U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unitas

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:22 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:
GeePee wrote:Or maybe you're getting in with a nice scholarship this week? Either way, this information will be nice to help me decide whether to go through with it or not.

well if I get in with a scholarship, I'll be sure to let you know/how much it is. but they are cutting it close to make an April 8th ASW feasible so I'd really, really, really really like to hear soon.

Are you an ECON major?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Are these "merit scholarship essay" things only sent to people who have not been accepted yet?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Kakarot wrote:Are you an ECON major?

weird question or joke about chicago RIGOR?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Are these "merit scholarship essay" things only sent to people who have not been accepted yet?

yeah

LDC

Postby LDC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 am

Hey y'all - does anyone know how long it generally takes to get the acceptance packet in the mail? (I was admitted last Friday, and am so excited!)

Thanks!! :)

uchi2012loveit

Postby uchi2012loveit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 am

Love the UChi lovefest that is this thread.

LOVE IT.

Just wanted to say, um, it's FUCKING 4 AM IN EARLY FUCKING MARCH AND I AM STUDYING FOR FUCKING FINALS.

And I'm a SLACKER by UChi standards. Kids have been gunnin' their asses off pre-Valentine's day for this shit.

Finals 3 times a year. That's at least 3 additional finals periods and probably 9-12 or so more actual finals over your law school career. Given how awful each and every one of these damn finals is, you probably should think about that before going to U Chicago.

It should be the UChi slogan: FOR THOSE WHO DON'T THINK LAW SCHOOL HAS ENOUGH FINALS!

So all I'm saying is: y'all better love some muthafuckin' finals, yo. And don't kid yourselves with platitudes about rigor and how smart you are and how it won't bother you. Even if you're not a gunner, finals means all-out panic for at least a week if not more. Do you want to do that to your nervous and cardiovascular systems 3 times a year when you can go elsewhere and suffer this misery only twice annually?

Now, I love the school most days and have learned a lot. But right now, man, I'm thinking I might've made the wrong decision.

Rigor is the wrong word. A 16" Finals Dildo Up Your Ass 3 Times A Year is more like it.

Not kidding.

I'm psyched U of C is getting serious TLS love because I think the faculty are brilliant and I love the place. So when you think of U of C, think of really brilliant professors and really helpful administrators and really smart and ambitious and (at least not outwardly competitive) classmates and think of all of said classmates and you bending over and having really nice professors put A 16" Finals Dildo Up Your Ass 3 Times A Year.

If this is your idea of fun, IT AIN'T DEAD!

xoxo,

U of C 1L

P.S. I realize this is vulgar, but I think it's a question that should be considered by all those who are considering this school. I think it's an amazing place. I just do not like a 16" Finals Dildo Up My Ass 3 x annually and would love my school much more were I not subjected to this type of invasion so frequently. I think UChi knows that their quarter system is stupid, hurts people w/r/t jobs given that our summer break does not correspond with that of any other school ... and yet it will NEVER change due to the love of tradition here. Complain about anything to the admins and it will be the same way. Now, of course, most law schools operate this way and could give a shit about your opinions or ideas, but U Chi seems even less receptive than other schools, in my limited experience.

My point in bringing this up is that I personally discounted the impact 3x/yr finals would have on my life in law school. I have a wonderful significant other who has -- so far! -- been really understanding about finals ... cooking me dinner, letting me be a slob, cleaning up for me, being understanding when I can't do anything other than study ... but if this person were not SUPER FUCKING AWESOME and way more understanding than any other human I've dated, I would probably get DUMPED. I'm a lucky one. I know at least 3 classmates who are on the verge of a serious mental breakdown of one type or other and will likely drop out.

In other words, don't buy the shiny happy it's really not all that bad crap the admissions office will peddle. They're selling you on a very, very expensive product. If you're down for this particular game, welcome -- you will learn a lot. But don't pretend you haven't been warned.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 am

uchi2012loveit wrote:Love the UChi lovefest that is this thread.

LOVE IT.

Just wanted to say, um, it's FUCKING 4 AM IN EARLY FUCKING MARCH AND I AM STUDYING FOR FUCKING FINALS.

And I'm a SLACKER by UChi standards. Kids have been gunnin' their asses off pre-Valentine's day for this shit.

Finals 3 times a year. That's at least 3 additional finals periods and probably 9-12 or so more actual finals over your law school career. Given how awful each and every one of these damn finals is, you probably should think about that before going to U Chicago.

