Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hopefullaw27

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by hopefullaw27 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Sent a loci via snail mail this past friday. Also requested a lor to be sent by lsac. Should I ask cls whether they received my loci? Also, in order for them to get my new lor they have to request a report, which they haven't done yet. Any advice on what I should do?

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:Sent a loci via snail mail this past friday. Also requested a lor to be sent by lsac. Should I ask cls whether they received my loci? Also, in order for them to get my new lor they have to request a report, which they haven't done yet. Any advice on what I should do?
i snail mailed them a new LOR directly, and they confirmed receipt. it also showed up on my status-checker.

xokel87

Bronze

Post by xokel87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:45 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:Sent a loci via snail mail this past friday. Also requested a lor to be sent by lsac. Should I ask cls whether they received my loci? Also, in order for them to get my new lor they have to request a report, which they haven't done yet. Any advice on what I should do?
LSAC says Columbia and some other schools (like Georgetown) make requests on Mondays. I assigned my new LOR's for waitlists Friday and they showed up on my gtown status checker yesterday even though LSAC didn't indicate that they'd been sent. Today it showed it was sent on LSAC and received on my Columbia status checker.. so I'd say just be patient. If you're concerned, you can always call.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:51 pm

TobiasFunke wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Hi guys,

Columbia 1L here. I just wanted to let you guys know that I didn't receive my merit-based financial aid until the end of March/beginning of April. I sent the Financial Aid Office my other awards on March 18th of last year, which is also when I submitted my FAFSA etc. Hang tight! They're still sending out acceptances and trying to figure out how to distribute their $$, but you've got plenty of time at this stage in the game. Don't be afraid to send them PDFs of your other awards!

Edit: also, if you haven't submitted your FAFSA/other FinAid forms yet, you won't hear about any merit money until you do so.
Thanks! When did you hear back about housing? And how bad's the first year?
I received my housing assignment on June 26th, so everyone relax for three months. :)

First year is/was rough. However, what's incredible is that Columbia has people from all walks of life (every ethnicity; mothers, husbands, people who just became legal to drink; punks, Olympic athletes, future politicians, hipsters, nerds, alcoholics). You come together in the summer and you're all in the same boat despite these differences, and you learn with eachother and from eachother. The way you view the world is completely changed. I know law students and lawyers have somewhat sketchy reputations, but I've met some of the nicest, most amazing friends at CLS, and being able to see them (both in the law school and at the myriad bars/parties we go to) makes the workload worth it. You really are in it together.

Lermontov

Bronze

Post by Lermontov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Any early decision deferrals heard back yet? They did say 'end of March' . . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Lem37 wrote:First year is/was rough. However, what's incredible is that Columbia has people from all walks of life (every ethnicity; mothers, husbands, people who just became legal to drink; punks, Olympic athletes, future politicians, hipsters, nerds, alcoholics). You come together in the summer and you're all in the same boat despite these differences, and you learn with eachother and from eachother. The way you view the world is completely changed. I know law students and lawyers have somewhat sketchy reputations, but I've met some of the nicest, most amazing friends at CLS, and being able to see them (both in the law school and at the myriad bars/parties we go to) makes the workload worth it. You really are in it together.
awww, this brings a tear to my eye. :wink:

But seriously, it's good to know there is a strong sense of community at CLS even though has big classes & an urban campus.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:First year is/was rough. However, what's incredible is that Columbia has people from all walks of life (every ethnicity; mothers, husbands, people who just became legal to drink; punks, Olympic athletes, future politicians, hipsters, nerds, alcoholics). You come together in the summer and you're all in the same boat despite these differences, and you learn with eachother and from eachother. The way you view the world is completely changed. I know law students and lawyers have somewhat sketchy reputations, but I've met some of the nicest, most amazing friends at CLS, and being able to see them (both in the law school and at the myriad bars/parties we go to) makes the workload worth it. You really are in it together.
Hah. With no offense meant, this kind of statement was the only thing that bothered me about NYU; another admitted student summed it up well when she said that if she had to hear one more time about how NYU students are nice and help each other out, she was going to puke. So I'm actually relieved to see that Columbia is just as bad.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Hah. With no offense meant, this kind of statement was the only thing that bothered me about NYU; another admitted student summed it up well when she said that if she had to hear one more time about how NYU students are nice and help each other out, she was going to puke. So I'm actually relieved to see that Columbia is just as bad.
everyone from every school says this stuff. got the same thing at GULC, NU, UChi, etc

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
everyone from every school says this stuff. got the same thing at GULC, NU, UChi, etc
I think it's because when you go through something like your first year of law school, you're basically going to war. I really cannot emphasize how crazy your first year at law school is. I did practically NOTHING as an undergrad compared to the hours of work I put in each day at law school (on top of 4-5 hours of classes). A sense of comradery is inevitable! And your friends are definitely going to help you get through those days when you have class from 8 AM to 8 PM, or have a professor who goes nuts with the Socratic method, or have 3 job interviews between classes. And to be fair, I was just asked how the first year has been. ;)

