U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unitas

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Unitas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:25 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Cherith Cutestory wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Has anyone with a complete date later than 12/11 (latest complete --> UR date reported so far itt) gone UR yet?

Just went UR yesterday (2/19) with a complete date of 12/15.

interesting, I have an earlier complete date (but close to yours) and still haven't gone UR. I guess they don't do them in strictly chronological order then?

They may have a few complete piles they do at a time and then put together and Cherith's may have just gotten tossed on top of yours.

This is my random unsubstantiated theory of the day.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Kakarot wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Cherith Cutestory wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Has anyone with a complete date later than 12/11 (latest complete --> UR date reported so far itt) gone UR yet?

Just went UR yesterday (2/19) with a complete date of 12/15.

interesting, I have an earlier complete date (but close to yours) and still haven't gone UR. I guess they don't do them in strictly chronological order then?

They may have a few complete piles they do at a time and then put together and Cherith's may have just gotten tossed on top of yours.

This is my random unsubstantiated theory of the day.

yeah, I was thinking maybe different people have different piles and whoever is reviewing mine is working thru their pile a little slower than whoever is reviewing Cherith's. For the sake of my sanity though, I sincerely hope I go UR this week.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 pm

blue5385 wrote:
yeah, I was thinking maybe different people have different piles and whoever is reviewing mine is working thru their pile a little slower than whoever is reviewing Cherith's. For the sake of my sanity though, I sincerely hope I go UR this week.

I'd be pretty shocked if you didn't. At least you have a nice VCE from CLS to help keep you sane in the mean time! Congrats, btw :wink:

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:38 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I'd be pretty shocked if you didn't. At least you have a nice VCE from CLS to help keep you sane in the mean time! Congrats, btw :wink:

Thanks, Avocado! :)

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:08 am

At this rate, are they going to take those of us who went complete near the end of January and put us under review mid March, when most schools will have responded with full on decisions? I find it ridiculous that applications submitted in early to mid-December might not even be under review until mid to late March, and moving into the territory of releasing decisions during seat deposit deadlines and whatnot

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 am

strokes788 wrote:At this rate, are they going to take those of us who went complete near the end of January and put us under review mid March, when most schools will have responded with full on decisions? I find it ridiculous that applications submitted in early to mid-December might not even be under review until mid to late March, and moving into the territory of releasing decisions during seat deposit deadlines and whatnot

U of C was my first choice law school for a long time, but at the rate they are reviewing apps & releasing decisions, I will already have visited CLS & NYU and maybe fallen in love with one of those schools by the time I get my decision from Chicago. By moving so slowly, they're giving peer schools an edge in the recruiting process and might even turn off some admits who get their Chicago decision really late in the game.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:44 am

blue5385 wrote:
strokes788 wrote:At this rate, are they going to take those of us who went complete near the end of January and put us under review mid March, when most schools will have responded with full on decisions? I find it ridiculous that applications submitted in early to mid-December might not even be under review until mid to late March, and moving into the territory of releasing decisions during seat deposit deadlines and whatnot

U of C was my first choice law school for a long time, but at the rate they are reviewing apps & releasing decisions, I will already have visited CLS & NYU and maybe fallen in love with one of those schools by the time I get my decision from Chicago. By moving so slowly, they're giving peer schools an edge in the recruiting process and might even turn off some admits who get their Chicago decision really late in the game.

I've been saying the same thing. I think Chicago is shooting themselves in the foot with this strategy. Part of the problem seems to be that they didn't even start reading applications until some time in December, IIRC, which meant they weren't making decisions on the earliest applicants until well into December. If they had released decisions for September applicants in early November, they'd be in fine shape, but the combination of starting late and going in strict chronological order is going to cause them trouble.

They're probably sitting back and thinking, "We're Chicago. We don't give a damn what you think."

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Exactly. They really are, I had UChicago as one of my top choices but by the time they'd get around to making a decision, if they were to accept me, I'll have visited a few of my other top choices, some that weren't even as high on my list as Chicago, and may end up choosing them because I'll have ended up loving them and not wanting to wait for at this rate, a May decision from Chicago. Even if they just started reading apps in December, I don't understand how they can reasonably think making applicants go complete six weeks after submitting their app and then under review nearly two months later is going to make an applicant want to go there. I mean its their loss, if they take a hit in the rankings this year because qualified applicants chose other schools, they only have themselves to blame

