Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joshikousei

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by joshikousei » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 am

okay, well, i applied last year... so.... maybe things are a little slower this year? NB: i was NOT an ED applicant.

these were the application receipt emails:
Dear Applicant,

We have received your application to the J.D. program at the NYU School of Law and are delighted that you have applied. If we have not already requested your Law School Data Assembly Service (LSDAS) Report, we will be doing so soon. You may monitor this process on the LSAC Web site at http://www.lsac.org.

We will be sending to you an email when your application is complete and ready for review by the Committee on Admissions. Due to our large applicant pool, it may take several weeks for your application to be completed. We appreciate your patience during this process.

We wish you the best of luck and thank you again for your interest in NYU School of Law.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
NYU School of Law

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS DOES NOT RECEIVE INCOMING MESSAGES. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.
Dear joshi:

Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Law School. We are
excited to report to you that we have received all the required components
of your application and that your file is now complete. We will forward
your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order
in which it was completed. Good luck in the admissions process and we hope
to welcome you here as a member of the Class of 2012!

Best wishes,

Office of Admissions

Columbia Law School
Mail Code 4004
435 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027-7297
Telephone: (212) 854-2670
Fax: (212) 854-1109
E-Mail: admissions@law.columbia.edu

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 am

Question mainly for Helm or anyone else who wrote a "Why Columbia?" Columbia is my second choice behind Stanford--think I should save my "Why Columbia?" for a waitlist if it occurs, or send it in now?

And yes, I realize the ridiculousness of asking a bunch of 0Ls application advice. ;)

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 am

I'm throwing my hat into this ring. Don't really think I have a shot at CLS, but what the hell.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:42 am

VoidSix wrote:Question mainly for Helm or anyone else who wrote a "Why Columbia?" Columbia is my second choice behind Stanford--think I should save my "Why Columbia?" for a waitlist if it occurs, or send it in now?
Also V6, you are a fickle, fickle man. Weren't you not even going to apply to CLS until like 2 weeks ago?

ridleyroses

New

Post by ridleyroses » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:05 am

i should be getting out my early decision application in the next few days. pretty excited. don't think i have a particularly great shot but who knows...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:29 am

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Question mainly for Helm or anyone else who wrote a "Why Columbia?" Columbia is my second choice behind Stanford--think I should save my "Why Columbia?" for a waitlist if it occurs, or send it in now?
Also V6, you are a fickle, fickle man. Weren't you not even going to apply to CLS until like 2 weeks ago?
That was NYU.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:29 am

I would save it. If somebody with your numbers gets put on the WL, you'll actually have a shot of getting off of it, unlike me, that's why I just made one big push.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:27 pm

VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:
That was NYU.
IIRC, your LSN once (it's since been updated) had a note that said "PS - Columbia, we were never that close, but you're out too" under your note to NYU letting them know your feelings. My how the tables seem to have turned. (Yes I understand it is sad I remember that, but I have a tendency to keep that kind of useless information in my head.)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:
That was NYU.
IIRC, your LSN once (it's since been updated) had a note that said "PS - Columbia, we were never that close, but you're out too" under your note to NYU letting them know your feelings. My how the tables seem to have turned. (Yes I understand it is sad I remember that, but I have a tendency to keep that kind of useless information in my head.)

You're good. That was more like September, but yeah. Since then, a few important things have changed in my life to make NYC a possibility again. In addition, I have done more research on Columbia professors, discovered their LRAP was significantly better than I thought, their class size was smaller than Harvard's--which was a good thing in my opinion--and the location was affordable. The most important thing (and what I've always known) is that the headquarters (and thus majority of attorney jobs) at the ACLU and NAACP are in NYC, which would make it pretty silly for me not to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 pm

