Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
booboo

Silver

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:18 pm

englawyer wrote:btw i am held 2/9 at Columbia as well
Thoughts on what you will do next englawyer? :).

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:19 pm

booboo wrote:
englawyer wrote:btw i am held 2/9 at Columbia as well
Thoughts on what you will do next englawyer? :).
I believe I had a Kanye picture on here that aptly demonstrates what englawyer will do...

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Sogui wrote:I would like to see some blatant examples of Columbia YP'ing, too many are just wishy-washy. Some people retake and only report the latest numbers so you'll see people from previous years getting rejected and held from schools with a 175/3.8 when the reality is that they were 168/3.8 during their actual cycle.
I think people are forgetting, being held is not a YP. It is an interest gauge. It basically becomes a tool for them to protect their yield by not extending offers to students who would withdraw. I think a 176/3.9 was held, and then claimed that s/he will withdraw. Also, someone else said that a significant number of held applicants are accepted, per last year's cycle.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm

booboo wrote:
Sogui wrote:I would like to see some blatant examples of Columbia YP'ing, too many are just wishy-washy. Some people retake and only report the latest numbers so you'll see people from previous years getting rejected and held from schools with a 175/3.8 when the reality is that they were 168/3.8 during their actual cycle.
I think people are forgetting, being held is not a YP. It is an interest gauge. It basically becomes a tool for them to protect their yield by not extending offers to students who would withdraw. I think a 176/3.9 was held, and then claimed that s/he will withdraw. Also, someone else said that a significant number of held applicants are accepted, per last year's cycle.
I thought it was stupid until I withdrew and realized it was totally effective.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Kronk wrote:
booboo wrote:
I thought it was stupid until I withdrew and realized it was totally effective.
Kronk, two things.

I hope I get into NYU.

I hope you go to an ASW at NYU, and that I have the opportunity to go to the same one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm

booboo wrote:Kronk, two things.

I hope I get into NYU.

I hope you go to an ASW at NYU, and that I have the opportunity to go to the same one.
I am going to the one in early March. Book your flight!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Kronk wrote:

I hope I get into NYU.

oh no, you guys are going to a different one than me! Guess I won't see you there

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm

englawyer wrote: btw i am held 2/9 at Columbia as well
Englawyer has already gotten into Harvard. I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew from Columbia, and I'm sure neither would they.

Also to Booboo, I think an interest gauge is yield protection. I think TLS posters have gotten so used to using the term "yield protection" for one kind of thing, but all it means it to protect the yield rate. An interest gauge protects a school's yield rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:28 pm

booboo wrote:
Being a numbers twin to that 176/3.9, I believe this is the first time I've probably felt like I was in a WEAKER position by being accepted to a school that they were held at.

CLS: "Yea we accepted you because even with your numbers you don't stand a chance at HYS, bwahahaha"
CLS: "That other guy is probably going to get in though, so we held him... he actually had some decent softs"

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:29 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Englawyer has already gotten into Harvard. I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew from Columbia, and I'm sure neither would they.

Also to Booboo, I think an interest gauge is yield protection. I think TLS posters have gotten so used to using the term "yield protection" for one kind of thing, but all it means it to protect the yield rate. An interest gauge protects a school's yield rate.
I do agree with your point on this. But being held is not the same as the WL many other schools use for YP.

To demonstrate this, I believe if Columbia had waited another 4 weeks to make a decision on the candidates held (instead of sending held letters), very few would have withdrawn by then.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:30 pm

booboo wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

I do agree with your point on this. But being held is not the same as the WL many other schools use for YP.

To demonstrate this, I believe if Columbia had waited another 4 weeks to make a decision on the candidates held (instead of sending held letters), very few would have withdrawn by then.
Exactly. It's a very minor, harmless form of YP.

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 pm

People who were held: If Columbia is one of my top 2 choices, should I sent a LOCI? The letter I received doesn't mention anything about a letter, which is in stark contrast to Chicago which encouraged a letter (although I was waitlisted there...)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Kronk wrote:

I hope I get into NYU.

when is this again? Around CLS ASW right?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I hope I get into NYU.

3-4? Or maybe 4-5? One of those two.

janer

New

Post by janer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 pm

jsarna1 wrote:People who were held: If Columbia is one of my top 2 choices, should I sent a LOCI? The letter I received doesn't mention anything about a letter, which is in stark contrast to Chicago which encouraged a letter (although I was waitlisted there...)
The held letter states that you can submit additional materials so I think you should send a LOCI.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Kronk wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I hope I get into NYU.

4-5

edit: You guys should all come to the late March one instead!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:58 pm

since we can turn in additional materials until 3/31, i am assuming they will not get back to us held applicants until april?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Kronk wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I hope I get into NYU.

Meetup imo. Bring your gf

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Joining the thread . . . never bothered because I figured I was an auto-reject candidate, but got my hold notice in the mail today, so now I'm revving up for the long game.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 pm

Damn still nothing in my mailbox. Complete 9/21... now I'm nervous that I'm in the 2/11 rejection batch. bah!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:20 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Meetup imo. Bring your gf

You're bringing your gf to ASW?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Kronk wrote:

no

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:27 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Kronk wrote:

no
Well played.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:37 pm

lz06 wrote:Damn still nothing in my mailbox. Complete 9/21... now I'm nervous that I'm in the 2/11 rejection batch. bah!
What 2/11 batch? The only postmarks I;ve read is 2/8-acc, 2/9- acc+waitlist+held, 2/10-rej+waitlist... No 2/11. Am I missing something?
BTW, seems everything is mixed and we have no idea what is coming.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”