U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jericwithers

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:No phone call...

...but just received an acceptance e-mail!

Maybe FP just missed the missed call. However, I wouldn't expect calls for us still waiting untill Friday at the earliest. They would probably want to see if they can decide on anyone else and put their call in with the rest of ours. I do hope that there are some more calls today in the next hour, but if there arn't I won't be holding my breath till Friday afternoon (or whenever the next Twitter update).

Didn't miss a missed call and received no voicemail, but it is very possible that my phone was not behaving properly and they were unable to get through.

Ya that's what I ment. Seems you were the only one who had that happen, so maybe there are some more calls they wanted to do on Friday. Please twitter us Chicago, please.

opus127

Postby opus127 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:12 pm

OK, that glimmer of hope I had is fading fast.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

eas331 wrote:OK, that glimmer of hope I had is fading fast.

+1 Waitlist City here I come

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:14 pm

when did the calls start going out on Friday?

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm

TheWire wrote:when did the calls start going out on Friday?

Round 2 east coast. By the way, Dark Side and Animals are way cooler than The Wall

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:18 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:

Round 2 east coast. By the way, Dark Side and Animals are way cooler than The Wall

lawapps0502

Postby lawapps0502 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:18 pm

thye start making calls in the morning. they seem to have a committee meeting mid-week when final decisions are made and then they either call or send out WL/rejection emails. so hold tight until then.

jumpinjackflash

Postby jumpinjackflash » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:21 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:

thye start making calls in the morning. they seem to have a committee meeting mid-week when final decisions are made and then they either call or send out WL/rejection emails. so hold tight until then.

but it think twitter said that they are sending out decisions early this week, please chicago please!

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:

Here's the problem with the Wall (and keep in mind I loooooove Pink Floyd), not every song is amazing. When I listen to it I want to skip around to Hey You or Comfortably Numb or the Trial... but I can do without some of the songs. When I listen to Dark Side or Animals (or even Wish you were here) I never skip songs.

jumpinjackflash

Postby jumpinjackflash » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:33 pm

got an idea, lets play a game and whoever loses has to call Chicago admissions and ask if they are sending out more decisions today, anybody....

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:34 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:

Here's the problem with the Wall (and keep in mind I loooooove Pink Floyd), not every song is amazing. When I listen to it I want to skip around to Hey You or Comfortably Numb or the Trial... but I can do without some of the songs. When I listen to Dark Side or Animals (or even Wish you were here) I never skip songs.

I enjoy the Wall as a single unit, and can only maximally enjoy the songs when they are played with the rest of them. While you listed some of the best songs, I find them most enjoyable when played as an album rather than as singles. I respect your opinion though, as not everyone has 75 minutes to kill listening to a single album lol.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 pm

jumpinjackflash wrote:got an idea, lets play a game and whoever loses has to call Chicago admissions and ask if they are sending out more decisions today, anybody....

JJF, what are your #s if you don't mind disclosing?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:44 pm

jumpinjackflash wrote:got an idea, lets play a game and whoever loses has to call Chicago admissions and ask if they are sending out more decisions today, anybody....

Check their Twitter page.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I enjoy the Wall as a single unit, and can only maximally enjoy the songs when they are played with the rest of them. While you listed some of the best songs, I find them most enjoyable when played as an album rather than as singles.

Credited. The transitions between songs are probably the most kickass thing about The Wall, and you don't get those without listening to the album start to finish. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Some songs on the album, though, consist of multiple sub-songs, and so exhibit awesome transitions by themselves. One of My Turns is a great example.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I enjoy the Wall as a single unit, and can only maximally enjoy the songs when they are played with the rest of them. While you listed some of the best songs, I find them most enjoyable when played as an album rather than as singles.

Credited. The transitions between songs are probably the most kickass thing about The Wall, and you don't get those without listening to the album start to finish. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Some songs on the album, though, consist of multiple sub-songs, and so exhibit awesome transitions by themselves. One of My Turns is a great example.

I agree about the transitions. It really is all basically 2 songs. Side one and side two. But I also have no problem skipping around. I feel dirty if I do that with Dark Side. BTW... have any of you seen Live from Pompeii? Coolest shit ever. Echoes is perfect.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:02 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:

Honestly, like REALLY honestly, nobody here has thought about or listened to as much Pink Floyd as me. Without question, The Wall is their most spectacular achievement. It is the most original, the most intricate, and the most difficult for the lay person to appreciate. It is by far my favorite album.

With the being said, it is the most difficult album for a non-fan to listen to. It is not meant to be periphery music; it is made to touch your soul on a very solemn level. I definitely do not listen to this album the most. If you were comparing it to a book, it would NOT be an easy read.

Dark side is by far the easiest album to get through, but it is because many of the songs are similar in nature. It is not a bad thing, but it just doesn't push the audience like The Wall.

The album I listen to the most is Wish you were here...because it is their most complete album.

Animals is definitely amazing...although it should be clear the the majority of fans greatly favor Dogs and Pigs more than sheep (fairly or unfairly, as sheep's value comes from the lyrics as opposed to the music, which is not true of the other two songs).

Ultimately, in all: Wall>Wish you were here>Animals> Dark Side

No real fan really likes Dark side the most, only the occasional listener. Similarly, Pink floyd, themselves, don't view animals as a major achievement...check the wikipedia page for them...

