Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HerseyChris

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by HerseyChris » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:09 am

Tofu wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:That said, an LSAT score of 170+ is not as common as hanging out in TLS would lead us to believe
i always feel so inadequate with a 171 when i'm on this site haha :(

makes me wish i took my lsat studying more seriously
I don't know how anyone could say they wished they studied for the LSAT more. You got into frickin' Columbia! From now on, your LSAT score may as well not exist.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 am

HerseyChris wrote:
Tofu wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:That said, an LSAT score of 170+ is not as common as hanging out in TLS would lead us to believe
i always feel so inadequate with a 171 when i'm on this site haha :(

makes me wish i took my lsat studying more seriously
I don't know how anyone could say they wished they studied for the LSAT more. You got into frickin' Columbia! From now on, your LSAT score may as well not exist.
Obvious: he could have gotten into HYS.

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:47 am

Their index sucks. They have such a heavy bias towards a test in comparison to a GPA that's been earned over the course of four years. I would think that the classes you've taken, your performance, your school name, etc. would be a better indicator of your ability as a student and skill set than a standardized test.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 am

fidesverita wrote:Their index sucks. They have such a heavy bias towards a test in comparison to a GPA that's been earned over the course of four years. I would think that the classes you've taken, your performance, your school name, etc. would be a better indicator of your ability as a student and skill set than a standardized test.
I believe the key word there is "standardized," which is what quality/difficulty of classes and quality/difficulty of undergrad school are not...

And I'm saying this as someone with a mediocre LSAT, pretty good GPA, and prestigious undergrad school, so my bias would be to agree with what you're saying.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:24 am

fidesverita wrote:Their index sucks. They have such a heavy bias towards a test in comparison to a GPA that's been earned over the course of four years. I would think that the classes you've taken, your performance, your school name, etc. would be a better indicator of your ability as a student and skill set than a standardized test.
So wrong... Just so wrong. Me being poor in high school then going to a cheap school is not an indication of my intelligence or my ability.

LSAT on the other hand is the great equator. If you go to IVY league and get below 170 and I go to a state college or below and get above a 175 obviously adcomms can see who is more capable. And don't say you just don't do well on standardized test, because otherwise you wouldn't have gotten into a top college, SAT and all.

I am not talking about you or me personally fidesverita, just talking in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 am

Kakarot wrote:
So wrong... Just so wrong. Me being poor in high school then going to a cheap school is not an indication of my intelligence or my ability.

LSAT on the other hand is the great equator. If you go to IVY league and get below 170 and I go to a state college or below and get above a 175 obviously adcomms can see who is more capable. And don't say you just don't do well on standardized test, because otherwise you wouldn't have gotten into a top college, SAT and all.

I am not talking about you or me personally fidesverita, just talking in general.
And something tells me if fidesverita wants the name of their UG to be an important admissions factor, they probably weren't complaining in high school about the weight that standardized tests were given in the UG admissions process.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:24 am

crackberry wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:m51 (a current CLS student who has been incredibly good about CLS admittance discussion) said this about index:
M51 wrote:Basically, if a school has an index #, use that instead of your GPA/LSAT when trying to figure out your odds.
Thanks for the info, Helm. Did he say anything about Stanford's use of indexes or just CLS? (Sorry to hijack the thread. PM me if you want.)
Not that I know of, no.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Thanks for digging up the info, Helm. Did you catch any indication as to the success rate of 4.3 indices who apply ED but get deferred?
I have never heard of anybody being deferred ED and then being accepted RD, which sort of makes sense. Not saying there isn't a first time......
Wow, didn't realize deferral was that big of a death sentence. Good to know.

Excuse me while I go piss my pants.

Which thread is that stuff from M51 from? I didn't see it in the Columbia 2012 one.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ex#p838887
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ex#p702810
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ex#p702802

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:12 am

I applied to Columbia maybe 3 weeks ago - no E-mail of any kind received. Should I be concerned or is this standard?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:12 am

The Kim Jong illest wrote:I applied to Columbia maybe 3 weeks ago - no E-mail of any kind received. Should I be concerned or is this standard?
Go to mycolumbia and sign up...

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 am

Kakarot wrote:
The Kim Jong illest wrote:I applied to Columbia maybe 3 weeks ago - no E-mail of any kind received. Should I be concerned or is this standard?
Wait, am I an idiot? Is this something that needs to be done before any processing can occur? If so, I wish I had checked this thread earlier.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 am

The Kim Jong illest wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Wait, am I an idiot? Is this something that needs to be done before any processing can occur? If so, I wish I had checked this thread earlier.
No no.. It is just a status checker. My favorite status checker by far.

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:18 am

Kakarot wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
No no.. It is just a status checker. My favorite status checker by far.
Gotcha - but I have zero communication from the school at this point, so no ID etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:20 am

Kakarot wrote: No no.. It is just a status checker. My favorite status checker by far.
Gotcha - but I have zero communication from the school at this point, so no ID etc.
Err.. You have a name and LSAC number don't you?
Google Mycolumbia and sign up.... Then come back and thank me.

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 am

God this process makes me needy

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 am

https://www-app.law.columbia.edu/webpor ... heckstatus

Now I've done more work then you have to... If we both end up there and in the same section you already owe me.

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 am

They say to allow two weeks for completion. I have allowed nearly four. Heads will roll, people!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 am

The Kim Jong illest wrote:They say to allow two weeks for completion. I have allowed nearly four. Heads will roll, people!
Gonna nuke someone?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 am

The Kim Jong illest wrote:They say to allow two weeks for completion. I have allowed nearly four. Heads will roll, people!
Did you check the status checker and see what it said yet? You may be complete....

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:27 am

Kakarot wrote:
Did you check the status checker and see what it said yet? You may be complete....

You have no power. See what happened with the won..
Yeah, it says completion pending. Bastards.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:45 am

This is wrong....columbia's index implies that they actually places a relatively high premium on gpa relative to lsat. compare their formula to, say, BU's..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tarheel

New

Post by tarheel » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah, does anyone else have all of their application components checked off in green, but still have their status marked as "Completion pending"?

yelldk

New

Post by yelldk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:56 am

Just got an email. IN!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:58 am

yelldk wrote:Just got an email. IN!
hey congrats! mind sharing your numbers and when you went complete?

yelldk

New

Post by yelldk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 am

3.61 / 174

Submitted 11/14, Completed 11/19

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”