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:33 pm

This slow-admission-anger strikes me as impatient and immature. If you are going to fall in love with the first law school that accepts you or the first one you visit solely on the basis of timeliness then you have a weak emotional constitution; if you are unable to wait until the end of the cycle to weigh your options and make a fully informed/reasoned decision then I doubt Chicago would care too much about missing out on you. Especially since most candidates will, setting aside scholarships, go to the highest ranked school possible. If you get into HYS and Chicago, you're going to HYS, doesn't matter when Chicago admits you. If you get into MVP and Chicago, you''ll probably go to Chicago, regardless of when they admit you. If you get into both CC or all of CCN and are set on deciding in February and are fundamentally offended by Chicago's thorough admissions methodology then by all means, run off with NYU and call it a day; no one cares.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm

agentzer0 wrote:This slow-admission-anger strikes me as impatient and immature. If you are going to fall in love with the first law school that accepts you or the first one you visit solely on the basis of timeliness then you have a weak emotional constitution; if you are unable to wait until the end of the cycle to weigh your options and make a fully informed/reasoned decision then I doubt Chicago would care too much about missing out on you. Especially since most candidates will, setting aside scholarships, go to the highest ranked school possible. If you get into HYS and Chicago, you're going to HYS, doesn't matter when Chicago admits you. If you get into MVP and Chicago, you''ll probably go to Chicago, regardless of when they admit you. If you get into both CC or all of CCN and are set on deciding in February and are fundamentally offended by Chicago's thorough admissions methodology then by all means, run off with NYU and call it a day; no one cares.

+1.

Personal story: I visited Duke and UVA in December, and absolutely fell in love with UVA. I loved everything about it, and it was obvious the students loved it there as well. Less than 72 hours later, I got a call from Stanford. Loving UVA didn't change my excitement, nor make me less likely to attend SLS (though it did make me not withdraw from UVA to wait and see about money).

Moral: Visit tons of schools, but don't rule somewhere out (particularly if it's a higher rank or a top choice coming into the cycle) just because you "fell in love" with a different place.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 pm

agentzer0 wrote:This slow-admission-anger strikes me as impatient and immature. If you are going to fall in love with the first law school that accepts you or the first one you visit solely on the basis of timeliness then you have a weak emotional constitution; if you are unable to wait until the end of the cycle to weigh your options and make a fully informed/reasoned decision then I doubt Chicago would care too much about missing out on you. Especially since most candidates will, setting aside scholarships, go to the highest ranked school possible. If you get into HYS and Chicago, you're going to HYS, doesn't matter when Chicago admits you. If you get into MVP and Chicago, you''ll probably go to Chicago, regardless of when they admit you. If you get into both CC or all of CCN and are set on deciding in February and are fundamentally offended by Chicago's thorough admissions methodology then by all means, run off with NYU and call it a day; no one cares.

But this is all rendered somewhat moot if they really do go into late April/May, when people have already put down seat deposits.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Kretzy wrote:

+1.

Personal story: I visited Duke and UVA in December, and absolutely fell in love with UVA. I loved everything about it, and it was obvious the students loved it there as well. Less than 72 hours later, I got a call from Stanford. Loving UVA didn't change my excitement, nor make me less likely to attend SLS (though it did make me not withdraw from UVA to wait and see about money).

Moral: Visit tons of schools, but don't rule somewhere out (particularly if it's a higher rank or a top choice coming into the cycle) just because you "fell in love" with a different place.

Chicago isn't Stanford, and UVA isn't Columbia. And 72 hours is not 2 months. The quick turnaround at other schools not only makes them appear more competent, it makes them seem like they care more about us as applicants. It also gives them extra time to woo us, bring us in for admitted students events, process financial aid and scholarship documents, etc... You can't deny that these things will make a difference for many applicants, even if you consider it "impatient and immature."

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

nattybro wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

+1.

Chicago isn't Stanford, and UVA isn't Columbia. And 72 hours is not 2 months. The quick turnaround at other schools not only makes them appear more competent, it makes them seem like they care more about us as applicants. It also gives them extra time to woo us, bring us in for admitted students events, process financial aid and scholarship documents, etc... You can't deny that these things will make a difference for many applicants, even if you consider it "impatient and immature."

Believe me, Chicago is giving plenty of personalized attention to its admits and doing a great job of wooing. They're just making sure they are wooing people they actually want.

As far as "these things making a difference for many applicants," I'm sure you're right... but who cares about those applicants? If they don't have enough patience to wait out the admissions cycle then they don't have to.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 pm

No one said they would fall in love with the first school that accepted them or that they visited solely on the basis of timeliness. I agree that would be stupid. The point I am trying to make is that by the time Chicago releases its decisions, many of its admits will have already gotten decisions back from comparable schools and may have become invested in one or more of those schools (based on more concrete factors than response time). This could put Chicago at a disadvantage when competing with schools like Columbia or NYU, since the latter schools have been releasing their decisions and providing admits with resources in an earlier time frame.

Also, no one said above that they are set on deciding in February -- the point is, people want their decisions in enough time to be able to carefully weigh all the options before making a commitment. If Chicago releases decisions at the end of April and seat deposits are due at the beginning of May, that doesn't give admits enough time to make an informed decision and could certainly turn admitted students off of the school.
Last edited by blue5385 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 pm

nattybro wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

+1.

Honestly, I think you missed my point. It's not about the caliber of each school.

Also important: Chicago is one of the few schools (Stanford is another, Columbia as well), that goes in chronological order of its applicants going complete. I was in the first batch of RD admits at each school: Chicago's call came 12.29, Columbia's package arrived 1.22. I went complete at both the same day.

