Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
highprofessionalism

New

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by highprofessionalism » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
highprofessionalism wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
highprofessionalism wrote:Hey everybody. So here's one more ED-er, and I've been sittin' around this thing waiting for signs of life from the Columbia admissions office. Well, lo and freaking behold, I got a deferral in the mail. I didn't even get to see the thing, but my roommate's been checking my mail and she delivered the news today.
Man, EDers are just coming out of the woodwork. Sorry to hear that, though, and sorry that you're first post wasn't a happy one. :?
Sorry for being sneaky. Ha. Just figured I'd help give everyone a better picture of what's going on out there in the crazy world of Columbia ED.

On the bright side, they did ask for a transcript and I'll hit them up with some awesomeness - the UChicago 3.8's going up. Let's hear it for some hope. Sigh.
Yeah, well, the fact that they didn't reject you despite being notorious LSAT fiends is a sign of hope. Have you thought about retaking in Feb?
Def not retaking. I have to write my BA thesis on top of classes and work. I thought about December, but it was the Saturday before finals and I chose grades over LSAT. Maybe that was a bad call? Ha. We'll see.
Oban wrote:Still havent heard. Maybe they let URM EDers hear last? However i don't have a smaple to go by. Any other URMs beside me and talib ED columbia?
I'm a URM and I was deferred today. Fun.

hj2004

New

Post by hj2004 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 pm

After months of peeking with a perverted sense of satisfaction, I decided to join you guys in agonizing and cursing over Columbia's incompetence.

I chose to apply ED at Columbia by flip of a coin. My parents, who will be supporting me through the three years and still hold their hopes high up about me getting in at Harvard, of course, are not aware of this. So if I get in, I'll be happy. If I don't, I won't have to feel too guilty. I can't lose.

BTW, I did my undergraduate at Columbia and had to pass through where the lockers are for the law school students everyday for three years. They looked tired, everyday. It's hard to believe I want that for myself, but I do.

Good luck to you all.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Well, it's been real. Deferred. Letter dated 12/15.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

oneforship wrote:Well, it's been real. Deferred. Letter dated 12/15.
Gah, sorry onefor. Whereabouts in the country are you located? I suppose I'll be getting mine soon.

Edit: Nevermind, your LSN says Virginia.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Yeah, straight up ding. Ah well, you win some you lose some.
Helm, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sorry and very, very surprised.
:|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Ghost Writer

New

Post by The Ghost Writer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Recieved my Early Decision deferral today. Waiting until March must be a disadvantage of some sort.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:02 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Gah, sorry onefor. Whereabouts in the country are you located? I suppose I'll be getting mine soon.
I'm in DC. It says I'll be reconsidered in March, but I think we all can see the writing on the wall with that one. I will probably end up following through with a LOCI.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:08 pm

The Ghost Writer wrote:Recieved my Early Decision deferral today. Waiting until March must be a disadvantage of some sort.
Sorry to hear that. Yes, it has not been a good thing in the past as deferred candidates have historically not been accepted later in the cycle. But, with CLS appearing to be more cautious with EDers, perhaps this year will be different. Good luck to you.
oneforship wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
I'm in DC. It says I'll be reconsidered in March, but I think we all can see the writing on the wall with that one. I will probably end up following through with a LOCI.
Yeah, I'd definitely write one. Your LSAT could still make you desirable later in the cycle (at least that's what I'm banking on if/when I get deferred). :?
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost Writer

New

Post by The Ghost Writer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
The Ghost Writer wrote:Recieved my Early Decision deferral today. Waiting until March must be a disadvantage of some sort.
Sorry to hear that. Yes, it has not been a good thing in the past as deferred candidates have historically not been accepted later in the cycle. But, with CLS appearing to be more cautious this year, perhaps this year will be different. Good luck to you.
oneforship wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
Yeah, I'd definitely write one. Your LSAT could still make you desirable later in the cycle (at least that's what I'm banking on if/when I get deferred). :?

Thank you so much for encouragement! I appreciate it. Where you also ED?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 pm

The Ghost Writer wrote: Thank you so much for encouragement! I appreciate it. Where you also ED?
Yep. I'm still waiting to hear something, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. There hasn't been much in the way of good news over the past week or so.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:25 pm

everyone is dropping like flies. this is awful. sorry and good luck to everyone that was deferred or rejected today.

so how many of us are left?
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost Writer

New

Post by The Ghost Writer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:26 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
The Ghost Writer wrote: Thank you so much for encouragement! I appreciate it. Where you also ED?
Yep. I'm still waiting to hear something, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. There hasn't been much in the way of good news over the past week or so.

Well at the very least consider it a nice present to not have to pay sticker without seeing your Fin Aid package

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:24 am

There are some partners here at the office who are CLS alumni that I can pproach for letters, too, we'll see if that can help at all. Although I think the track record for ED deferrals is about 0%.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alex1243

New

Post by alex1243 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:27 am

talibkweli wrote:everyone is dropping like flies. this is awful. sorry and good luck to everyone that was deferred or rejected today.

so how many of us are left?
Mostly been lurking, but I sent in a grade supplement they asked for a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard. 3.8, 171.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:29 am

Sorry to hear about all these deferrals.

I'm checking in as an RD wondering if anyone knows when we can expect to start hearing? Also, do the status checkers eventually update to "decision" or to they stay at complete?

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40 am

Helmholtz wrote:Yeah, straight up ding. Ah well, you win some you lose some.
Helm, I'm sorry to hear that! After all the helpfullness and kindness they should have at least given you a deferral. Where else are you hoping to go/what's your #2?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:46 am

roxj wrote:Sorry to hear about all these deferrals.

I'm checking in as an RD wondering if anyone knows when we can expect to start hearing? Also, do the status checkers eventually update to "decision" or to they stay at complete?
dunno about the status checkers question but we should start hearing in late jan / early feb

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:48 am

maudlinstreet wrote:

dunno about the status checkers question but we should start hearing in late jan / early feb
Status checkers don't update after the complete notification.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:05 am

managamy wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

Status checkers don't update after the complete notification.
Thanks!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:49 am

[quote="roxj]

Thanks![/quote]

But don't think that I don't keep checking them anyway. :lol: at my OCD behavior.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:57 am

Well, it's been done before, for those of us deferred. Highly unlikely though, based off LSN. Looked like only 3 people have been ED, deferred and in.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bigjim6464

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soyable

New

Post by soyable » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:10 am

Also got my deferral letter yesterday.

Wouldugo

New

Post by Wouldugo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:17 am

I wonder if today is the last shot for EDers...

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 am

WOOT! Application went "complete" last night! Now I get to wait for months hoping that lightning strikes 8)

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:45 am

xcountryjunkie wrote:WOOT! Application went "complete" last night! Now I get to wait for months hoping that lightning strikes 8)
whats the time gap from complete-> decision for columbia RD?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”