It should be the UChi slogan: FOR THOSE WHO DON'T THINK LAW SCHOOL HAS ENOUGH FINALS!

So all I'm saying is: y'all better love some muthafuckin' finals, yo. And don't kid yourselves with platitudes about rigor and how smart you are and how it won't bother you. Even if you're not a gunner, finals means all-out panic for at least a week if not more. Do you want to do that to your nervous and cardiovascular systems 3 times a year when you can go elsewhere and suffer this misery only twice annually?

Now, I love the school most days and have learned a lot. But right now, man, I'm thinking I might've made the wrong decision.

Rigor is the wrong word. A 16" Finals Dildo Up Your Ass 3 Times A Year is more like it.

Not kidding.

I'm psyched U of C is getting serious TLS love because I think the faculty are brilliant and I love the place. So when you think of U of C, think of really brilliant professors and really helpful administrators and really smart and ambitious and (at least not outwardly competitive) classmates and think of all of said classmates and you bending over and having really nice professors put A 16" Finals Dildo Up Your Ass 3 Times A Year.

If this is your idea of fun, IT AIN'T DEAD!

xoxo,

U of C 1L

P.S. I realize this is vulgar, but I think it's a question that should be considered by all those who are considering this school. I think it's an amazing place. I just do not like a 16" Finals Dildo Up My Ass 3 x annually and would love my school much more were I not subjected to this type of invasion so frequently. I think UChi knows that their quarter system is stupid, hurts people w/r/t jobs given that our summer break does not correspond with that of any other school ... and yet it will NEVER change due to the love of tradition here. Complain about anything to the admins and it will be the same way. Now, of course, most law schools operate this way and could give a shit about your opinions or ideas, but U Chi seems even less receptive than other schools, in my limited experience.

My point in bringing this up is that I personally discounted the impact 3x/yr finals would have on my life in law school. I have a wonderful significant other who has -- so far! -- been really understanding about finals ... cooking me dinner, letting me be a slob, cleaning up for me, being understanding when I can't do anything other than study ... but if this person were not SUPER FUCKING AWESOME and way more understanding than any other human I've dated, I would probably get DUMPED. I'm a lucky one. I know at least 3 classmates who are on the verge of a serious mental breakdown of one type or other and will likely drop out.

In other words, don't buy the shiny happy it's really not all that bad crap the admissions office will peddle. They're selling you on a very, very expensive product. If you're down for this particular game, welcome -- you will learn a lot. But don't pretend you haven't been warned.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 am

uchi2012loveit wrote:Just wanted to say, um, it's FUCKING 4 AM IN EARLY FUCKING MARCH AND I AM STUDYING FOR FUCKING FINALS.

Kids have been gunnin' their asses off pre-Valentine's day for this shit.

So when you think of U of C, think of really brilliant professors and really helpful administrators and really smart and ambitious and (at least not outwardly competitive) classmates and think of all of said classmates and you bending over and having really nice professors put A 16" Finals Dildo Up Your Ass 3 Times A Year.

Chicago sounds downright awesome.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

You, sir, have TCR.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 am

uchi2012loveit wrote:Chicago is a dominatrix, and I am her submissive

Shortened the quote for you, but awesome first post.

BTW I had to use wikipedia to get that reference, probably on a list now for my school...

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 am

AngryAvocado wrote:Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

HA!

in other news... no Monday WL/Reject emails to report, eh? I guess that earlier pattern does not apply to March unless none of the recipients are on TLS or LSN.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 pm

uchi2012loveit wrote:P.S. I realize this is vulgar, but I think it's a question that should be considered by all those who are considering this school. I think it's an amazing place. I just do not like a 16" Finals Dildo Up My Ass 3 x annually and would love my school much more were I not subjected to this type of invasion so frequently. I think UChi knows that their quarter system is stupid, hurts people w/r/t jobs given that our summer break does not correspond with that of any other school ... and yet it will NEVER change due to the love of tradition here. Complain about anything to the admins and it will be the same way. Now, of course, most law schools operate this way and could give a shit about your opinions or ideas, but U Chi seems even less receptive than other schools, in my limited experience.

I Enjoyed your candid post. It will make my imminent WL/rejection much easier to take.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm

doinmybest wrote:
uchi2012loveit wrote:P.S. I realize this is vulgar, but I think it's a question that should be considered by all those who are considering this school. I think it's an amazing place. I just do not like a 16" Finals Dildo Up My Ass 3 x annually and would love my school much more were I not subjected to this type of invasion so frequently. I think UChi knows that their quarter system is stupid, hurts people w/r/t jobs given that our summer break does not correspond with that of any other school ... and yet it will NEVER change due to the love of tradition here. Complain about anything to the admins and it will be the same way. Now, of course, most law schools operate this way and could give a shit about your opinions or ideas, but U Chi seems even less receptive than other schools, in my limited experience.