Both schools do an excellent job of wooing the students they've admitted.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Chicago is the only school that has corresponded with me aside from Bill Hoye from Duke, who actually was very nice. Chicago's faculty has impressed me more than I can express. I wish that I could say the same for the schools I had originally "fell in love with" like Boalt, but I can't.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 pm

otoh it is frustrating, to be complete for months and months and not have a decision while other schools are already making $ offers. it's hard to factor chicago into those calculations, because not only do I not know if they will offer comparable financial aid, but I don't even know if I will be accepted. it would be nice to have more than a week or two in April to weigh my options.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:otoh it is frustrating, to be complete for months and months and not have a decision while other schools are already making $ offers. it's hard to factor chicago into those calculations, because not only do I not know if they will offer comparable financial aid, but I don't even know if I will be accepted. it would be nice to have more than a week or two in April to weigh my options.

Forwarded to Harvard, Stanford, Yale.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:03 pm

My point wasn't personal. Even before I was aware of Chicago's relatively slow admissions process, I preferred NYU for a variety of unrelated reasons. However, you're totally discounting human psychology. Everyone develops irrational emotional connections that the law schools, if they want to matriculate the best accepted applicants, have to play towards. This is why a beautiful viewbook is better than an ugly one. They may convey the same information, but the beautiful viewbook will make the school seem more appealing.

Honestly, this is just advice to Chicago. I really don't care that they're slow (although I'm sure other people commenting do). The relaxed nature of their admissions process is somewhat comforting, as it means I have no reason to be nervous. But they are undoubtedly guaranteeing that some people who would otherwise have chosen Chicago will instead be going to Columbia or NYU--or Michigan or Virginia or Penn or Berkeley with a small scholarship. Obviously, it's not going to (or shouldn't) make the difference between someone attending, say, UIUC or Chicago, but on the other hand, the person with that choice is likely someone who got into Chicago by the skin of their teeth. The strongest applicants who Chicago most wants to retain are the ones most likely to have emotionally committed somewhere competitive with Chicago by the time their decision roles around.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:otoh it is frustrating, to be complete for months and months and not have a decision while other schools are already making $ offers. it's hard to factor chicago into those calculations, because not only do I not know if they will offer comparable financial aid, but I don't even know if I will be accepted. it would be nice to have more than a week or two in April to weigh my options.

Honestly, this is a fair complaint, but do we really think Chicago will extend many offers after its ASW? I'd imagine almost every admit will be admitted with time to book a flight to Chicago for April 8-10; if not, that would be pretty shitty on UofC's part.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Kronk wrote:Forwarded to Harvard, Stanford, Yale.

shrug

I think YHS are, "drop everything and go" schools, and I think chi is a, "weigh your options and $$ carefully" school. one can afford to wait until April (or later) for decisions, and the other maybe can't.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Kretzy wrote:Honestly, this is a fair complaint, but do we really think Chicago will extend many offers after its ASW? I'd imagine almost every admit will be admitted with time to book a flight to Chicago for April 8-10; if not, that would be pretty shitty on UofC's part.

I would be somewhat surprised, given that Feb. is almost over and I need to request time off from work a month in advance, if I heard both an admissions decision and $$ from Chi in time to go to their ASW, and I have a lot of reservations about living in the midwest that a visit could potentially clear up. but I am not so special, and if Chi doesn't want me, so be it. they have thousands of other applicants to choose from.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Kretzy wrote:

Honestly, this is a fair complaint, but do we really think Chicago will extend many offers after its ASW? I'd imagine almost every admit will be admitted with time to book a flight to Chicago for April 8-10; if not, that would be pretty shitty on UofC's part.

At this point, it doesn't look like they will (although they're free to prove me wrong). They've just started reviewing applications that went complete in early-to-mid December, a two month lag. Assuming that they speed up somewhat from their current pace, that means they'll start reviewing applicants like myself, who only just went complete last week, some time in mid-to-late March, meaning a decision right around the beginning of April. And I applied at the very beginning of January; there's almost a whole month's worth of applicants after me.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 pm

BenJ wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

At this point, it doesn't look like they will (although they're free to prove me wrong). They've just started reviewing applications that went complete in early-to-mid December, a two month lag. Assuming that they speed up somewhat from their current pace, that means they'll start reviewing applicants like myself, who only just went complete last week, some time in mid-to-late March, meaning a decision right around the beginning of April. And I applied at the very beginning of January; there's almost a whole month's worth of applicants after me.

I am kicking myself for not having my prof fax my LOR now. He mailed it in mid november and somehow it never showed up at LSAC (probably wrote the wrong address or something). I had him resend in december after I had already submitted all my apps. Went complete at chicago on 1/11. I am praying (to Allmighty Science, of course) that I hear something before april, but it doesnt look like I will.

I have actually considered sending an LOCI once I go UR explaining that my late application was due to an LOR problem and not b/c I made a last minute decision to apply (but this would probably end up being a waste of time). I dont have the numbers for columbia, I dont have the softs for SLS, but I really thought I had a good shot at U of C. I have kinda been obsessed with U of C since reading Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom back in highschool. Please dont let it be too late!!!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 pm

What would also be nice: ponies.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”