U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 am

people with low numbers who thought they were going to be dinged but were instead accepted or waitlisted, what do you think swayed the adcomms in your favor (apart from factors like URM status)?

1armedscissor

Postby 1armedscissor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 am

WL'ed here too. I like Chicago quite a lot and want to stay on the waitlist, but I'm not sure if it's worth the additional long-drawn-out rejection notice at the end, especially when I have offers from Michigan and Penn. :?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:34 am

Did anyone else get accepted yesterday? Kind of a strange thing. I must have been extremely borderline or something.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
stopscreaming wrote:
Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:At the risk of sounding extremely immodest, I am shocked by some of the applicants Chicago is WLing this cycle, including myself. My best guesses are A) they know some of us aren't interested and it's a very selective form of YP or B) something about our applications rubbed them the wrong way.

Besides Y and S, Chicago is the only law school in the T10 with a small class size. I've noticed that schools with smaller class sizes tend to make more difficult-to-explain decisions. Even Cornell, which is obviously quite a bit less selective than Chicago, makes some curious choices during the admissions cycle. It makes sense, I guess. When a school has 180 seats to fill instead of 500, they're more free to rely on "will they fit in?" intuitions and other idiosyncratic criteria.

As one of the aforementioned people who got in with lower numbers, I think that the second explanation sounds right. My U of C acceptance letter was the first one I have seen which actually seemed tailored to me specifically. "You were chosen because of..." Even with Michigan, where Dean Z adds hand written notes, nothing was this specific.

I got WL'd today with numbers that, by all rights, should have gotten me dinged straight out. I may actually start to believe that they're even reading our applications. There's no other reason for them to have kept me, really.

What were those auto ding stats? Were you above one of the medians?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 am

blue5385 wrote:people with low numbers who thought they were going to be dinged but were instead accepted or waitlisted, what do you think swayed the adcomms in your favor (apart from factors like URM status)?

I like to think my PS really resonated with some people and that it helped me get in despite relatively low numbers. However, I'm sure most people feel like they have a solid and convincing PS as well. Also, I had an addendum that explained that my GPA is completely unrepresentative, and illustrated what sort of figure truly represents my capabilities. Perhaps they took that to heart. Finally, I have a fairly unique career goal, so maybe that's something that caught their eye.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:42 am

ndirish2010 wrote:What were those auto ding stats? Were you above one of the medians?

169/3.5
Below the 25th percentile in GPA and at the 25th for the LSAT. I was was nowhere near their medians.

blue5385 wrote:people with low numbers who thought they were going to be dinged but were instead accepted or waitlisted, what do you think swayed the adcomms in your favor (apart from factors like URM status)?

I honestly don't know. I liked my PS, but I assume that most applicants like what they submitted. I did an addendum for my GPA, and maybe that helped? I did something right on the resume I sent? I sure wish I knew, but in any event I'm glad that they didn't just ding me. :)

Richard Rorty

Postby Richard Rorty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 am

Complete 12/30 still not UR. When will I see some action?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 am

Richard Rorty wrote:Complete 12/30 still not UR. When will I see some action?

If the current pace holds, you'll be UR In about three weeks.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 am

Waitlisted today via email. I'm definitely going to put some thought into this essay. Hopefully a few of us WL will eventually be admitted...

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 am

Ouch. A bunch of 3.8-3.9/170-171 in the WL bloodbath. Has all this snow got UChi in a bad mood?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 am

when is chicago's ASW?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:05 am

puppleberry finn wrote:when is chicago's ASW?

April 8-10

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 am

kittenmittons wrote:

April 8-10

thanks km

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 am

puppleberry finn wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

April 8-10

thanks km

You're welcome pupple

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 am

when can i expect to hear anything (not a decision....just any communication) if i applied on 1/5?

dms87

Postby dms87 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry about the dings, and good luck to everyone trying to get off the waitlist. We're all rooting for you.

I was complete 12/3, first UR 2/2, no change. I guess I wasn't in this batch of decision (meaning last Friday or last night). I wonder when I'll hear? I was expecting a status change at some point this week; maybe my UR changes today. hmmmmm. As always, any insight is appreciated.

1armedscissor

Postby 1armedscissor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

somewhatwayward wrote:when can i expect to hear anything (not a decision....just any communication) if i applied on 1/5?

I applied early November and didn't get much out of them. They have a small staff and take their time so I would be patient. I became UR in early January and heard that I was WL'ed yesterday. Good luck!

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 am

dms87 wrote:Sorry about the dings, and good luck to everyone trying to get off the waitlist. We're all rooting for you.

I was complete 12/3, first UR 2/2, no change. I guess I wasn't in this batch of decision (meaning last Friday or last night). I wonder when I'll hear? I was expecting a status change at some point this week; maybe my UR changes today. hmmmmm. As always, any insight is appreciated.

I was complete 12/3, too, and I first went UR on 2/2. I got another update on 2/4 with no decision in this batch. Maybe you'll get another update soon, too!

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am

lsathalon wrote:
dms87 wrote:Sorry about the dings, and good luck to everyone trying to get off the waitlist. We're all rooting for you.

I was complete 12/3, too, and I first went UR on 2/2. I got another update on 2/4 with no decision in this batch. Maybe you'll get another update soon, too!

Don't get disheartened if you don't have an update soon. I also had a couple UR updates shortly before the first RD batch, followed by zero movement until the day before the second batch a few weeks later.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

dakatz wrote:

I like to think my PS really resonated with some people and that it helped me get in despite relatively low numbers. However, I'm sure most people feel like they have a solid and convincing PS as well. Also, I had an addendum that explained that my GPA is completely unrepresentative, and illustrated what sort of figure truly represents my capabilities. Perhaps they took that to heart. Finally, I have a fairly unique career goal, so maybe that's something that caught their eye.

I got in with LSAT below 25th but GPA above the 75th. I'm a middle-class white girl (a.k.a. white bread), so I didn't write a DS. My UG was decidedly unimpressive. I also had to explain two underage drinking violations, which I did very succinctly.

Same as dakatz, I liked my PS, but I bet a lot of people wrote good ones. I also have a pretty unique career goal, and work experience that aligns perfectly with that career goal. In the end, though, I have no idea why the hell they let me in.

Edit: for wrong name.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

thorntll wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I got in with LSAT below 25th but GPA above the 75th. I'm a middle-class white girl (a.k.a. white bread), so I didn't write a DS. My UG was decidedly unimpressive. I also had to explain two underage drinking violations, which I did very succinctly.

Same as dakatz, I liked my PS, but I bet a lot of people wrote good ones. I also have a pretty unique career goal, and work experience that aligns perfectly with that career goal. In the end, though, I have no idea why the hell they let me in.

One thing this cycle has taught me is that the importance of having unique and/or clearly defined career goals is understated. That factor has been one of the few common denominators I've consistently seen among people that have gotten into "reach" schools.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 pm

thorntll wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I am below both 25% and got the WL. Honestly, my first thought is I am a legacy (both of the law school and undergrad), so maybe this is a soft rejection to make parents feel better. If it is entirely on merits I have an unusual and fairly incredibly life story (particularly the past 3 years) and a great personal statement (It has been mentioned in my admissions so far). Who knows. I would love to go to Chicago, but banning an LSAT miracle when Feb scores come out, I think it is a looong shot.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:One thing this cycle has taught me is that the importance of having unique and/or clearly defined career goals is understated. That factor has been one of the few common denominators I've consistently seen among people that have gotten into "reach" schools.

I was a little worried that I was too specific about my career goals in my PS and should have been a little more vague -- it's good to know you believe you actually benefited from doing this.
Last edited by blue5385 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 pm

I've been complete for 10 weeks today. Ready for my ding now. When are us UR 1/30s expecting to get a decision?

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

blue5385 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:One thing this cycle has taught me is that the importance of having unique and/or clearly defined career goals is understated. That factor has been one of the few common denominators I've consistently seen among people that have gotten into "reach" schools.

I was a little worried that I was too specific about my career goals in my PS and should have been a little more vague -- it's good to know you believe you actually benefited from doing this.

Also, I didn't think adcomms took factors like this into much consideration, but I wonder if U of C will give weight to the fact that I will live/work in Chicago after graduating from LS and would therefore be likely to choose the school that has the best local rep (aka, them).

To clarify, I don't think it's of tremendous importance, but I do think it's a "soft" that counts for a little more than is commonly perceived (especially if you have the background/experience to back up your interest and your goals align with the strengths of that particular school). The importance of having clearly defined career goals might be a tad inflated by the fact that applications are up so much and many people seem to be applying simply because they lack a better alternative.

FWIW, I didn't include specific or unique career aspirations anywhere in my application. It's just something I've noticed over the past few weeks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”