U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Walfredo47
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Walfredo47 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:44 pm

TheWire wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
TheWire wrote:when did the calls start going out on Friday?


Round 2 east coast. By the way, Dark Side and Animals are way cooler than The Wall


Honestly, like REALLY honestly, nobody here has thought about or listened to as much Pink Floyd as me. Without question, The Wall is their most spectacular achievement. It is the most original, the most intricate, and the most difficult for the lay person to appreciate. It is by far my favorite album.

With the being said, it is the most difficult album for a non-fan to listen to. It is not meant to be periphery music; it is made to touch your soul on a very solemn level. I definitely do not listen to this album the most. If you were comparing it to a book, it would NOT be an easy read.

Dark side is by far the easiest album to get through, but it is because many of the songs are similar in nature. It is not a bad thing, but it just doesn't push the audience like The Wall.

The album I listen to the most is Wish you were here...because it is their most complete album.

Animals is definitely amazing...although it should be clear the the majority of fans greatly favor Dogs and Pigs more than sheep (fairly or unfairly, as sheep's value comes from the lyrics as opposed to the music, which is not true of the other two songs).

Ultimately, in all: Wall>Wish you were here>Animals> Dark Side

No real fan really likes Dark side the most, only the occasional listener. Similarly, Pink floyd, themselves, don't view animals as a major achievement...check the wikipedia page for them...

I'd be glad to discuss this more...


Respectfully disagree. Where is Meddle in any discussion of their greatest albums? Meddle: Pink Floyd :: Revolver: Beatles -- A "putting a flag in the ground" type statement that is both an exceptionally achievement in its own right, and a harbinger of future success.

One of these days, Fearless, A Pillow of Winds, Echoes... come on...that album is incredible

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Sent in my LOCI today, hopefully I get off this WL in the next few weeks.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:46 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:With that said... Dark Side changed music. It is the easiest to listen to , but it is also incredibly original and inventive (esp for 1970). Great Gig is ridiculously cool... Time is amazing, Us and Them is on par with Comfortably Numb and brain damage was sooooooo cool. Money may be the least original but still incredible.
I like how the "least original" song on the album is in 7/4 time and features a tenor sax solo fed through a delay pedal. Goes to show Pink Floyd's badassery.

I'm glad to see the Pink Floyd fans (and you guys aren't just dilettantes if The Wall is your favorite) coming out in force in this thread. I was worried that with my B-type, somewhat-more-artsy personality, I wouldn't fit in at law school. You guys are giving me hope. :D


Least original does not mean it is unoriginal. And 7/4 is only part of the song. A lot of it is in 4/4

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7110
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Dark Side is my favorite album of all time. That said, I still haven't delved into the others as much as I would like to.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:49 pm

los blancos wrote:Dark Side is my favorite album of all time. That said, I still haven't delved into the others as much as I would like to.


Do it man... get the whole library (including DVD's, especially Pompeii)

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


I use the banter to distract my mind from the wait. Oh, the wait. I had almost forgot.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


Buzzkill... I'm waiting for a decision too. I'm pretty sure no acceptances today at this point.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:53 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


Buzzkill... I'm waiting for a decision too. I'm pretty sure no acceptances today at this point.


I wasn't trying to kill buzzes, but I use to loath (okay...want to kill) people when I saw that the chicago thread had bumped to say..."dude, did you see that 'can I have yo numba' youtube video?".

alabamabound
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby alabamabound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


I hate Pink Floyd w/ a passion but will change my ringtone to the pretentious PF opus of J.S. Mill's choice if I get into Chicago this week.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm

alabamabound wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


I hate Pink Floyd w/ a passion but will change my ringtone to the pretentious PF opus of J.S. Mill's choice if I get into Chicago this week.


+1, except I will change it away from said opus.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:57 pm

alabamabound wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


I hate Pink Floyd w/ a passion but will change my ringtone to the pretentious PF opus of J.S. Mill's choice if I get into Chicago this week.


What about Floyd is pretentious?

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Leave this thread. Christ.

