U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nesnejnes06
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby nesnejnes06 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:34 pm

UR 2/12 and then 2/15. should i assume that means something, or that is means something? or should i assume that it might mean something or it might mean nothing and that it's really anyone's guess?

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm

iamtaw wrote:are they on spring break right now?
i emailed them asking if i could send in additional material and i got a reply on friday saying that i could send in stuff until i go under review.
i emailed the stuff over lunch on monday and then i went under review that evening...
tried calling but i can't get a hold of anyone to make sure its been added to my file

WHY?!??!


They are on Spring Break at the moment, so I don't know who's around.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm

iamtaw wrote:are they on spring break right now?
i emailed them asking if i could send in additional material and i got a reply on friday saying that i could send in stuff until i go under review.
i emailed the stuff over lunch on monday and then i went under review that evening...
tried calling but i can't get a hold of anyone to make sure its been added to my file

WHY?!??!


They are on Spring Break for the next two weeks.

User avatar
iamtaw
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby iamtaw » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:39 pm

gah, that sucks

AdmitMePls
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby AdmitMePls » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:39 pm

beef wellington wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
beef wellington wrote:So Chicago's supposedly unveiling a new PI initiative at their ASW. Does anyone have any more details on this or know where I might find out more? Also, when's the ASW?


Most likely, according first-hand to folks in the know: expanded LRAP, director of PI, 3-4 more clinics offered, move from forgivable loans to outright grants for those doing PI over the summer, and more funding for folks looking to head to regional PI fairs during 2L/3L.

Those seem to be the big pieces of the PI overhaul that Dean Schill is hoping to announce at ASW. I'm personally pretty excited to hear the details of each!

Thanks Kretzy!



Does anyone know at what point during ASW they will be discussing this? I plan to mostly attend Northwestern's ASW that weekend (since they already have a great focus on PI), but would like to hear about this.

Thanks!

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 pm

AdmitMePls wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
beef wellington wrote:So Chicago's supposedly unveiling a new PI initiative at their ASW. Does anyone have any more details on this or know where I might find out more? Also, when's the ASW?


Most likely, according first-hand to folks in the know: expanded LRAP, director of PI, 3-4 more clinics offered, move from forgivable loans to outright grants for those doing PI over the summer, and more funding for folks looking to head to regional PI fairs during 2L/3L.

Those seem to be the big pieces of the PI overhaul that Dean Schill is hoping to announce at ASW. I'm personally pretty excited to hear the details of each!

Thanks Kretzy!



Does anyone know at what point during ASW they will be discussing this? I plan to mostly attend Northwestern's ASW that weekend (since they already have a great focus on PI), but would like to hear about this.

Thanks!


No idea, sorry! I did get confirmation that it won't preclude the faculty v. student trivia contest, which I'm very much looking forward to :)

pelmen74
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby pelmen74 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:36 pm

jgolimow wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
eagles111 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:finally UR. applied 12/28.


whoa. me too. applied same day. i was about to give up hope on anything ever moving. now just another 1-2 months till a decision!


seems like they have a pretty quick turnaround once you get to UR.



+1, same exact dates as both of you. But, you say quick turnaround? how quick is quick?

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm

+1, same exact dates as both of you. But, you say quick turnaround? how quick is quick?


some of the admits from last week heard the news 4-5 days after first UR (the UR dates often change on status checker). but that may be somewhat uncommon.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 pm

I also went UR 3/15 after submitting around 1/1. Hoping for good news.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:17 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 am

Richard Rorty wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:Any other 3/4 UCRs out there that weren't a part of last week's WL/dingfest?



+1, I made a post like this a few pages ago and two other ppl +1'ed. I wonder what is in store for us.



Well, I'll go to sleep to dreams of an acceptance and a full-tuition scholarship. And then I'll wake up to see UR 3/4 again.

shephrdpie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby shephrdpie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Application Received 12/16, Completed 1/26, UR 3/9 . So I haven't been under review since the 4th, but overall I have been waiting for quite some time to hear from these folks.

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby MF248 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:09 am

im_blue wrote:
los blancos wrote:What do you guys think is a good 'fit' for Chicago?

I think I'm going to hold off on the de facto ED LOCI until they waitlist me.

It's hard to say, since Chicago took several 3.8+/168-169's but waitlisted a bunch of 3.6/172's. But they do have a reputation for emphasizing undergrad prestige.


Before I got sucked into the black hole that is TLS I remember hearing that UChicago actually likes Big10 schools. Any truth to this?

prefontaine
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby prefontaine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 am

MF248 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
los blancos wrote:What do you guys think is a good 'fit' for Chicago?

