Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
summerschooled

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by summerschooled » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Have any of the people who got fall grade requests heard back yet?

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:17 pm

summerschooled wrote:Have any of the people who got fall grade requests heard back yet?
Yep--grade request on January 20, acceptance in the mail on January 28

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:19 pm

lsathalon wrote:
summerschooled wrote:Have any of the people who got fall grade requests heard back yet?
Yep--grade request on January 20, acceptance in the mail on January 28
Thanks, and congratulations! I'm still waiting after a December grade request, but I've been expecting a rejection.

ljmrc3344

New

Post by ljmrc3344 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:26 pm

booboo wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:
booboo wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:For those who are sending additional LORs: are you having the professor send them directly to Columbia or to LSAC, first? I asked Columbia and they said sending it directly in a sealed envelope was alright, but maybe if it had the signed LSAC form it would look more legitimate.
If you can get the professor to fax the form to LSAC, it will be handled quite quickly. You can then send it out to Columbia with minimal delay.
I was under the impression that LORs can only be sent to LSAC in a sealed envelope (I could not find any instructions for faxing on the website and they are closed for President's Day, so no calls until tomorrow.). Or am I mistaken?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=26020

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=50622

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=25251

Good luck!
Dank u wel, meneer.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:27 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:
booboo wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:
booboo wrote:
If you can get the professor to fax the form to LSAC, it will be handled quite quickly. You can then send it out to Columbia with minimal delay.
I was under the impression that LORs can only be sent to LSAC in a sealed envelope (I could not find any instructions for faxing on the website and they are closed for President's Day, so no calls until tomorrow.). Or am I mistaken?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=26020

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=50622

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=25251

Good luck!
Dank u wel, meneer.
What did you say about my mother?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:33 pm

blue5385 wrote: I don't think there is any eventuality, with those stats you'll probably get in as soon as they process your LOCI. During last year's cycle the last Hamilton was apparently given on 2/10 with no mention of a hold. Someone reported getting 75k on 2/18 last year, they didn't explicitly say if it was a named scholarship though.
Do you really think they'll look at any holds before April? I was under the impression that since the deadling to submit stuff was March 31, they wouldn't be reviewing anymore holds before then.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 pm

lz06 wrote:
blue5385 wrote: I don't think there is any eventuality, with those stats you'll probably get in as soon as they process your LOCI. During last year's cycle the last Hamilton was apparently given on 2/10 with no mention of a hold. Someone reported getting 75k on 2/18 last year, they didn't explicitly say if it was a named scholarship though.
Do you really think they'll look at any holds before April? I was under the impression that since the deadling to submit stuff was March 31, they wouldn't be reviewing anymore holds before then.
They will. There are too many candidates with excellent numbers (ITT at least) to ignore all of them until April.

ljmrc3344

New

Post by ljmrc3344 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:
booboo wrote:
Dank u wel, meneer.
What did you say about my mother?
That she is ever so lovely.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm

booboo wrote:
lz06 wrote:
They will. There are too many candidates with excellent numbers (ITT at least) to ignore all of them until April.
Yeah, I doubt they would want to take the chance of someone with auto-admit numbers who really wants to go to CLS, like this carter guy or Bai, thinking they are going to be rejected at CLS because they didn't hear back before April and depositing at HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:37 pm

blue5385 wrote:
booboo wrote:
lz06 wrote:
Yeah, I doubt they would want to take the chance of someone with auto-admit numbers who really wants to go to CLS, like this carter guy or Bai, thinking they are going to be rejected at CLS because they didn't hear back before April and depositing at HYS.
They also said in the letter that those held are "under active consideration." They are probably set aside in a pile and weighed with the ones still coming in. People with phenomenal numbers will be accepted, people like me with coin flip numbers may or may not get in.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:48 pm

jsarna1 wrote: They also said in the letter that those held are "under active consideration." They are probably set aside in a pile and weighed with the ones still coming in. People with phenomenal numbers will be accepted, people like me with coin flip numbers may or may not get in.
don't be so sure that CLS is going strictly by the numbers. case in point: me.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Haven't been following this thread much. Has anyone with a relatively low index been accepted RD yet? I'm curious if my chance at a miracle is closer to 0% or, say, 20-25%.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Haven't been following this thread much. Has anyone with a relatively low index been accepted RD yet? I'm curious if my chance at a miracle is closer to 0% or, say, 20-25%.
Someone mentioned being accepted with a 4.2 index earlier ITT. I don't remember who exactly though, sorry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:58 pm