I'd be glad to discuss this more...

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:16 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:

I agree about the transitions. It really is all basically 2 songs. Side one and side two. But I also have no problem skipping around. I feel dirty if I do that with Dark Side. BTW... have any of you seen Live from Pompeii? Coolest shit ever. Echoes is perfect.

Credited.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Pink Floydd sux. Even that "we don't need no education" song. When it comes on the radio I change the station. Some of my worst memories are people attempting to force me to watch some wierd cartoon video or listen to it along with the Wizard of Oz. I didn't do the drugs, though. Something tells me it is required to really enjoy it.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:18 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Pink Floydd sux. Even that "we don't need no education" song. When it comes on the radio I change the station. Some of my worst memories are people attempting to force me to watch some wierd cartoon video or listen to it along with the Wizard of Oz. I didn't do the drugs, though. Something tells me it is required to really enjoy it.

This is what happens the next business day after admission calls. Look at what you do to your applicant constituency, U Chicago.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Pink Floydd sux. Even that "we don't need no education" song. When it comes on the radio I change the station. Some of my worst memories are people attempting to force me to watch some wierd cartoon video or listen to it along with the Wizard of Oz. I didn't do the drugs, though. Something tells me it is required to really enjoy it.

I once told someone that I couldn't respect a person that doesn't understand how to appreciate Pink Floyd music.

On the bright side, I think (and surely hope) you are laughing at your own comment...

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm

TheWire wrote:

I once told someone that I couldn't respect a person that doesn't understand how to appreciate Pink Floyd music.

On the bright side, I think (and surely hope) you are laughing at your own comment...

I'm mostly kidding. I even saw that video at the Berlin Wall. I had a friend who was really into drums and dru..s. He also made me watch way too much Rush stuff. I can appreciate it, but I have a lot of bad associations with it as well.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 pm

TheWire wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:

Honestly, like REALLY honestly, nobody here has thought about or listened to as much Pink Floyd as me. Without question, The Wall is their most spectacular achievement. It is the most original, the most intricate, and the most difficult for the lay person to appreciate. It is by far my favorite album.

With the being said, it is the most difficult album for a non-fan to listen to. It is not meant to be periphery music; it is made to touch your soul on a very solemn level. I definitely do not listen to this album the most. If you were comparing it to a book, it would NOT be an easy read.

Dark side is by far the easiest album to get through, but it is because many of the songs are similar in nature. It is not a bad thing, but it just doesn't push the audience like The Wall.

The album I listen to the most is Wish you were here...because it is their most complete album.

Animals is definitely amazing...although it should be clear the the majority of fans greatly favor Dogs and Pigs more than sheep (fairly or unfairly, as sheep's value comes from the lyrics as opposed to the music, which is not true of the other two songs).

Ultimately, in all: Wall>Wish you were here>Animals> Dark Side

No real fan really likes Dark side the most, only the occasional listener. Similarly, Pink floyd, themselves, don't view animals as a major achievement...check the wikipedia page for them...

I'd be glad to discuss this more...

You may have found your match my friend. I am by no means an occasional listener. I agree with you in part. The Wall is their greatest artistic achievement. It is a total mindfuck. The story, lyrics, transitions, instrumentals are sublime. Comfortably Numb is my second favorite Floyd Song (next to echoes) because of the emotional high it brings followed by the incredible solo at the end. The trial is out of this world... it's like i'm in a British theatre when I listen to it. All in all, incredible achievement.

With that said... Dark Side changed music. It is the easiest to listen to , but it is also incredibly original and inventive (esp for 1970). Great Gig is ridiculously cool... Time is amazing, Us and Them is on par with Comfortably Numb and brain damage was sooooooo cool. Money may be the least original but still incredible.

Animals... amazing. I am a huge fan of Richard Wright and Sheep was a perfect song for him. Jazzy, original, too many adjectives. Pigs had such a sick beat... simple yet so enthralling. Dogs was my least favorite.

Wish you were here brought it all together.

But Echoes... c'mon. Esp the version on Pompeii. Those crazy intense solos blow my mind. The beat is funky, and possibly my favorite singing from any song. A saucerful of secrets on that DVD is also incredible. pure chaos with an incredible transition into a beautiful song. I could talk about them all day. Someone stop me.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm

I got both of yall beat. I wrote my Penn art/literature essay on Pink Floyd's work. Your move :lol: .

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:With that said... Dark Side changed music. It is the easiest to listen to , but it is also incredibly original and inventive (esp for 1970). Great Gig is ridiculously cool... Time is amazing, Us and Them is on par with Comfortably Numb and brain damage was sooooooo cool. Money may be the least original but still incredible.
I like how the "least original" song on the album is in 7/4 time and features a tenor sax solo fed through a delay pedal. Goes to show Pink Floyd's badassery.

I'm glad to see the Pink Floyd fans (and you guys aren't just dilettantes if The Wall is your favorite) coming out in force in this thread. I was worried that with my B-type, somewhat-more-artsy personality (I was a music major once upon a time), I wouldn't fit in at law school. You guys are giving me hope. :D
Last edited by johnstuartmill on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I got both of yall beat. I wrote my Penn art/literature essay on Pink Floyd's work. Your move :lol: .

Much of my appreciation and love for Floyd stems from activities immensely inappropriate for an essay... but if that is true I commend you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”