dean's scholarship offer from nyu but for various reasons really prefer columbia. does columbia usually match nyu $?

agentdedalus

New

Post by agentdedalus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:51 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote:Sorry for the rube inquiry but what's a 'VCE'?
Acronym for Columbia's notorious Vomit Colored [Acceptance] Envelope that is sent via snail-mail. Search this thread for a more, erm, substantial discussion of its various shades of colors and/or implications.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:56 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Still not harsh enough. I was complete on 9/16 and held on 2/13. :evil: [insert mean thing here]

I have to say, Columbia's whole 'hard to get' thing may backfire on them in my case. Until NYU ASW, CLS was hands-down my first choice. And if they had accepted me when they accepted EVERYONE ELSE - still like a month after timely and courteous NYU - I would have been super excited and would probably have attended their ASW on the 3rd/4th, and each school would have had an equal chance to win my heart. As is, NYU has fed me, shirted me, and generally entranced me, while I've still only seen the hideous exterior of Columbia. I have all this time to ruminate on the opportunities NYU offers without having heard Columbia's counteroffer. And, as my dad said, would I rather go to a school that snapped me up in the first batch, or a school with nearly identical admissions standards that kept me waiting for five months, only to send me a letter that said, "keep waiting"?

I mean, I'd still be overjoyed if I got in, but I'm not on tenterhooks about it anymore, and if Columbia does want [strike]my LSAT[/strike] me, that's pretty bad news for them.
I couldn't agree more.

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:56 pm

hahaha thank you. much more interesting answer than I expected.

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:just got a dean's scholarship offer from nyu but for various reasons really prefer columbia. does columbia usually match nyu $?
I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't apply for need-based aid at Columbia so I'm not sure if there's any hope.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 pm

fidesverita wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Yeah, but BaiAilian is an autoadmit at both schools. This is an example of yield protection possibly backfiring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”