I think I'm going to hold off on the de facto ED LOCI until they waitlist me.

It's hard to say, since Chicago took several 3.8+/168-169's but waitlisted a bunch of 3.6/172's. But they do have a reputation for emphasizing undergrad prestige.


Before I got sucked into the black hole that is TLS I remember hearing that UChicago actually likes Big10 schools. Any truth to this?


there are a fair amount of big 10 schools in the glass menagerie booklet they sent out (Michigan/ Illinois & Wisconsin were the most common schools if I remember right). The Perry's also have big 10 alum among their family (Illinois and Wisconsin).

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 am

MF248 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
los blancos wrote:What do you guys think is a good 'fit' for Chicago?

I think I'm going to hold off on the de facto ED LOCI until they waitlist me.

It's hard to say, since Chicago took several 3.8+/168-169's but waitlisted a bunch of 3.6/172's. But they do have a reputation for emphasizing undergrad prestige.


Before I got sucked into the black hole that is TLS I remember hearing that UChicago actually likes Big10 schools. Any truth to this?

hopehopehope

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby hmlee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

prefontaine wrote:
MF248 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
los blancos wrote:What do you guys think is a good 'fit' for Chicago?

I think I'm going to hold off on the de facto ED LOCI until they waitlist me.

It's hard to say, since Chicago took several 3.8+/168-169's but waitlisted a bunch of 3.6/172's. But they do have a reputation for emphasizing undergrad prestige.


Before I got sucked into the black hole that is TLS I remember hearing that UChicago actually likes Big10 schools. Any truth to this?


there are a fair amount of big 10 schools in the glass menagerie booklet they sent out (Michigan/ Illinois & Wisconsin were the most common schools if I remember right). The Perry's also have big 10 alum among their family (Illinois and Wisconsin).


Two points come to mind:

1. The U of C was a founding member of the Big 10 until they dropped D-I athletics in the mid 1940s. (Though I doubt this has much to do with their admissions philosophy)

2. Chicago, as a city, has very large populations of Big 10 alumni. All of the schools in the Big 10, except, maybe PSU, tend to send their graduates to Chicago, for work or grad school, because it is the closest major metropolitan area. Thus, while law students at the U of C come from all over the country, it's not improbable to think that a significant portion would be from the Big 10 schools.

Edit: Point 3. While the schools in the Big 10 don't (except for Northwestern) carry the type of undergrad prestige one mostly associates with the Ivies, they are still very good schools... Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa / Illinois... all solid undergrads.

User avatar
mb88
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby mb88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:16 pm

UR for the first time on 3/9. I submitted back in early December, but had them hold my file while I submitted fall grades (for the fear of them taking me under review before the transcript arrived and seeing my old GPA). If I had known Chicago would take THIS long to put me under review, I wouldn't have had my file held. :? It probably ruined whatever small chance I had at acceptance.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 pm

I just checked LSN and was astonished at the number of 168s that got accepted. Am I to assume they all had stellar softs and/or benefited from applying really early?

Well maybe not astonished. But surprised.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby GermX » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 pm

^ That bodes well for me, I'm a 169. I've got great softs too.

Anyways, Application finally Under Review as of 3/17/10 =D.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm

GermX wrote:^ That bodes well for me, I'm a 169. I've got great softs too.

Anyways, Application finally Under Review as of 3/17/10 =D.


Well they were still mostly waitlists and rejections IIRC. But who knows. Some of us (168 here) may slip through the cracks or something. Or... not slip through the cracks? You know what I mean.

I'm still complete as of 2/18.

User avatar
AdmiralNelson
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby AdmiralNelson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 pm

For those of you with recently updated UR dates -

I'm in the same boat (3.12.10). I just did my daily round of status checks and noticed a field for "class deposit" down in the "Fees" box. Seemed unusual to me.

None of my other school status checkers display this field. I have no memory of whether or not it was there before tonight...

Can anyone perhaps divine an explanation?

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby luckyjd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:30 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote:For those of you with recently updated UR dates -

I'm in the same boat (3.12.10). I just did my daily round of status checks and noticed a field for "class deposit" down in the "Fees" box. Seemed unusual to me.

None of my other school status checkers display this field. I have no memory of whether or not it was there before tonight...

Can anyone perhaps divine an explanation?


Mine has it too, and my chances of getting in according to LSP is <5% ... so I wouldn't count on it meaning anything.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 pm

I've had the deposit box since before I went Complete. It means nothing.

Also, still Complete 2/16, no UR yet :|

orphanarium
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby orphanarium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 pm

...
Last edited by orphanarium on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AdmiralNelson
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby AdmiralNelson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Well meh. I thought I was about to lose my acceptance letter virginity.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests