U Chicago 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Silver

Re: U Chicago 2010

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I do think it's fair that they review apps in strictly chronological order, but it's really hard not to get impatient/frustrated when one's app is a couple days away from the 10-week deadline by which they said they would issue a decision and it hasn't even gone under review. Other schools don't have nearly as long of a turnaround time despite being equally busy.
Yeah they've gone over the 10-week timeframe but my point is that at least they are letting us know what's going on. The poster I quoted made the point that Chicago is "jerking people around" and isn't being "accountable" which is just false. They are being very proactive about keeping people updated with the application process.

And your point about other schools' turnaround is complete nonsense. I applied to Chicago, CLS, NYU, UVA, Cornell and HLS on the same date (beginning of Nov). I herd from NYU in December; Chicago, the beginning of Feb. The same time I heard from Chicago I was asked to do an interview with Cornell and was told I would hear back about my status a week later (a week AFTER I heard from Chicago at the earliest). I'm still pending at both CLS and UVA (now two weeks after I heard from Chicago). I was held at HLS the same time I was given a decision by Chicago. The only school that has gotten back to me significant earlier than Chicago, then, was NYU.

(Also I applied to Duke but they gave me a PT fee waiver so it's not really applicable.)
How is my point "complete nonsense"? You actually gave an example of a comparable law school that got back to you much faster than U of C.

I don't understand why you are getting worked up over something that doesn't even concern your application anymore considering the fact that you already got your decision from U of C....

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm

blue5385 wrote:How is my point "complete nonsense"? You actually gave an example of a comparable law school that got back to you much faster than U of C.
blue5385 wrote:Other schools don't have nearly as long of a turnaround time despite being equally busy.
Okay you win. One school got back to me faster so it's clear that other schools like Chicago are doing a much better job getting responses back quickly. I take it back. Your point is completely valid.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
blue5385 wrote:How is my point "complete nonsense"? You actually gave an example of a comparable law school that got back to you much faster than U of C.
blue5385 wrote:Other schools don't have nearly as long of a turnaround time despite being equally busy.
Okay you win. One school got back to me faster so it's clear that other schools like Chicago are doing a much better job getting responses back quickly. I take it back. Your point is completely valid.
I missed the part where I argued that all other schools have a faster turnaround time than U of C.

I've already heard back from NYU, Georgetown, UVA, and BU, so there are your schools that get back to applicants faster than U of C.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I do think it's fair that they review apps in strictly chronological order, but it's really hard not to get impatient/frustrated when one's app is a couple days away from the 10-week deadline by which they said they would issue a decision and it hasn't even gone under review. Other schools don't have nearly as long of a turnaround time despite being equally busy.
Yeah they've gone over the 10-week timeframe but my point is that at least they are letting us know what's going on. The poster I quoted made the point that Chicago is "jerking people around" and isn't being "accountable" which is just false. They are being very proactive about keeping people updated with the application process.

And your point about other schools' turnaround is complete nonsense. I applied to Chicago, CLS, NYU, UVA, Cornell and HLS on the same date (beginning of Nov). I herd from NYU in December, Chicago, the beginning of Feb. The same time I heard from Chicago I was asked to do an interview with Cornell and was told I would hear back about my status a week later (a week AFTER I heard from Chicago at the earliest). I'm still pending at both CLS and UVA (now two weeks after I heard from Chicago). I was held at HLS the same time I was given a decision by Chicago. The only school that has gotten back to me significant earlier than Chicago, then, was NYU.

(Also I applied to Duke but they gave me a PT fee waiver so it's not really applicable.)

I actually wish every school was more like Chicago. They review applications chronologically, they give out actual decisions when your turn comes around (Accept/WL/Reject; none of that "Held for further review" B.S.), and they have a predictable pattern to when decisions will come out. The fact that I had a pretty good idea of when to expect a decision, even if I had to wait longer than some other schools, made the wait a lot less nerve-wracking (save for the day or two prior to D-Day :wink: ).

Other schools, like Duke and NYU, have a fast turnaround for many applicants but leave many others completely in the dark for months. I've been complete at both those schools since early November and haven't heard a peep, and I really have no idea when to expect a decision. The fact that some applicants get a decision in 2 weeks and I've been waiting for nearly 4 months really turns me off to those schools.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:22 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

And your point about other schools' turnaround is complete nonsense. I applied to Chicago, CLS, NYU, UVA, Cornell and HLS on the same date (beginning of Nov). I herd from NYU in December, Chicago, the beginning of Feb. The same time I heard from Chicago I was asked to do an interview with Cornell and was told I would hear back about my status a week later (a week AFTER I heard from Chicago at the earliest). I'm still pending at both CLS and UVA (now two weeks after I heard from Chicago). I was held at HLS the same time I was given a decision by Chicago. The only school that has gotten back to me significant earlier than Chicago, then, was NYU.

I actually wish every school was more like Chicago. They review applications chronologically, they give out actual decisions when your turn comes around (Accept/WL/Reject; none of that "Held for further review" B.S.), and they have a predictable pattern to when decisions will come out. The fact that I had a pretty good idea of when I should expect a decision, even if I had to wait longer than some other schools, made the wait a lot less nerve-wracking (save for the day or two prior to D-Day :wink: ).

Other schools, like Duke and NYU, have a fast turnaround for many applicants but leave many others completely in the dark for months. I've been complete at both those schools since early November and haven't heard a peep, and I really have no idea when to expect a decision. The fact that some applicants get a decision in 2 weeks and I've been waiting for nearly 4 months really turns me off to those schools.
I feel like I don't have an idea at all. On their Twitter feed they said they were working thru Nov. & Dec. completes on 2/2 -- over two weeks ago. Per the admissions office, they have put files complete in the first half of December under review, but I don't think that's 100% accurate based on my own status checker. I have no idea when I can expect to be put under review and even less of an idea how long it'll take them to issue a decision once they put my file under review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:25 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:I actually wish every school was more like Chicago. They review applications chronologically, they give out actual decisions when your turn comes around (Accept/WL/Reject; none of that "Held for further review" B.S.), and they have a predictable pattern to when decisions will come out. The fact that I had a pretty good idea of when I should expect a decision, even if I had to wait longer than some other schools, made the wait a lot less nerve-wracking (save for the day or two prior to D-Day :wink: ).

Exactly!

My point is that sure, some schools get back to some students you really quickly like UVA, but I haven't heard a word from UVA in months and have no idea when somethings coming. At least I can follow Chicago's trends and know when I expect to hear something from them and I don't have to freak out all the time wondering what's up.
I feel like I don't have an idea at all. On their Twitter feed they said they were working thru Nov. & Dec. completes on 2/2 -- over two weeks ago. Per the admissions office, they have put files complete in the first half of December under review, but I don't think that's 100% accurate based on my own status checker. I have no idea when I can expect to be put under review and even less of an idea how long it'll take them to issue a decision once they put my file under review.
That seems like a strange complaint. I mean, you don't know exactly when you're going to go UR but they're at least giving you an idea about where they are in the process. And you know that after going UR it is usually a few weeks (depending on where in the "period" you are), and before they release decisions you will get updated once and they will announce on Twitter that decisions are going out. What do you want, a play-by-play account of who is looking at your application at every moment?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

I actually wish every school was more like Chicago. They review applications chronologically, they give out actual decisions when your turn comes around (Accept/WL/Reject; none of that "Held for further review" B.S.), and they have a predictable pattern to when decisions will come out. The fact that I had a pretty good idea of when to expect a decision, even if I had to wait longer than some other schools, made the wait a lot less nerve-wracking (save for the day or two prior to D-Day :wink: ).

I disagree. I think Chicago is making a mistake. They are leaving their best applicants waiting for months. Many people who would strongly consider Chicago probably have acceptances at NYU and Columbia and maybe even visited by the time they hear a decision. By that time, they might have become emotionally invested somewhere else.

Why put yourself at a disadvantage, when you don't have to?

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

I actually wish every school was more like Chicago. They review applications chronologically, they give out actual decisions when your turn comes around (Accept/WL/Reject; none of that "Held for further review" B.S.), and they have a predictable pattern to when decisions will come out. The fact that I had a pretty good idea of when I should expect a decision, even if I had to wait longer than some other schools, made the wait a lot less nerve-wracking (save for the day or two prior to D-Day :wink: ).