Regardless, I think Columbia students may get somewhat of a reputation for being gunners and geeks (while NYU gets the laid back, hipster reputation) when there's basically the same mix of people at each. NYU touts their PI focus, and almost all of my friends are going into PI this summer (with Columbia's guaranteed summer stipend). In the end, it'll come down to your preferences for little things - a professor at ASW you liked, or the campus, or the classrooms.
Last edited by Lem37 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Lem37 wrote:I received my housing assignment on June 26th, so everyone relax for three months. :)

First year is/was rough. However, what's incredible is that Columbia has people from all walks of life (every ethnicity; mothers, husbands, people who just became legal to drink; punks, Olympic athletes, future politicians, hipsters, nerds, alcoholics). You come together in the summer and you're all in the same boat despite these differences, and you learn with eachother and from eachother. The way you view the world is completely changed. I know law students and lawyers have somewhat sketchy reputations, but I've met some of the nicest, most amazing friends at CLS, and being able to see them (both in the law school and at the myriad bars/parties we go to) makes the workload worth it. You really are in it together.
I hate to be a sketchy counterexample, but I often see you in JG and I have to fight the urge to come out and say (in front of others) "hi I am unemployed from top-law-schools.com."

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I received my housing assignment on June 26th, so everyone relax for three months. :)

I hate to be a sketchy counterexample, but I often see you in JG and I have to fight the urge to come out and say (in front of others) "hi I am unemployed from top-law-schools.com."
You'd be surprised by how many people did that in the beginning of the school year. I swear I don't bite! Much.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Checking in as deferred EDer. Still no word here, either.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Deferred ED-r here as well. Also the thread-starter! I emailed them last week and apparently I am under review and will know by the end of March. At this point I figure my chances are 70/15/10/5, reserve/rejected/held/accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Held today. :|

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

emrose wrote:Held today. :|
is it bad that i feel better sharing an admission decision with you?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
is it bad that i feel better sharing an admission decision with you?

:mrgreen:

<3

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:23 pm

deferred EDer...after grade request..sent in LOCI and another LOR last week..hoping for the best

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
I can see how it gets to be over the top/too rehearsed when you're hearing statements like this from multiple students at a school's ASW, but I find it a little reassuring considering what I have been hearing about the cutthroat atmosphere at my two top choices (CLS & Chicago). While I'm willing to put a lot of hard work into school, I'm not a super-competitive or cutthroat person, so hearing these schools characterized in this way was starting to scare me. I'm glad that there's at least one person willing to say things like this about CLS outside of the slightly forced setting of an ASW.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:41 pm

blue5385 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
I can see how it gets to be over the top/too rehearsed when you're hearing statements like this from multiple students at a school's ASW, but I find it a little reassuring considering what I have been hearing about the cutthroat atmosphere at my two top choices (CLS & Chicago). While I'm willing to put a lot of hard work into school, I'm not a super-competitive or cutthroat person, so hearing these schools characterized in this way was starting to scare me. I'm glad that there's at least one person willing to say things like this about CLS outside of the slightly forced setting of an ASW.
I was really worried about CLS being cutthroat when I first came there. There are actually very few gunners, and the rest of us can easily spot who they are and recognize that they're wasting class time and trying to self-promote. And then we mock them, openly.

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 pm

:(

(Hogwarts + chocolate frogs for free are better than CLS anyway <3)

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:20 am

Lem37 wrote: I was really worried about CLS being cutthroat when I first came there. There are actually very few gunners, and the rest of us can easily spot who they are and recognize that they're wasting class time and trying to self-promote. And then we mock them, openly.
Awesome! Mocking gunners is my specialty! Went to the Columbia event in DC last night. It was well put together. I got to meet some alumni and everyone had good things to say about the school. I have been really impressed with Columbia of late.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LDC

New

Post by LDC » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

are holds/deferrals via email, or is everything snail-mail? my goodness, it's been a long time since i went complete... (12/10)

jsbr1114

New

Post by jsbr1114 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 pm

LDC wrote:are holds/deferrals via email, or is everything snail-mail? my goodness, it's been a long time since i went complete... (12/10)
Everything is via snail mail unless you're abroad. Then you might have a pdf emailed to you.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 pm

LDC wrote:are holds/deferrals via email, or is everything snail-mail? my goodness, it's been a long time since i went complete... (12/10)
Everything is snail-mail.

manwitaplan

New

Post by manwitaplan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Is it ok to e-mail Columbia to ask for status update on an application, or would you steer against it and just set back and wait?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”