U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheWire

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 am

eas331 wrote:
puppleberry finn wrote:
eas331 wrote:I can't believe I contributed to a tangent.

you will do so well at chicago

Ouch! :wink:

Anybody higher the both 75% from sept. - nov. completion dates still UR?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 am

TheWire wrote:Anybody higher the both 75% from sept. - nov. completion dates still UR?

me

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Calls/emails/smoke signals today?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 pm

homing pigeons, i think

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Poison darts - they sent their operatives out around 9am CST I think. If you wake up, you're in. If not...

arb44

Postby arb44 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:00 pm

no mail:

Due to the storm the Postal Service is suspending delivery and collections throughout the region. The decision affects delivery and collections for all of Maryland, Washington DC, Northern Virginia down to Richmond and west to Charlottesville.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... pdates.htm

Edit: for people in D.C. like me

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

arb44 wrote:no mail:

Due to the storm the Postal Service is suspending delivery and collections throughout the region. The decision affects delivery and collections for all of Maryland, Washington DC, Northern Virginia down to Richmond and west to Charlottesville.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... pdates.htm

Edit: for people in D.C. like me

Good thing Chicago is a completely paperless admissions process. Sucks with respect to receiving other decisions though.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
managamy wrote:
Not a Reese fan; she's too American and un-exotic to me compared with Catherine Zeta-Jones or Eva Mendes, for example. But still it's pretty creditable for Stanford.

I don't want to get married--ever--but I would seriously reconsider if my tar or a few other foreign ladies were an option. :wink:

I'd kind of like to...

Maybe Ryan will come available sometime in the future. And, you know, the laws'll change.

Next time it gets voted on in California it'll be legal. Only reason Prop 8 passed in 2008 was that Obama was on the ballot and many of the (liberal but very anti-gay) minorities who usually stay at home on election day came out to vote. That's a gross oversimplification, but one that does a decent job of explaining Prop 8's otherwise seemingly unlikely passage.

There's also the fact that the Yes on 8 campaign was very good at using California's social libertarianism against itself. My ex-girlfriend's mom, who's Catholic but still quite liberal in social issues (e.g. abortion), voted for Proposition 8 because she believed that without it, churches opposed to same-sex marriage would be forced to officiate over them. She voted for Prop. 8 on libertarian grounds, as weird as that sounds to you and me.

But yeah, California will probably be the first state to legalize gay marriage by referendum. Gay marriage only lost by 5 percentage points in 2008. By the time it gets on the ballot (likely in 2012), four more years of young voters -- who supported gay marriage by 2:1 --will be on the rolls, and four more years of old, anti-gay voters dying will have transpired. The demographic logic alone warrants a strong presumption in favor of a win for gay marriage in 2012, and when you also consider that the Mormon Church regrets its involvement in 2008 and is thus unlikely to donate $20 million and its grassroots force again, the legalization of gay marriage in California looks like an inevitability.

I wouldn't say the Mormon Church regrets its involvement in Prop 8. Actually, while supporting a gay-rights bill in Salt Lake City three months ago, it reaffirmed its position that while it supports gay civil rights and will encourage its members to stand for them while on the ballot, it still stand firmly against gay marriage (and will continue to campaign firmly against it).

Also. I would not assume that the public is trending towards support for gay marriage. Here are four reasons why gay marriage will not be legal in California in 2012:

1) Obama will once again bring out Hispanic and African American voters (who overwhelmingly do not support gay rights or marriage).
2) Libertarian/Fiscally Conservative Voters/Socially Indifferent Voters (which make up a chunk of the likely voter electorate) have been shown to poll pro-gay rights, then vote anti-gay marriage (in protecting Catholic and Mormon churches and other organizations who dispute gay marriage).
3) "Young People" are less pro-gay marriage in the progressive-East-Coast sense than you may think. In a large chunk of California (San Diego, Orange County, South LA, Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Salinas, Valleys), the youth electorate is split pro/anti gay marriage and did not trend pro-gay marriage like everyone thought they would. They also tended to jump ship as No-on-8 poll numbers dropped (meaning that the highly-publicized victory for Yes in 2008 may sway many over to the Yes-side).
4) The Supreme Court will likely hear this case regardless of a 2012 vote.

dudester

Postby dudester » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:06 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I'd kind of like to...

Maybe Ryan will come available sometime in the future. And, you know, the laws'll change.

Next time it gets voted on in California it'll be legal. Only reason Prop 8 passed in 2008 was that Obama was on the ballot and many of the (liberal but very anti-gay) minorities who usually stay at home on election day came out to vote. That's a gross oversimplification, but one that does a decent job of explaining Prop 8's otherwise seemingly unlikely passage.

There's also the fact that the Yes on 8 campaign was very good at using California's social libertarianism against itself. My ex-girlfriend's mom, who's Catholic but still quite liberal in social issues (e.g. abortion), voted for Proposition 8 because she believed that without it, churches opposed to same-sex marriage would be forced to officiate over them. She voted for Prop. 8 on libertarian grounds, as weird as that sounds to you and me.

But yeah, California will probably be the first state to legalize gay marriage by referendum. Gay marriage only lost by 5 percentage points in 2008. By the time it gets on the ballot (likely in 2012), four more years of young voters -- who supported gay marriage by 2:1 --will be on the rolls, and four more years of old, anti-gay voters dying will have transpired. The demographic logic alone warrants a strong presumption in favor of a win for gay marriage in 2012, and when you also consider that the Mormon Church regrets its involvement in 2008 and is thus unlikely to donate $20 million and its grassroots force again, the legalization of gay marriage in California looks like an inevitability.