Have people who went complete after you gone under review? I haven't been following this thread closely for a week or so, but they were quite consistent when it came to putting people under review chronologically for the first couple months.

Personally, I didn't pay as much attention to the UR dates as I did to the completion dates of the last batch to receive a decision.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:That seems like a strange complaint. I mean, you don't know exactly when you're going to go UR but they're at least giving you an idea about where they are in the process. And you know that after going UR it is usually a few weeks (depending on where in the "period" you are), and before they release decisions you will get updated once and they will announce on Twitter that decisions are going out. What do you want, a play-by-play account of who is looking at your application at every moment?
How is it a strange complaint to want to know approximately when I can expect to go UR? You seem to be arguing that the predictability of U of C's review process is a positive thing, so why would you think it's strange that I want predictability? I would like be able to discern an approximate time frame of how long after going complete I can reasonably expect to go UR. I feel like there was approximately a two-month time frame for earlier completes, but it has been getting longer and longer for later completes, and I really don't know when I can even expect my application to be looked at anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Have people who went complete after you gone under review? I haven't been following this thread closely for a week or so, but they were quite consistent when it came to putting people under review chronologically for the first couple months.

Personally, I didn't pay as much attention to the UR dates as I did to the completion dates of the last batch to receive a decision.
I spoke to someone at the admissions office who told me the group in which my complete date falls had already gone UR, so I am guessing I should have gone UR with those people. I haven't seen anyone post about going UR on here for awhile, so I don't know if someone with a later complete date than mine has already gone UR.
Last edited by blue5385 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
wow dude take a chill pill

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:40 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:wow dude take a chill pill
Taken. And it was so yummy I took another one.
How is it a strange complaint to want to know approximately when I can expect to go UR? You seem to be arguing that the predictability of U of C's review process is a positive thing, so why would you think it's strange that I want predictability? I would like be able to discern an approximate time frame of how long after going complete I can reasonably expect to go UR. I feel like there was approximately a two-month time frame for earlier completes, but it has been getting longer and longer for later completes, and I really don't know when I can even expect my application to be looked at anymore.
What's strange to me is that I think you do have an approximation about when you'll be going UR, and your beef is that you don't exactly when it's going to happen. And if it's true that your complete group has already gone UR and you haven't, then you're an outlier and not a very good example of the general way in which Chicago's process works.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:42 pm

scribelaw wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

I disagree. I think Chicago is making a mistake. They are leaving their best applicants waiting for months. Many people who would strongly consider Chicago probably have acceptances at NYU and Columbia and maybe even visited by the time they hear a decision. By that time, they might have become emotionally invested somewhere else.

Why put yourself at a disadvantage, when you don't have to?
People also wait "months" for NYU and Columbia, and sometimes they wait only to find that they'll need to wait longer (just read the CLS thread and see how many people were "Held for Further Review"). Aside from that, I really don't see how Chicago is making people wait an inordinate amount of time. It's only mid-February and, based on the completion dates of the last batch, I expect this upcoming one will include the majority of the people who went complete in December. That's pretty reasonable, imo.

I understand your point, though. If you're lucky enough to be one of the applicants with a 2-3 week turnaround at NYU, it's easy to understand why they would score some points with you. If you're not, however, it's pretty annoying to see it happen to others while you wait in the dark for 4+ months. Just depends on which side of the coin you happen to be on.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:I understand your point, though. If you're lucky enough to be one of the applicants with a 2-3 week turnaround at NYU, it's easy to understand why they would score some points with you. If you're not, however, it's pretty annoying to see it happen to others while you wait in the dark for 4+ months.
Bingo.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Will probably withdraw my application this week so my application cycle can finally be over. I'm actually very surprised and thankful that Chicago W/L me. I was expecting a straight ding with my numbers.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:What's strange to me is that I think you do have an approximation about when you'll be going UR, and your beef is that you don't exactly when it's going to happen. And if it's true that your complete group has already gone UR and you haven't, then you're an outlier and not a very good example of the general way in which Chicago's process works.
At this point, you are saying random nonsense for the sake of argument.
Last edited by blue5385 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Will probably withdraw my application this week so my application cycle can finally be over. I'm actually very surprised and thankful that Chicago W/L me. I was expecting a straight ding with my numbers.
Hah. :D I did a victory dance when HLS "held" me, and then called my SO and told her that I "wasn't rejected" from Harvard! She was confused.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jadjerd

New

Post by jadjerd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
jadjerd wrote:Sent 12/3, Complete 12/18.. not Under review yet. This string is not making me hopeful and not impressing me with UC either. Are they really that unaccountable? What does that say about the school's management as a whole?

