U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:ITT: People prestige whoring when they are having a hard time getting in Chicago. LOL


hey just cause I get in doesn't change the facts. Prestige = "public perception"...


anyways Chicago please take me... i don't care if nobody outside of the midwest has ever heard of you


I live in Chicago and nobody has heard of UChicago.

My Brother kept telling me he was going to UIC hospital but it turns out it was U of Chicago hospital.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
Yale, MIT, and Harvard have much greater recognition worldwide than Stanford does though...

Actually Berkeley has more recognition in some parts than Stanford.

Harvard definitely does. I disagree about Yale, MIT and Berkeley though. Especially in Asia, it's Harvard/Stanford at the top. Then the rest. Europe probably prefers Yale to Stanford, granted.


Ehhhh I was in Asia... people don't always know Stanford... they do know Harvard/Yale and usually MIT. Only those with connections to Cali know how good Stanford is.

While I am as guilty of this as anyone, speaking in absolutes in this kind of debate is stupid. Stanford is not a regional school. That's an absurd comment. Lay people (doormen, garbage collectors, etc.) might not know how good Stanford is, but people who are smart certainly do - no matter where they live.


Well yeah definitely in the US thats true. However just referring to parts of China/Japan/Taiwan/Korea, the fact that Stanford is closer helps sometimes but I guess the old world veneer of Harvard and Yale along with Oxford and Cambridge give them greater weight

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:08 pm

crackberry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:ITT: People prestige whoring when they are having a hard time getting in Chicago. LOL

DF I was waiting for you to respond to an earlier post of mine but you never did. You said the only place Berkeley>Chicago is weather/location. I said IP, PI and LRAP. Agree?


I must have missed it. Yes I definitely agree. I can't believe I didn't think of IP because I'm going to law school for IP. I don't know about LRAP, but I'll take your word for it.

I'm also biased since I want to practice in Chicago. UChicago is better for Chicago than anything but HY in my opinion.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:10 pm

This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:11 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.

Does KU have more than one loss yet? Are they back to No. 1 after UK lost? For some reason I haven't been following college bball this season (probably because the Pac 10 is laughable).

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby 02082010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.


Mehhhh... Princeton > Harvard, IMO.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.


true Harvard is number 1 worldwide. I wonder why that is tho... I mean I've heard it called the flagship school of the US system.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm

We are #1! Not academically, or in lay prestige... just where it matters most :lol:

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:We are #1! Not academically, or in lay prestige... just where it matters most :lol:

I love your mascot. Looks like a mix of the Frootloops bird and the Red Robin mascot.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 pm

D Brooks wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.


Mehhhh... Princeton > Harvard, IMO.


Not in worldwide prestige... I mean, C'mon. Reeeeallly?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:18 pm

My undergrad had a pretty quality D3 women's hockey team... :roll:

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:19 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:We are #1! Not academically, or in lay prestige... just where it matters most :lol:

I love your mascot. Looks like a mix of the Frootloops bird and the Red Robin mascot.


Not to mention it's a mythical bird. Actually the Jayhawks were the freedom fighters in Kansas trying to make sure we were a free state... hence the nickname "The Freestate"

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby 02082010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.


Mehhhh... Princeton > Harvard, IMO.


Not in worldwide prestige... I mean, C'mon. Reeeeallly?

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:21 pm

D Brooks wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:This conversation is sooooo dumb. It's a glorified "my dad can beat up your dad" argument. All of these schools are amazing... Harvard is obviously the clear #1 worldwide but after that, it's a wash.


Mehhhh... Princeton > Harvard, IMO.


Not in worldwide prestige... I mean, C'mon. Reeeeallly?


didn't that study show that more UG kids pick H over P when choosing college?

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:My undergrad had a pretty quality D3 women's hockey team... :roll:


You just don't understand what it's like to win a national championship.

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by rockchalk86 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Oskie sucks.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Mehhhh... Princeton > Harvard, IMO.

Not in worldwide prestige... I mean, C'mon. Reeeeallly?

didn't that study show that more UG kids pick H over P when choosing college?

blatant anti-jersey trolling

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Prestige whoring might be a lame excuse, but I would definitely believe that Chicago does it. It would help explain my WL.

Is a 171 3.9 from Crapville State worse than a 168 3.68 from Stanford?

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Is a 171 3.9 from Crapville State worse than a 168 3.68 from Stanford?

They waitlisted Crackberry (170/~3.9). Who knows what Chicago's up to.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:32 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Is a 171 3.9 from Crapville State worse than a 168 3.68 from Stanford?

They waitlisted Crackberry (170/~3.9). Who knows what Chicago's up to.

Probably lurked him from TLS and saw he got into stanford. :lol:

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:32 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Is a 171 3.9 from Crapville State worse than a 168 3.68 from Stanford?

They waitlisted Crackberry (170/~3.9). Who knows what Chicago's up to.

They also WLed BioE, who has been admitted to Yale.

Also, JGG - you haven't been officially WLed yet.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:32 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Prestige whoring might be a lame excuse, but I would definitely believe that Chicago does it. It would help explain my WL.

Is a 171 3.9 from Crapville State worse than a 168 3.68 from Stanford?


Maybe it's less Stanford and more you went to crapville state? There is a difference between prestige whoring and looking down at a seriously shit school.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby los blancos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Chicago seems to like my UG so I'm cautiously optimistic

User avatar
dudester
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby dudester » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 pm

los blancos wrote:Chicago seems to like my UG so I'm cautiously optimistic


Penn?

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 pm

we will all discover if Chicago prestige whores when I get my decision, no worries.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, brinicolec, Cjsanders2 and 13 guests