Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
multi720

New

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by multi720 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 pm

I wonder whether I should call tomorrow if they've made decisions for
regular applicants who have not been held/reserved earlier.
Slowly suffocating...as April passes by...
They need to make use of the online status checker, seriously!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:18 pm

You dropped the meter in that last line. Still, nice effort.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Genki wrote:I guess its NYU for me then.
+1 :(

otherside220

New

Post by otherside220 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 pm

multi720 wrote:I wonder whether I should call tomorrow if they've made decisions for

let me know if you do. application went complete in january and still no word. what could this mean?

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
:lol: i wish i had that option, too bad nyu has been even more silent than cls for me. about to leave the city for the first time in my life, pray for me guys :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

exdubliner

New

Post by exdubliner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 pm

hold -> reserve

so there's only been one hold -> admit that we know?

is there any realistic chance of getting in off hold?

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 pm

exdubliner wrote:hold -> reserve

so there's only been one hold -> admit that we know?

is there any realistic chance of getting in off hold?
Maybe if u have stellar #'s?

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:
:lol: i wish i had that option, too bad nyu has been even more silent than cls for me. about to leave the city for the first time in my life, pray for me guys :mrgreen:
about to spend more than 24 hours there for the first time, pray for me, girl. :lol: I'm a very happy country bumpkin.

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm

otherside220 wrote:
multi720 wrote:I wonder whether I should call tomorrow if they've made decisions for

let me know if you do. application went complete in january and still no word. what could this mean?

I'm in the same situation as you two, and I emailed today. Within 5 minutes, they responded, saying that my letter was in the mail as of today, April 21, 2010.

I wonder if the whole email-acceptance thing holds true for those of us who haven't been deferred or held? In any case, we'll find out tomorrow or Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 pm

What if they WL anyone who rushes them? I find it curious we don't hear anything for months then you call/email and all of a sudden it's in the mail. Today :shock:

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 pm

i was a regular hold and supposed to hear by today, im trying to resist the urge to call but ill probably cave if nothings in the mail tomorrow

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:What if they WL anyone who rushes them? I find it curious we don't hear anything for months then you call/email and all of a sudden it's in the mail. Today :shock:

Well, if the WL is in queue, I'd rather they just go ahead and send it out.
I seriously doubt they shifted me from one pile to another because of a harmless email asking for a status update.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 pm

tesoro wrote:Hey guys, I got a letter in the mail (dated 4/19) placing me in a "Reserve" group. This is after being placed in a "Hold" group back in February. My numbers are below both quartiles. I am not a URM. Is this some sort of sick joke or is there actually a scenario that they could conceive of admitting me? There isn't even data anywhere near my would-be point on LSN. Have any "Hold" applicants been subsequently rejected at this point?
Do you mind sharing any interesting soft factors you might have? I know conventional wisdom suggests that if one is below one 25th percentile then one should simultaneously be above the other 75th percentile: this is how the numbers are juggled to produce the results we see in USNWR.

But I think it is also fair to imagine the truly elite schools like Columbia accept atleast a handful of students under both 25th percentiles to add unique experiences and perspectives to their class that would otherwise not be provided to their class in the candidate's absence.

Wishful thinking I am sure, but I am hoping Columbia will agree with me that my MFA and film producing experience would add interesting dimension to the shape of next year's class and also facilitate a positive contribution, on my part, to employment stats three years from now.

Do you have similar characteristics that make you feel Columbia might be interested?
Last edited by twintipping_bumps on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Hmm... that is odd. I emailed them asking for my decision via email, because I won't be home until May, and they haven't gotten back to me. I'm in the April 21 hold batch.

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 pm

I put a very high premium on words. I would expect CLS, one of the most prestigious law schools in the world, to hold itself to an even higher standard of communication. When CLS states that I will "receive a decision from the Committeeno later than April 21st, 2010," I take it very seriously. I've certainly never been inarticulate or unpunctual in my dealings with them, and I'd expect them to be even more rigorous in their official communications with me. CLS's sloppy response to held candidates is frustrating and disappointing, if not disrespectful. I expected better.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:31 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote:I put a very high premium on words. I would expect CLS, one of the most prestigious law schools in the world, to hold itself to an even higher standard of communication. When CLS states that I will "receive a decision from the Committeeno later than April 21st, 2010," I take it very seriously. I've certainly never been inarticulate or unpunctual in my dealings with them, and I'd expect them to be even more rigorous in their official communications with me. CLS's sloppy response to held candidates is frustrating and disappointing, if not disrespectful. I expected better.
:lol: :lol: you didnt get the email in which they made the deadline much more ambiguous?

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
AdmiralNelson wrote:I put a very high premium on words. I would expect CLS, one of the most prestigious law schools in the world, to hold itself to an even higher standard of communication. When CLS states that I will "receive a decision from the Committeeno later than April 21st, 2010," I take it very seriously. I've certainly never been inarticulate or unpunctual in my dealings with them, and I'd expect them to be even more rigorous in their official communications with me. CLS's sloppy response to held candidates is frustrating and disappointing, if not disrespectful. I expected better.
:lol: :lol: you didnt get the email in which they made the deadline much more ambiguous?
nope

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:
nope
sucks, sorry. im pissed as well but id deposit in a heartbeat if columbia came calling

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
AdmiralNelson wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:
nope
sucks, sorry. im pissed as well but id deposit in a heartbeat if columbia came calling
Ditto.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 am

columbia needs to spend some money on fixing their admissions infrastructure, one of the most disorganized, unprofessional schools i've dealt with. if harvard can do it, then columbia definitely needs to fix their office. this is bullshit.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:32 am

Saya wrote:Hmm... that is odd. I emailed them asking for my decision via email, because I won't be home until May, and they haven't gotten back to me. I'm in the April 21 hold batch.
+1 I'm abroad and they e-mailed me my deferral letter and so I e-mailed them asking for my decision via e-mail again when they come to one and I haven't heard a word. I fear my rejection is floating over the Pacific.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 am

$1.99 wrote:columbia needs to spend some money on fixing their admissions infrastructure, one of the most disorganized, unprofessional schools i've dealt with. if harvard can do it, then columbia definitely needs to fix their office. this is bullshit.
harvard's leaving a bunch of people hanging in the dark. i wouldn't hold them as the standard.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am

Was accepted yesterday, except I withdrew in the morning before I got the note. I was notified in the mail, not through email. Not sure why. I was previously held (I applied in September)

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 am

theadw wrote:
wackjickham wrote:
I'm a little worried about this as well. I know Columbia has a reputation for not sending decisions until January, but in the event that they (or any other school) were to mail in December I would be at home for break. Is there any way I can notify them to mail to my permanent address for a few weeks?
The USPS offers a mail forwarding service that may interest you.

LMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

omg I needed this stress relief! The BITING sarcasm around here is HILARIOUS!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Was accepted yesterday, except I withdrew in the morning before I got the note. I was notified in the mail, not through email. Not sure why. I was previously held (I applied in September)
Really?
--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”