Anyways.. if anybody has any thoughts based on your collective wisdom of when they might actually take a peak at my application, I'd appreciate it. My buddy attending Michigan now said she didn't get her acceptance until days before her Summer Start at Michigan began, although I don't know when she applied. Lame. Jerking people around because you can't find an efficient way to get through your pool isn't going to pull folks away from HYS. At least Yale has an explanation for why they take so long.

Yet.. I still really want to go: good vibes on my visit. Probably a long shot if they haven't read mine yet, tho.
Actually, UChi does a pretty good job as far as letting you know where they are as far as going over apps via their Twitter account and they move through them in chronological order from when they go complete. If you do follow their Twitter account you'll know that the last batch of decisions that went out (around 2/5) were people going complete from early-mid November (maybe late Nov and a few early Dec as well).

Whereas other schools go through applications seemingly randomly (I'm sure there are reasons for the way they proceed as well), Chicago actually has a very strict process that is easy to follow. I don't know how any of their process accounts to "jerking people around" or being "unaccountable." Sounds more like you're just impatient about not having gone UR, yet.

Sure, you have to wait and that sucks but Chi does a pretty good job letting you know what's going on as far as decisions go.
Thanks for the lead on the Twitter feed. I appreciate the info about their process, and definitely am heartened to know they have one (the previous comments were not inspiring much confidence). I was definitely a little annoyed when I posted, but don't you think giving decisions to people who applied before your deadline in May and late May is a little ridiculous? Considering the number of schools requiring deposits in April? If they need to move up their deadline so they get a smaller pool, or whatever? Isn't it just impractical to tell applicants that late? Maybe I'm thinking to much from the point of view of having many good choices...

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Finally went "Complete" after about a month and a half. Hope is nonexistent.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 pm

TheWire wrote:I wish there was a way to "Un-tag"

I will always be bitter...

PS. If there is a way to untag and you tell me...I will leave the nicest, sweetest comments after your posts
They must have decided that you're just too much of a Southern California dude to survive in their frigid conditions. Or maybe they were worried that you would distract their female students from intellectual pursuits. :wink:

I posted a while ago in the "Official 'Where Did You Hear From Today?'" thread, and somehow it's no longer tagged, so there must be a way to remove a tag.

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 pm

For those who were asking about the waitlist: Chicago does not rank the waitlist. They may begin re-considering waitlisted applicants as early as March, and they encourage sending a "Why Chicago" essay and an additional LOR.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am

CardinalRules wrote:
TheWire wrote:I wish there was a way to "Un-tag"

I will always be bitter...

PS. If there is a way to untag and you tell me...I will leave the nicest, sweetest comments after your posts
They must have decided that you're just too much of a Southern California dude to survive in their frigid conditions. Or maybe they were worried that you would distract their female students from intellectual pursuits. :wink:

I posted a while ago in the "Official 'Where Did You Hear From Today?'" thread, and somehow it's no longer tagged, so there must be a way to remove a tag.
TITCR

It took me a while to figure out who you were...the name changes have been getting to me

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Has anyone with a complete date later than 12/11 (latest complete --> UR date reported so far itt) gone UR yet?

Cherith Cutestory

New

Post by Cherith Cutestory » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:25 pm

blue5385 wrote:Has anyone with a complete date later than 12/11 (latest complete --> UR date reported so far itt) gone UR yet?
Just went UR yesterday (2/19) with a complete date of 12/15.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Cherith Cutestory wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Has anyone with a complete date later than 12/11 (latest complete --> UR date reported so far itt) gone UR yet?
Just went UR yesterday (2/19) with a complete date of 12/15.
interesting, I have an earlier complete date (but close to yours) and still haven't gone UR. I guess they don't do them in strictly chronological order then?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”