blue5385 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Haven't been following this thread much. Has anyone with a relatively low index been accepted RD yet? I'm curious if my chance at a miracle is closer to 0% or, say, 20-25%.
Someone mentioned being accepted with a 4.2 index earlier ITT. I don't remember who exactly though, sorry.
Thanks for the response. Hoping for some resolution soon-ish. A WL from Columbia would have to be considered a win at this point. But I'd almost rather be put down sooner.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Am in New York for the week so I went to today's "Monday at Columbia." Really quite impressed. From outside pictures I expected the law school to be a concrete 70s nightmare. However the recent renovations are fantastic, really an incredible and seemingly comfortable facility. Very nice brunch with administrators and current students; though some of the other admitted students seemed pretty unimpressive.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:20 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Am in New York for the week so I went to today's "Monday at Columbia." Really quite impressed. From outside pictures I expected the law school to be a concrete 70s nightmare. However the recent renovations are fantastic, really an incredible and seemingly comfortable facility. Very nice brunch with administrators and current students; though some of the other admitted students seemed pretty unimpressive.
:-/

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Am in New York for the week so I went to today's "Monday at Columbia." Really quite impressed. From outside pictures I expected the law school to be a concrete 70s nightmare. However the recent renovations are fantastic, really an incredible and seemingly comfortable facility. Very nice brunch with administrators and current students; though some of the other admitted students seemed pretty unimpressive.
Oh yeah? What were you judging on, clothing brands and discussion topics?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Kronk wrote:
How is this not obvious?

Attractiveness, of course.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm

booboo wrote:
Kronk wrote:
How is this not obvious?

Seriously.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:26 pm

booboo wrote:
Kronk wrote:
How is this not obvious?

say it ain't so

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Kronk wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to know these criteria as well, to know if this is asshattery, general doucheyness, or somewhat legitimate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to know these criteria as well, to know if this is asshattery, general doucheyness, or somewhat legitimate.
To tell the truth I didn't get a chance to speak with that many other admits. I was in a small tour group and sat at a table with three other admits and a few administrators and professors. The one thing that stands out the most was the kid who used the word "douchebag" when speaking to the dean of admissions. I don't know really what in particular struck me about the other admits I met, no real general trend besides a general 'nothing specialness.' I liked the school a lot though. I think I just got a kinda bad group. The table of stanford and yale kids (who all seemed to know each other) next to mine seemed better. I think I'll end up at CLS so I don't think I'm being a pretentious ass or anything; I mean I spent the whole time there wearing some pretty heavy rose tinted glasses so its not like I was trying to find something to complain about. Still, I couldn't help thinking of my friends at YLS talking about how impressed they were by the brilliance of the admits they met during their admitted students weekend. I had a great time overall and was impressed by lots of things. I just was somewhat disappointed in the other admits I met.
Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:59 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:
To tell the truth I didn't get a chance to speak with that many other admits. I was in a small tour group and sat at a table with three other admits and a few administrators and professors. The one thing that stands out the most was the kid who used the word "douchebag" when speaking to the dean of admissions. I don't know really what in particular struck me about the other admits I met, no real general trend besides a general 'nothing specialness.' I liked the school a lot though. I think I just got a kinda bad group. The table of yale kids next to mine seemed better.
This was both funny and credited.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:10 pm

booboo wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
To tell the truth I didn't get a chance to speak with that many other admits. I was in a small tour group and sat at a table with three other admits and a few administrators and professors. The one thing that stands out the most was the kid who used the word "douchebag" when speaking to the dean of admissions. I don't know really what in particular struck me about the other admits I met, no real general trend besides a general 'nothing specialness.' I liked the school a lot though. I think I just got a kinda bad group. The table of yale kids next to mine seemed better.
This was both funny and credited.
yet it leaves the central question unanswered

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:19 pm

I think some of the admitted students were overwhelmed at the afternoon reception, since the 0L to 1L ratio was like 1:5. I guess we like our free wine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”