I Enjoyed your candid post. It will make my imminent WL/rejection much easier to take.

At least easier to take than that giant dildo he's describing...

dms87

Postby dms87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:48 pm

# More decisions in the next few days. We will be making some calls and issuing decisions over email. Check your email and status checker. 14 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/uchicagolawapps

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manusevil

Postby manusevil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Dude the finals really aren't that bad. First quarter is slack as hell for one thing. Second thing is that there are diminishing returns to studying since before Valentines Day. Kind of silly to compare yourself to inefficient folks. Most people spend 80% of their time "studying" either gchatting or watching TV. I'd rather go out 4 nights a week and compress all my studying into 10 days at crunchtime. Third thing is that the best way to keep your girlfriend and sanity is lots and lots of naked time. It's worked for me, at least.

Last thing that helps is planning an awesome TWO WEEK spring break and daydreaming about it constantly. SXSW and BBQ baby. Anyways get a beer and chill. And try not to scare the 0Ls. Or at least try to try.

Signed, guy saving Admission Dept.'s ass.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

manusevil wrote:Dude the finals really aren't that bad. First quarter is slack as hell for one thing. Second thing is that there are diminishing returns to studying since before Valentines Day. Kind of silly to compare yourself to inefficient folks. Most people spend 80% of their time "studying" either gchatting or watching TV. I'd rather go out 4 nights a week and compress all my studying into 10 days at crunchtime. Third thing is that the best way to keep your girlfriend and sanity is lots and lots of naked time. It's worked for me, at least.

Last thing that helps is planning an awesome TWO WEEK spring break and daydreaming about it constantly. SXSW and BBQ baby. Anyways get a beer and chill. And try not to scare the 0Ls. Or at least try to try.

Signed, guy saving Admission Dept.'s ass.

Though, it should be noted, those of us at Northwestern also get a two week break *and* we're on the semester system. ;)

Not that I'm hating on the U of C or anything. Being an alum, that would just be you know, wrong. What the above poster said about U of C not likely to change things soon IS very true though. And that applies to the law school just as much as it did the undergrad. People are very protective of their institutions and ways of life in Hyde Park. Oddly enough, it's almost as though some sort of Stockholm syndrome develops among the students after being there for a while. I mean, the howls we made about the College switching to the Common App a few years back were kind of well... yeah.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:25 am

bump.

maybe some news today?

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:53 am

Received 12/18 -> Complete 1/26 -> Under Review 3/9

is it possible that a decision could be made in just a few days?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 pm

runnerman wrote:Received 12/18 -> Complete 1/26 -> Under Review 3/9

Some people on this board received several UR date changes. I was UR 2/15 and now 3/4.

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Ahhhh so they've gotten to late January completes? I have it as received 12/16, complete 1/27, I'm still at that "complete" status but I guess its encouraging that someone in late January is under review, and you went complete just one day before me. Now I just have to hope they even have some spots left by the time I'm under review

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Called the admissions office and was told that because even June lsat scores are accepted, those of us who applied in December can technically be given a decision in July since the school reserves the right to hold you in committee for as long as admissions decisions are made. Might be the most depressing news I've heard all day, because at the rate they're going, I can see that 6-7 months wait happening. Hurray..

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm

strokes788 wrote:Called the admissions office and was told that because even June lsat scores are accepted, those of us who applied in December can technically be given a decision in July since the school reserves the right to hold you in committee for as long as admissions decisions are made. Might be the most depressing news I've heard all day, because at the rate they're going, I can see that 6-7 months wait happening. Hurray..

Haha this is actually good news for me since I'm probably going to take the June LSAT.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:59 pm

strokes788 wrote:Called the admissions office and was told that because even June lsat scores are accepted, those of us who applied in December can technically be given a decision in July since the school reserves the right to hold you in committee for as long as admissions decisions are made. Might be the most depressing news I've heard all day, because at the rate they're going, I can see that 6-7 months wait happening. Hurray..

That's crazy - I've never heard of a school taking June scores before.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm

It's possible--I got my decision within a week of going UR for the first time. However, my completion and UR dates were spaced much further apart than yours.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”