Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgina

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by georgina » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:05 pm

gossipgirl wrote:btw guys, i was prompted for my grades two fridays ago and they definitely made the decision on my e-mail to them and not my official transcript being mailed because my school takes a week to process the transcript...
seriously, you guys are driving me insane. info request this past tuesday = still hope for getting in this wave? oh my..

edit: fixed day
Last edited by georgina on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm

GargamelITT wrote:Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I'm in CA
*screams*

When'd you go complete?

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm

4910 wrote:

I'm in CA
might be flame
it's not.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Beatrice wrote:
TheWire wrote:

I'm in CA
congrats to you!

But you just ruined everyone's day in Cali...we're either going to be frantically searching our mailboxes or feeling down for the lack of word from Columbia....

PS. I sent them an e-mail asking whether a decision has been sent, I'll update if/when they respond!

PPS. I just received an e-mail back from Columbia saying that a decision has not been made and that given my completion date i shouldn't hear back till the end of February. My completion date was 12/2
wtf, you get an email back right away on that and I've been waiting a week for a response on my damn certification form?! Sorry, I'm very bitter about this (as you can tell).
they literally responded in 2 minutes...literally. It was very prompt and to the point. I couldn't even write that I had written them on my post before they sent it back. It might be follow-up time

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm

4910 wrote:

I'm in CA
might be flame
Seems unlikely based on the poster. Remember that mail delivery time is dependent not just on total distance from the starting point though. A lot of it depends on the logistics of the USPS and your specific location.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:

I'm in CA
*screams*

When'd you go complete?
no flame here, one of the best days of my life is all. completed real early, submitted late sept. sorry for raising stress levels, I'm surprised it got here so fast too

edit: maybe not one of the absolute best days, because I'm spending it flying back to school on the east coast, but I got a call from mom back home about a big ugly envelope. tonight should be good
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm

TheWire wrote:

I'm in CA
congrats to you!

But you just ruined everyone's day in Cali...we're either going to be frantically searching our mailboxes or feeling down for the lack of word from Columbia....

PS. I sent them an e-mail asking whether a decision has been sent, I'll update if/when they respond!

PPS. I just received an e-mail back from Columbia saying that a decision has not been made and that given my completion date i shouldn't hear back till the end of February. My completion date was 12/2
Wow, guess I'm in for the long haul. 12/17 here. :(

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:12 pm

georgina wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:btw guys, i was prompted for my grades two fridays ago and they definitely made the decision on my e-mail to them and not my official transcript being mailed because my school takes a week to process the transcript...
seriously, you guys are driving me insane. info request this past tuesday = still hope for getting in this wave? oh my..

had a request for info about my leave of absence this tuesday and nothing in the mail today. (unless it went to my home address which i doubt it did, but i'll update later if this is the case.) argh.

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm

FWIW:

I received my complete email 12/10 and they requested my fall grades 1/05 and I got an envelope today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 pm

In at Columbia!!

I live in Washington State so this was totally unexpected!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Doubtful but has anyone in FL heard??!

aad

New

Post by aad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm

TheWire wrote:
Beatrice wrote:
TheWire wrote:

I'm in CA
congrats to you!

wtf, you get an email back right away on that and I've been waiting a week for a response on my damn certification form?! Sorry, I'm very bitter about this (as you can tell).
they literally responded in 2 minutes...literally. It was very prompt and to the point. I couldn't even write that I had written them on my post before they sent it back. It might be follow-up time

Good to know... my complete date is within the same range as yours... I can stop compulsively checking my mailbox now

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:35 pm

georgina wrote:

yeah...you didn't need to tell us that. I was all ready to stop obsessing for a week or so. They responded to my email quickly but I know they still don't have my official grades. hmm..

big congrats garg! w00t. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 pm

GeePee wrote:
nixxers wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:as I predicatbly got now scholarhsip offer in my admissions letter I'm quite curious, as it seems many others are, about the workings of merit scholarships. specifically, to what extent the financial aid offers given this spring function as a form of merit aid. Hamiltons and butlers are designed to woo students from hls; but does CLS use merit money later on to woo students from its CCN peers. It is often mentioned here that merit enters into the financial aid considerations; however, are these awards still strictly given to people in a position of financial need. That is to say, is merit a means for deciding between two different candidates who both qualify as financially disadvantaged. I see a bunch of people with numbers like mine on LSN with 50 or 75k but I'm worried that if that money comes under the aegis of financial aid I won't qualify due to parental income and some stock in my name. If you can afford to graduate without too much debt would that preclude you from grants?
+1, I am interested in this as well. I wouldn't take CLS at sticker over HLS or the Darrow, but I was hoping I could wring some cash out of them since ppl on LSN with similar numbers seem to have done so...
"Need aid" is not always need-based at Columbia. I'm sure Superserial and a few others can vouch for this.
Absolutely. Typically, the non-named (ie, NOT Hamilton) scholarships are offered in March, when you start going through your financial aid with the schools. I did not receive a named and would absolutely not qualify for financial aid, but I used my other scholarships to leverage with Columbia. I'd say that a number of students (at least, the majority of my friends) received aid from them.

humdrum

New

Post by humdrum » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Congrats to today's admits!
Lem37 wrote: Absolutely. Typically, the non-named (ie, NOT Hamilton) scholarships are offered in March, when you start going through your financial aid with the schools. I did not receive a named and would absolutely not qualify for financial aid, but I used my other scholarships to leverage with Columbia. I'd say that a number of students (at least, the majority of my friends) received aid from them.
Does this mean that you received an initial fin aid offer from Columbia and then negotiated with scholarships from other schools as leverage?

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 pm

4910 wrote:anybody in texas hear anything?
In Texas, IN AT COLUMBIA!!!! 3.9/177, complete 12/1.

MTC87

New

Post by MTC87 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

nuts, i was hoping for some good news today here in NYC. anyone been complete since early December and not gotten word yet? is it a bad sign that i wasn't included in this wave (stats in profile)? im just about ready to start freaking myself out here.
Last edited by MTC87 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jimmyd11011

New

Post by jimmyd11011 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Lem37 wrote:
GeePee wrote:
nixxers wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:as I predicatbly got now scholarhsip offer in my admissions letter I'm quite curious, as it seems many others are, about the workings of merit scholarships. specifically, to what extent the financial aid offers given this spring function as a form of merit aid. Hamiltons and butlers are designed to woo students from hls; but does CLS use merit money later on to woo students from its CCN peers. It is often mentioned here that merit enters into the financial aid considerations; however, are these awards still strictly given to people in a position of financial need. That is to say, is merit a means for deciding between two different candidates who both qualify as financially disadvantaged. I see a bunch of people with numbers like mine on LSN with 50 or 75k but I'm worried that if that money comes under the aegis of financial aid I won't qualify due to parental income and some stock in my name. If you can afford to graduate without too much debt would that preclude you from grants?
+1, I am interested in this as well. I wouldn't take CLS at sticker over HLS or the Darrow, but I was hoping I could wring some cash out of them since ppl on LSN with similar numbers seem to have done so...
"Need aid" is not always need-based at Columbia. I'm sure Superserial and a few others can vouch for this.
Absolutely. Typically, the non-named (ie, NOT Hamilton) scholarships are offered in March, when you start going through your financial aid with the schools. I did not receive a named and would absolutely not qualify for financial aid, but I used my other scholarships to leverage with Columbia. I'd say that a number of students (at least, the majority of my friends) received aid from them.
Is this "aid" guaranteed all three years? I mean say they give you financial aid that is somewhat based on merit, and then when you file your FAFSA the next year, you (or your parents) have much greater assets. Could you lose some of this financial aid that you wouldn't have lost if it was purely merit aid?

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 pm

In!

Congrats everyone!

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:53 pm

In today after being WL'd by my alma mater UVA and having received the email of death from the flagship U of my own state.

keiko

New

Post by keiko » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Puffy wrote:In today after being WL'd by my alma mater UVA and having received the email of death from the flagship U of my own state.
Lol, must be a good feeling. :) Congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Puffy wrote:In today after being WL'd by my alma mater UVA and having received the email of death from the flagship U of my own state.
Berkeley?

SimonSaysStudy

New

Post by SimonSaysStudy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm

In! Holla! :o

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Is Gargamel the only California applicant to hear back yet?

Gargamel, you in NorCal or SoCal?

Richard Rorty

New

Post by Richard Rorty » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Congrats to all who got in!

I applied in early December hoping to have a shot at this batch. I didn't go complete until last week because i forgot to check one box about military service on my app and now I feel like I'm heading towards WL/Out territory at my #'s.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”