Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BenJ

Silver

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by BenJ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

lawyering wrote:
BenJ wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote: that's what i was really hoping to do, too, but my parents have made it clear to me that they will not submit all that stuff for the FAFSA so short of a butler or hamilton, i'm out of luck :(
Eh? The FAFSA should allow you to apply as an independent. Unless you have an absurdly high income for a student (unlikely), you'll be fine.
The FAFSA allows you to apply as an independent, but law schools don't (with some age exceptions).
You're right, I wasn't thinking straight. I was thinking he could apply as an independent and then send a FAFSA correction with parental information later, but of course his parents aren't just unwilling to provide the information now, they're unwilling to do it ever.

SaraT

New

Post by SaraT » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 pm

AliceB wrote:
Core wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
SaraT wrote:So I haven't been checking this thread since I was deferred to March from ED pool :( Has anyone sent out LOCI? When is the appropriate time to send it out? And is it even worth it? thanks for any advice you can give!
I did it already. I'm obnoxious. Taking questions.
I did the same, last week.
I sent mine last week as well, on linen paper, signed in blood.
What are you guys writing about besides how much you want to go to Columbia? Are you putting in some additional stuff that wasn't in app or just emphasizing what you've already said in your apps? And how long is a LOCI supposed to be? Thanks!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 pm

I wrote about what I had accomplished in the last five months, what I was going to do in the next five months until law school, why I liked Columbia, and included an additional LOR.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:56 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
BenJ wrote:Columbia has a reputation for distributing need-based aid on a merit basis as well, though. That is, if two people have equal need, but one has a 180 LSAT and the other has a 172 LSAT, the 180 LSAT will get a lot more need-based aid.

Still, it's an annoying complication. *sigh*
Well I'm hoping for some totally non-need based merit aid under the guise of 'need-based aid'.
that's what i was really hoping to do, too, but my parents have made it clear to me that they will not submit all that stuff for the FAFSA so short of a butler or hamilton, i'm out of luck :(
Are you by any chance Meddow Soprano?

watts

New

Post by watts » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:58 pm

My Columbia story:

I, being smart enough to attend a top-law-school, inverted two digits of my current mailing address on some applications. In an attempt to fix the problem without looking like an idiot, I asked that all future mailings be sent to my permanent address. I left my phone number with a resident at the incorrect address, and figured all my bases were covered. As the waves of Columbia acceptances rolled in, I figured I'd been passed over.
The resident called me today and said there's mail waiting for me, he had just misplaced my number. Exactly three minutes after he called I got an e-mail from Columbia: "Congratulations again..." Turns out it had just been lost at sea.

I don't know if this story has a moral, but I had to tell someone. Getting news like this at work makes me fidgety.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:12 pm

watts wrote:My Columbia story:

I, being smart enough to attend a top-law-school, inverted two digits of my current mailing address on some applications. In an attempt to fix the problem without looking like an idiot, I asked that all future mailings be sent to my permanent address. I left my phone number with a resident at the incorrect address, and figured all my bases were covered. As the waves of Columbia acceptances rolled in, I figured I'd been passed over.
The resident called me today and said there's mail waiting for me, he had just misplaced my number. Exactly three minutes after he called I got an e-mail from Columbia: "Congratulations again..." Turns out it had just been lost at sea.

I don't know if this story has a moral, but I had to tell someone. Getting news like this at work makes me fidgety.
That's a pretty awesome save

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Lmao, if it was me, I would check my mail and then go over to the resident's place and check my mail there, everyday. :).

watts

New

Post by watts » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 pm

booboo wrote:

Lmao, if it was me, I would check my mail and then go over to the resident's place and check my mail there, everyday. :).
I'm not gonna lie. I did drive by there a few times looking for oversized envelopes poking out of the box but it made me feel a little creepy so I stopped.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ivorynightfall

New

Post by ivorynightfall » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:23 pm

can anyone tell me what your username for the admitted students' website is? is it your name, your lsac number, your social???

(and password as well, if possible!)

just got notification of acceptance via an email reminding me to sign up for admitted students days, but have no access to my mail abroad so have no idea of how to log on

also, does anyone know of any way I can check scholarships online?