VoidSix wrote:You're good. That was more like September, but yeah. Since then, a few important things have changed in my life to make NYC a possibility again. In addition, I have done more research on Columbia professors, discovered their LRAP was significantly better than I thought, their class size was smaller than Harvard's--which was a good thing in my opinion--and the location was affordable. The most important thing (and what I've always known) is that the headquarters (and thus majority of attorney jobs) at the ACLU and NAACP are in NYC, which would make it pretty silly for me not to apply.
Haha well I was clearly just giving you a hard time, but I wish you nothing but the best. You know how it is.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:48 pm

I just thought it was necessary that I explain my change of heart.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:I just thought it was necessary that I explain my change of heart.
Haha appreciated. But not necessary. Now, let's move on. Apologies to the thread for this useless back-and-forth that I, admittedly, started.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:33 pm

can someone explain the difference between butler and hamilton? also, are those usually offered immediately upon acceptance, or later on toward the end of the cycle?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:37 pm

GargamelITT wrote:can someone explain the difference between butler and hamilton? also, are those usually offered immediately upon acceptance, or later on toward the end of the cycle?
I believe Butler is half-tuition (there is an LSN profile that has the Butler and is marked at $73,000) and the Hamilton is full-tuition. I could be wrong, and I don't have an answer for your second question. Apologies.

Edit: Yeah. The Butler is $73,000 / 3 years, and the Hamilton is $146,000 / 3 years according to LSN.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 pm

wow, i had no idea full tuition scholarships to CLS even existed. i'd imagine these are only the 3.9/178 type folks getting those?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Yeah. A bunch of 180 / 3.6-3.8 types and 178-179 3.7-3.9 types. Butlers are a little more lenient, but still pretty hard to get.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Hamiltons last year were generally 176-180, 3.6+. However, all of the 176 recipients had 3.85+. Makes me wish I scored 1 point better on the LSAT...

EDIT: Butlers were the next tier, usually 174-177, 3.4+, but the lower LSAT recips all had high GPA's, again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 pm

GeePee wrote:Hamiltons last year were generally 176-180, 3.6+. However, all of the 176 recipients had 3.85+. Makes me wish I scored 1 point better on the LSAT...

EDIT: Butlers were the next tier, usually 174-177, 3.4+, but the lower LSAT recips all had high GPA's, again.
i wish id scored one point better, then id be in the running for a butler... but then i'd be thinking how, with just one *more* point, i'd be in the running for harvard, and then, with yet one *more* point i'd be eligible for a hamilton... and so the endless cycle of "what ifs" continues... :oops:

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:55 pm

irie wrote:
GeePee wrote:Hamiltons last year were generally 176-180, 3.6+. However, all of the 176 recipients had 3.85+. Makes me wish I scored 1 point better on the LSAT...

i wish id scored one point better, then id be in the running for a butler... but then i'd be thinking how, with just one *more* point, i'd be in the running for harvard, and then, with yet one *more* point i'd be eligible for a hamilton... and so the endless cycle of "what ifs" continues... :oops:
+1

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:55 pm

irie wrote:

"I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it."

driveshaft

New

Post by driveshaft » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:49 pm

I haven't been able to find anything on the CLS website about Butlers and Hamiltons. Is that something I need to apply for separately or is everyone who applies just automatically considered? TIA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 pm

irie wrote:

That wasn't really the point of my statement, just a rhetorical remark added onto the LSN research...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm

driveshaft wrote:I haven't been able to find anything on the CLS website about Butlers and Hamiltons. Is that something I need to apply for separately or is everyone who applies just automatically considered? TIA.
You don't apply. Everyone who is accepted is considered for them.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:19 pm

GeePee is mostly right, except that most Butlers are actually also in the 176-180 range and 3.6+ range. A lot of them were even like 179 / 4.0 or 177 / 4.0 types. I would imagine the Hamilton comes with some serious softs as well.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:19 pm

VoidSix wrote:GeePee is mostly right, except that most Butlers are actually also in the 176-180 range and 3.6+ range. A lot of them were even like 179 / 4.0 or 177 / 4.0 types. I would imagine the Hamilton comes with some serious softs as well.
is it tougher to get a hamilton than get into yale?

not that i'm expecting to be even in the ballpark, i'm just curious

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”