User avatar
johnstuartmill
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:59 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:With that said... Dark Side changed music. It is the easiest to listen to , but it is also incredibly original and inventive (esp for 1970). Great Gig is ridiculously cool... Time is amazing, Us and Them is on par with Comfortably Numb and brain damage was sooooooo cool. Money may be the least original but still incredible.
I like how the "least original" song on the album is in 7/4 time and features a tenor sax solo fed through a delay pedal. Goes to show Pink Floyd's badassery.

I'm glad to see the Pink Floyd fans (and you guys aren't just dilettantes if The Wall is your favorite) coming out in force in this thread. I was worried that with my B-type, somewhat-more-artsy personality, I wouldn't fit in at law school. You guys are giving me hope. :D


Least original does not mean it is unoriginal. And 7/4 is only part of the song. A lot of it is in 4/4

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Those weren't scare quotes around "least original", although I can understand why you'd read them that way.

Pretty sure the song is almost entirely in 7/4, though. Even the short sections that seem like they're in four (which comprise maybe 15% of the song) are subsumed within 14-beat (i.e., 7*2) units.

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby psychomohel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:59 pm

D Brooks wrote:Leave this thread. Christ.


+1

Seriously, can we please keep this thread to Chicago discussion.

alabamabound
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby alabamabound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:10 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
alabamabound wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Seriously guys...the music talk can probably venture over to the banter thread. Everytime this thread bumps I wonder if they are sending out acceptances again and step in to say congrats. I'm sure all of those waiting on a decision feel the same way.


I hate Pink Floyd w/ a passion but will change my ringtone to the pretentious PF opus of J.S. Mill's choice if I get into Chicago this week.


What about Floyd is pretentious?


Actually, the hate this discussion is inspiring makes me happy to admit I have a fondness for some of the early Syd Barrett stuff.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Crackberry, why am I your least favor poster? And why did you delete the comment?

I distinctly remember that you used to like me.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby TheWire » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:11 pm

psychomohel wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Leave this thread. Christ.


+1

Seriously, can we please keep this thread to Chicago discussion.


There isn't much to discuss until the bloodbath of WL/Rejects fall in...

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

D Brooks wrote:Crackberry, why am I your least favor poster? And why did you delete the comment?

I distinctly remember that you used to like me.

I deleted the comment because it was rash and stupid. I didn't mean it. I'm having a long day and I'm sorry.

I just have no idea why anyone would get pissed at people for discussing something (even if it's entirely irrelevant) on an Internet discussion board. That's what these places are for. There are inane tangents in every major thread on this board. It's just what happens.

Is your newest SN an update? What was the old one?

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 pm

TheWire wrote:
psychomohel wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Leave this thread. Christ.


+1

Seriously, can we please keep this thread to Chicago discussion.


There isn't much to discuss until the bloodbath of WL/Rejects fall in...


I will be crying this day.

crackberry wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Crackberry, why am I your least favor poster? And why did you delete the comment?

I distinctly remember that you used to like me.

I deleted the comment because it was rash and stupid. I didn't mean it. I'm having a long day and I'm sorry.

I just have no idea why anyone would get pissed at people for discussing something (even if it's entirely irrelevant) on an Internet discussion board. That's what these places are for. There are inane tangents in every major thread on this board. It's just what happens.

Is your newest SN an update? What was the old one?


Takes a strong individual to admit that. <3.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 pm

I have a guess as to who you are but I won't say to protect your anonymity. Assuming you are the person whose roommate seemingly didn't care when you got into your first T10 school and instead wanted you to pay rent or whatever, I apologize again. I do like you.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:27 pm

This thread seems to bring out the bad vibes from everyone most of the time.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

managamy wrote:This thread seems to bring out the bad vibes from everyone most of the time.


This thread also represent the rebirth of managamy.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm

crackberry wrote:I have a guess as to who you are but I won't say to protect your anonymity. Assuming you are the person whose roommate seemingly didn't care when you got into your first T10 school and instead wanted you to pay rent or whatever, I apologize again. I do like you.


Kudos to you for retracting what you said. Most of us know that you're a much better person than that particular comment implied.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby TheWire » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:31 pm

managamy wrote:This thread seems to bring out the bad vibes from everyone most of the time.


UofC...where happiness goes to die




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests