Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Silver

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been such a creeper up until now--just lurking and reading all of your rants and worries. It's been nice knowing I wasn't alone, by the way. Got put on the reserve list today-- 3.81/168. I'm kind of kicking myself for not retaking at the last administration, since I was routinely prepping in the 175 range...anyway, good luck to everyone!

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm

js87 wrote:Anyone complete from early November still waiting? No word yet, but my stats make it a long shot; LSAT just under median, GPA at median. Non-URM.

Also, are holds coming through the mail? Are ALL decisions via snail mail, including holds and waitlists?
I'm complete from September and haven't heard anything yet.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Nothing at all for me today :? .

Come on, mailman. Someday I want to see some vomit in my doorway when I get home from work.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Rejected today. GPA slightly below median, LSAT below median. Not overly surprised or upset. Good luck to those still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 pm

blue5385 wrote:I just feel so sad and ignored by CLS...most of the people in this thread have gotten their decisions already, and I haven't heard back in any form--no decision or request for further info or anything (although I'm out of school so that could explain the lack of info request). I was complete in early December and I wish they would stop acting like my file does not exist and just acknowledge me somehow. I have no expectation whatsoever for an acceptance, but any form of communication would be excellent.

/rant
Complete since mid-September here. Not a word. (Hi psychomohel!)

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm

crackberry wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I just feel so sad and ignored by CLS...most of the people in this thread have gotten their decisions already, and I haven't heard back in any form--no decision or request for further info or anything (although I'm out of school so that could explain the lack of info request). I was complete in early December and I wish they would stop acting like my file does not exist and just acknowledge me somehow. I have no expectation whatsoever for an acceptance, but any form of communication would be excellent.

/rant
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:15 pm

crackberry wrote:

/rant
+1 Been complete since September.. not a word yet

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:17 pm

blue5385 wrote:I know people have been waiting longer than me crack, I just got frustrated by the fact that I'm probably going to be waiting another couple months for a hold, waitlist, or rejection.
Yeah fair enough. I agree it's annoying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:21 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I'm not sure why people find it so hard to believe that CLS yield protects. It's so easy to put an overqualified applicant on hold to see if he's truly interested. So why wouldn't they do it? By putting this 176/3.9 on hold, they just slightly boosted their rank because he's withdrawing. The adcoms at Columbia are very rational people who have been hired not just to give Columbia a good student body, but also to make their rank as high as possible. There's no good reason not to practice subtle yield protection.
Because they throw Hamiltons and Butlers at people that, for the most part, end up choosing HYS anyway. Why is it so hard to believe that not all schools are looking for the exact same thing? Maybe she just got a reader that was in a particularly bad mood or something.
That's really not good evidence that they don't yield protect. That's just evidence that some overqualified candidates get named scholarships and others get held or waitlisted but eventually let in if they don't withdraw. If Columbia didn't care about their ranking, they wouldn't be #4. Virtually all law schools care about their rank. If they didn't, Columbia and all the others wouldn't value GPA and LSAT so highly and devalue undergrad and major rigor and other small and medium soft factors. I don't think you can seriously tell me that you think that if that 3.9/176 had sent in a LOCI instead of a withdrawal that he would probably be rejected by Columbia. There's no way that person would be rejected by Columbia if he made it clear that he would attend. By putting him on hold, a very minor act, they've improved their stats.

dms87

Bronze

Post by dms87 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:46 pm

For Columbia, how does Waitlist compare to being put on Hold to being put on Reserve?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I don't think you can seriously tell me that you think that if that 3.9/176 had sent in a LOCI instead of a withdrawal that he would probably be rejected by Columbia. There's no way that person would be rejected by Columbia if he made it clear that he would attend.
I really, really hope you're right about that. Maybe I should get started on a LOCI now...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote: That's really not good evidence that they don't yield protect. That's just evidence that some overqualified candidates get named scholarships and others get held or waitlisted but eventually let in if they don't withdraw. If Columbia didn't care about their ranking, they wouldn't be #4. Virtually all law schools care about their rank. If they didn't, Columbia and all the others wouldn't value GPA and LSAT so highly and devalue undergrad and major rigor and other small and medium soft factors. I don't think you can seriously tell me that you think that if that 3.9/176 had sent in a LOCI instead of a withdrawal that he would probably be rejected by Columbia. There's no way that person would be rejected by Columbia if he made it clear that he would attend. By putting him on hold, a very minor act, they've improved their stats.

Huh? I don't think anyone is saying that CLS doesn't care about their ranking.

I think that it's hard to say that a school yield protects if they don't systematically yield protect. For example, look at the LSN graphs for Virginia, Penn, and Columbia. For VP, there is a point at which it is much more likely for a candidate to get waitlisted than accepted. For CLS, the vast majority of "qualified" or "over-qualified" candidates (according to GPA/LSAT) are accepted.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Nothing in my mail today in DC
If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
If you are in DC it is probably delayed, due to losing 2 days of mail service this past week. Do you know for a fact that you are getting something in the mail? What does your status checker say?
Well I know I am getting something in the mail because I am waiting on a few things so I think everything is just delayed

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Has anyone gotten anything from them marked later than 2/9?

edit: For the people who have heard back, is there ever a DR status, or does it just stay at complete forever until they choose to purge all traces of you from their system sometime in the summer or fall?
Last edited by blue5385 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runnerman

New

Post by runnerman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

democrattotheend wrote:

2 days! that's lucky! I haven't gotten mail since a week ago, last Friday. Today's trip to the mailbox is going to be scary...

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

runnerman wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

2 days! that's lucky! I haven't gotten mail since a week ago, last Friday. Today's trip to the mailbox is going to be scary...
Yea, I havent had mail since last Thursday. Today was our first day of mail service and NOTHING came except I know that I have like 5 letters I should have received by Tuesday

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

EijiMiyake wrote: Huh? I don't think anyone is saying that CLS doesn't care about their ranking.

I think that it's hard to say that a school yield protects if they don't systematically yield protect. For example, look at the LSN graphs for Virginia, Penn, and Columbia. For VP, there is a point at which it is much more likely for a candidate to get waitlisted than accepted. For CLS, the vast majority of "qualified" or "over-qualified" candidates (according to GPA/LSAT) are accepted.
Even if they don't broadly yield protect the way other schools do, that doesn't mean they don't yield protect. Even other posters who wouldn't say that CLS yield protects, have suggested that some highly qualified candidates are being held or waitlisted because they don't seem like a proper fit for Columbia. If somebody seems like they would prefer NYU because of public interest, or Berkeley or Chicago because of regional ties, putting that person on hold is an act of yield protection. All yield protection is is increasing the apparent selectivity of the school. Still, I hope I don't get held, blegh. I just want my vomit-crusted envelope already! With money.
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
runnerman wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

Yea, I havent had mail since last Thursday. Today was our first day of mail service and NOTHING came except I know that I have like 5 letters I should have received by Tuesday
I got some random mail today (after a some days of no mail), but still nothing from Columbia.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 pm

My family got no mail today so no vomit-cloaked envelope yet.

Edit: And my parents just lost power. :(
Last edited by CoaltoNewCastle on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm

btw i am held 2/9 at Columbia as well

monkeygirl

New

Post by monkeygirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm

My mad dash to the mailbox yielded---nothing. :oops:

Complete since October.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I would like to see some blatant examples of Columbia YP'ing, too many are just wishy-washy. Some people retake and only report the latest numbers so you'll see people from previous years getting rejected and held from schools with a 175/3.8 when the reality is that they were 168/3.8 during their actual cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”