I wouldn't say the Mormon Church regrets its involvement in Prop 8. Actually, while supporting a gay-rights bill in Salt Lake City three months ago, it reaffirmed its position that while it supports gay civil rights and will encourage its members to stand for them while on the ballot, it still stand firmly against gay marriage (and will continue to campaign firmly against it).

Also. I would not assume that the public is trending towards support for gay marriage. Here are four reasons why gay marriage will not be legal in California in 2012:

1) Obama will once again bring out Hispanic and African American voters (who overwhelmingly do not support gay rights or marriage).
2) Libertarian/Fiscally Conservative Voters/Socially Indifferent Voters (which make up a chunk of the likely voter electorate) have been shown to poll pro-gay rights, then vote anti-gay marriage (in protecting Catholic and Mormon churches and other organizations who dispute gay marriage).
3) "Young People" are less pro-gay marriage in the progressive-East-Coast sense than you may think. In a large chunk of California (San Diego, Orange County, South LA, Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Salinas, Valleys), the youth electorate is split pro/anti gay marriage and did not trend pro-gay marriage like everyone thought they would. They also tended to jump ship as No-on-8 poll numbers dropped (meaning that the highly-publicized victory for Yes in 2008 may sway many over to the Yes-side).

Um, you're late to the party. We've moved on.

Any more conjectures on what fate awaits the remaining members of the 2/4 crew?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 pm

dudester wrote:Any more conjectures on what fate awaits the remaining members of the 2/4 crew?

I'm hoping for a 3rd update and an accentance next batch.

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:25 pm

^ Hopefully a better fate than that of the 2/Live crew? hth.

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 pm

I bet some are waitlists, and some will probably/hopefully get another update and then some acceptances, some waitlists. The numbers are too good to be flat out rejects, probably.

acecrusher06

Postby acecrusher06 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm

any updates anyone?

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:32 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I wouldn't say the Mormon Church regrets its involvement in Prop 8. Actually, while supporting a gay-rights bill in Salt Lake City three months ago, it reaffirmed its position that while it supports gay civil rights and will encourage its members to stand for them while on the ballot, it still stand firmly against gay marriage (and will continue to campaign firmly against it).

I didn't mean to imply that the Church is suddenly pro-gay-marriage or anything like that. I just know how sensitive the Church is about its public image, and given the large backlash against the Church's political involvement, I doubt that they'll approach the 2012 gay marriage battle with the same fervor.

A good parallel to keep in mind is the Church's past racist doctrines: as the Church's position on race became less and less popular, it became less and less outspoken about it, until it repudiated the racist doctrines almost entirely in 1978.

You're mistaken about the facts. Going point by point:

1) While it's true that African-American voters in California voted for Prop. 8 by wide margins, the Hispanic segment of the electorate was split roughly evenly. (Political scientists believe this is partially attributable to the youth of the Hispanic demographic.) But these figures aren't even immediately relevant to your point, given that exit polls indicated that first-time voters who voted for Obama supported marriage equality by a substantial margin. You seem to forget that Obama also galvanized a lot of young, white voters, who were No on 8's main base of support.

2) I wouldn't be at all surprised if socially-indifferent voters voted for Prop. 8. As I said before, the Yes on 8 campaign did a very good job of turning California's general social libertarianism against itself. Unfortunately for the anti-gay-marriage crowd, Yes on 8 relied on lies to make this case. Remember the ads saying that, if Prop. 8 didn't pass, conservative churches would be forced to officiate over gay marriages? (I think this may be where you get your idea that Prop. 8 would "[protect] Catholic and Mormon churches".) As a matter of law, that claim is absurd. These lies worked in 2008 because the No on 8 campaign was caught on its heels, but it's unlikely that such brazen falsehoods would fool the California electorate twice. Remember my ex-girlfriend's mom? She regrets her Yes on 8 vote for precisely these reasons, and by 2012, she won't be the only one.

3) With regard to the general pro-gay attitudes of the under-30s, the polling data speaks for itself: Young voters supported gay marriage by a 2:1 margin. This is so strongly supported by the evidence that you can't dispute it without casting doubt on the entire enterprise of election forecasting. Frankly, I'm surprised that you're taking the position you do here.

4) I don't see what the Supreme Court has to do with this, unless you believe that the Court will strike down gay marriage as unconstitutional. Needless to say, that's about as unlikely as unlikely gets.

Taipei, you've left the most salient empirical fact unaddressed: gay marriage bans have been losing support by one or two points every year pretty much everywhere, including California. Unless you can identify some mechanism by which this trend would reverse itself, your position that gay marriage will not be legal in California soon is simply wishful thinking.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:03 pm

How long does it take to go UR once complete?

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:How long does it take to go UR once complete?

Well...up to now, it has been taking months. I'd think because the entire applicant pool is in now, maybe things will speed up a little. But don't expect a quick turn around from UofC

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I wonder what happened to that whole "early next week" thing.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

holybartender wrote:I wonder what happened to that whole "early next week" thing.

+1 :|

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:How long does it take to go UR once complete?

Based on the last few people who have reported going UR, two months and one day. (Not like I have been following this thread obsessively while waiting to go UR or anything...)

Saya

Postby Saya » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Waitlisted.

:cry:

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Waitlisted... :(

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Ouch, also waitlisted. Didn't get an email, but the status checker says so.

2 waitlists in one day. It's still better than a hold.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Ouch, also waitlisted. Didn't get an email, but the status checker says so.

I'm shocked. Dang, man.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Kronk wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Ouch, also waitlisted. Didn't get an email, but the status checker says so.

I'm literally shocked. Dang, man.

Eh, it's not that surprising. LSAT is too low. Thanks though.

acecrusher06

Postby acecrusher06 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

hmmm i wonder what this means for those who didn't hear yet and are part of the 2/4 crowd

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”