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:can anyone tell me what your username for the admitted students' website is? is it your name, your lsac number, your social???

just got notification of acceptance via an email reminding me to sign up for admitted students days, but have no access to my mail abroad so have no idea of how to log on

I'm in the same situation, except I'm not abroad. I just didn't get the packet for some reason. I called the admissions office, and they told me to just keep waiting. They wouldn't tell me if I had received a scholarship. It's driving me crazy, because a mere acceptance would not be a game changer, but a scholarship would be...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Chichaca wrote:
ivorynightfall wrote:can anyone tell me what your username for the admitted students' website is? is it your name, your lsac number, your social???

I'm in the same situation, except I'm not abroad. I just didn't get the packet for some reason. I called the admissions office, and they told me to just keep waiting. They wouldn't tell me if I had received a scholarship. It's driving me crazy, because a mere acceptance would not be a game changer, but a scholarship would be...
Chichaca, would it need to be full ride to sway you, or would 1/2 be sufficient?

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:46 pm

englawyer wrote:
Chichaca wrote:

Chichaca, would it need to be full ride to sway you, or would 1/2 be sufficient?
I dunno. I'll cross that bridge if and when. Right now I just want my packet!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cherith Cutestory

New

Post by Cherith Cutestory » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Chichaca wrote:

Does people getting the accepted email mean acceptances are done being sent out?

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Cherith Cutestory wrote: Does people getting the accepted email mean acceptances are done being sent out?
I don't think so. Maybe it's just to follow up. Too early in the cycle to be done, I think.

I feel silly still waiting to hear from them, but it's just because the rejects haven't really gone out yet.

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:57 pm

it's generic

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Cherith Cutestory wrote:Does people getting the accepted email mean acceptances are done being sent out?
No. International applicants (and those abroad) get email acceptances.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ivorynightfall

New

Post by ivorynightfall » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Tofu wrote:

it's generic
what does that mean?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm

blue5385 wrote:Do you guys think the LSP predictions will be skewed this year because of the unusually high volume of (potentially brilliant) applicants? I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't put any faith in my 'strong consider' at CLS anymore.
Look at what havoc this cycle is having on competitive candidates!

I am sure your acceptance will be coming soon. :).

nateDgr8

New

Post by nateDgr8 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:
Tofu wrote:

it's generic
what does that mean?
The admitted student's website is not individualized, there is a generic login and generic information for all admits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ivorynightfall

New

Post by ivorynightfall » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

oh so basically there's no individualized information so accessing the website is not worth it?

i guess the login information is not worth it then; i'll just wait for my parents to get my forwarded mail...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm

The glass sphere that is my ego gets a small pebble thrown though it each day without a CLS letter.

/whining

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 pm

VoidSix wrote:The glass sphere that is my ego gets a small pebble thrown though it each day without a CLS letter.

/whining
yeah, I'm definitely getting anxious about my app, despite telling other people not to worry about it. you guys (you, bai, and other people with higher indexes than me) being in limbo as well is somewhat reassuring, but I'm losing a little bit of confidence here.

this whole waiting debacle is also making me rage hard about the fact that columbia still uses snail mail to communicate acceptances. using a phone or even just e-mailing accepted students seems like it'd be a lot faster and easier on our nerves, you know? ah well, hopefully they'll come through eventually! :)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:03 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
VoidSix wrote:The glass sphere that is my ego gets a small pebble thrown though it each day without a CLS letter.

/whining
yeah, I'm definitely getting anxious about my app, despite telling other people not to worry about it. you guys (you, bai, and other people with higher indexes than me) being in limbo as well is somewhat reassuring, but I'm losing a little bit of confidence here.

this whole waiting debacle is also making me rage hard about the fact that columbia still uses snail mail to communicate acceptances. using a phone or even just e-mailing accepted students seems like it'd be a lot faster and easier on our nerves, you know? ah well, hopefully they'll come through eventually! :)
If I end up not getting into SLS or CLS, I'll be pretty upset that I didn't ED like I was considering. But I sent in a LOCI and hopefully they come around (albeit slowly).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”