Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
of Benito Cereno

Silver

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 am

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:LSN makes it seem like the first wave of acceptances after ED came around January 22nd, if I remember right.
Yeah, but the CLS website indicates early February for the first wave.
Darn it. Where does it say that? I would like to have an idea of where I'm going to law school before I start applying to summer jobs.
"The earliest completed regular decision applicants will probably start receiving decisions in early February."

http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/
Booo. But Here's hoping thats because domestic RD applicants only get news by snail mail. So maybe they send this week. As a international applicant I'm still holding out hope on getting a pdf email.... pleeeeease. According to previous lsn years we should hear this week though.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 am

crackberry wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:Confused by the wording. Is it supposed to be "The earliest THAT completed...." or "The earliest completed regular decision applications" (meaning those RD applicants who sent their apps in Sept/October)?
I think the latter - that those who submitted earliest will hear earliest. Though I have a hard time believing auto-admits who applied in November won't be in the first batch too...
Last year the first batch of acceptances was pretty much all the 4.4+ applicants who applies before xmas.

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
crackberry wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:Confused by the wording. Is it supposed to be "The earliest THAT completed...." or "The earliest completed regular decision applications" (meaning those RD applicants who sent their apps in Sept/October)?
I think the latter - that those who submitted earliest will hear earliest. Though I have a hard time believing auto-admits who applied in November won't be in the first batch too...
Last year the first batch of acceptances was pretty much all the 4.4+ applicants who applies before xmas.
There were applicants accepted in the first wave last year (1/22-1/24ish) whose files had gone complete in early january. I guess that means they must have applied before xmas? Either way, cls is not known for strictly rendering decisions for applications in the order they were received.

I'm still holding out hope that there will be some movement by the end of this week.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
crackberry wrote:
There were applicants accepted in the first wave last year (1/22-1/24ish) whose files had gone complete in early january. I guess that means they must have applied before xmas? Either way, cls is not known for strictly rendering decisions for applications in the order they were received.

I'm still holding out hope that there will be some movement by the end of this week.
Really. I don't see how they can wait to begin RD notification until february. Even yale has sent out some responses and they do full faculty review.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Really. I don't see how they can wait to begin RD notification until february. Even yale has sent out some responses and they do full faculty review.
Early YLS and SLS admits are expedited through the review process and do not go through full faculty review I don't think. I'm talking about those who hear in December. Berkeley does the same, though their committee review process works differently.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm

crackberry wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:Really. I don't see how they can wait to begin RD notification until february. Even yale has sent out some responses and they do full faculty review.
Early YLS and SLS admits are expedited through the review process and do not go through full faculty review I don't think. I'm talking about those who hear in December. Berkeley does the same, though their committee review process works differently.
I thought at Yale they just identify a select group of especially attractive applicants and put them to faculty review first.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:18 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
crackberry wrote:
I thought at Yale they just identify a select group of especially attractive applicants and put them to faculty review first.
I think their blog said that the auto-admits skip faculty review, like crackberry indicates.

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:51 pm

I thought I'd give this another shot...

How do you apply for the Hamilton?

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm

fidesverita wrote:I thought I'd give this another shot...

How do you apply for the Hamilton?
You don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Ok just double checking since I don't remember seeing anything on the app. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to do anything extra.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Well, I went complete today at Columbia. Sent app around 12/31. Odd that I'd go complete on a holiday though.

Richard Rorty

New

Post by Richard Rorty » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 am

I'm still completion pending...application was received on Dec 9 or 10. This is frustrating.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Every time I think of getting a decision from Columbia my stomach turns. With the lack of any scholarship info I've gotten from T14's so far, it's looking as if sticker at Columbia might be where I end up. If only that could happen...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Every time I see this thread's been updated, I think "maybe it's happening!?!" and rush here only to be wrong, wrong, wrong...

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Every time I see this thread's been updated, I think "maybe it's happening!?!" and rush here only to be wrong, wrong, wrong...
+1

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:41 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Every time I see this thread's been updated, I think "maybe it's happening!?!" and rush here only to be wrong, wrong, wrong...
ditto. i'm hoping for next week.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:41 pm

wackjickham wrote:Every time I think of getting a decision from Columbia my stomach turns. With the lack of any scholarship info I've gotten from T14's so far, it's looking as if sticker at Columbia might be where I end up. If only that could happen...
That's not a bad sign just yet. I've only gotten info for one school. If you don't hear anything by mid-late March, then worry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
next week would be quite lame. why start so much later this year? why?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
next week would be quite lame. why start so much later this year? why?
because at least next week is earlier than the 'first week in february' official tack they've taken on the blog
Last edited by gahthelaw on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Lemme pose something to the punditocracy here.

When the merciful first wave comes (tomorrow?? next week?), will it encompass pre-Thanksgiving applicants, pre-Christmas, or what? This is clearly of vital importance to us in the early-December complete crowd.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:02 pm

"Early February" is very troublesome. That could mean the first couple of weeks. What possible motivation could they have for pushing back the start of RD decisions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm

psychomohel wrote:"Early February" is very troublesome. That could mean the first couple of weeks. What possible motivation could they have for pushing back the start of RD decisions?
they know they have more than enough of us who are basically the same thing to fill their class more than twice over, so they don't care.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 pm

+1

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
psychomohel wrote:"Early February" is very troublesome. That could mean the first couple of weeks. What possible motivation could they have for pushing back the start of RD decisions?
they know they have more than enough of us who are basically the same thing to fill their class more than twice over, so they don't care.
But that has been true for a very long time, why the change now? I ask, because I expect you to have the correct answer.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 pm

psychomohel wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
But that has been true for a very long time, why the change now? I ask, because I expect you to have the correct answer.
sorry to disappoint. i'm just speculating like the rest of us. maybe because there's been such an upheaval in the nyc economy they want to wait until all the laid off analysts and ibankers get their apps in before rendering decisions on the rest of us?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”