U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gotmilk?

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:53 pm

caved wrote:
managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
I just hope there were people who looked down on you for taking a year off after high school. If that's all I knew about a person, I might suspect they weren't exactly "going places." Having a super-perfect GPA from friggin' Stanford and a 99.9999999th percentile score on the LSAT is a decent situation to end up in.

There definitely were such people. If it were all I knew about someone, I would also not think much of their motivation, etc. I had no choice, however, since I had no acceptances from my first cycle.

Now, I must admit that I am enjoying the process of proving all of their doubts and suspicions wrong. It's a very rewarding feeling.

I think the problem might still be that it's a little hard to understand how your UG app experience was traumatizing if you ultimately got into Stanford, one of the most selective schools in the country and one that many would kill to go to, regardless of what may have happened along the way... I just hope by referring to it as your only "top level" acceptance you don't mean only acceptance within HPYS.

this. as someone who had a solid SAT and GPA w/ very strong softs but did not get accepted anywhere but a crappy LAC safety school (and i applied early to stanford, my dream school, to get deferred and then rejected), i must admit that this doesn't make me feel particularly good.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I've heard grade inflation is ridick-a-liss at Stanford. Like a 3.6 median or something?

The Kim Jong illest

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:17 pm

VoidSix wrote:I've heard grade inflation is ridick-a-liss at Stanford. Like a 3.6 median or something?

I've heard stories from Harvard students of professors saying "this is a C paper" before writing down "A" as their grade. The top tier is corrupt.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:06 pm

VoidSix wrote:I've heard grade inflation is ridick-a-liss at Stanford. Like a 3.6 median or something?

No doubt. Engineering/math/CS students get low grades though. It's only us humanities types (and law school hopefuls) who have absurdly inflated GPAs. My high school was WAY WAY harder than Stanford.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:59 pm

crackberry wrote:

No doubt. Engineering/math/CS students get low grades though. It's only us humanities types (and law school hopefuls) who have absurdly inflated GPAs. My high school was WAY WAY harder than Stanford.

your high school was harder than stanford? absurd! no wonder you and managamy have 3.9's, etc. oh man, should have gone there.

so actually, i think top tier inflates eng/math/CS grades too, except that since the top half of those classes are basically autistic super-introverts, the normal students end up really shafted. this is my understanding from HYP, anyway.

OH and my chicago bit is that i was there this past weekend and it was WAY cold. that is all.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm

georgina wrote:
crackberry wrote:

your high school was harder than stanford? absurd! no wonder you and managamy have 3.9's, etc. oh man, should have gone there.

so actually, i think top tier inflates eng/math/CS grades too, except that since the top half of those classes are basically autistic super-introverts, the normal students end up really shafted. this is my understanding from HYP, anyway.

OH and my chicago bit is that i was there this past weekend and it was WAY cold. that is all.

Part of the reason I say that is that half the kids at Stanford are math/science geeks who don't know how to form a sentence properly. Those kids would blow me out of the water in a CS class or whatever, but if you put a competent 8th grader in a room with one and ask them to write an essay, you'd be surprised at whose essay was better.

And because someone like me can graduate without taking more than 1 or 2 math/science-y courses, I can get consistently good grades.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:45 pm

crackberry wrote:

+a lot. College was soooooooooooo much easier than high school. I believe that the median is around 3.65, including the science students. Still, LSAC gives schools the applicant's %ile in relation to other LS applicants from your UG institution, so it should somewhat compensate for any distorting factors.

It's easy to say that everything turned out beautifully in retrospect, but at the time I was quite worried. Nobody whom I knew had needed to apply a second time. Of course, I am very happy with the turn that events took; I didn't mean to give a contrary impression.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

+a lot. College was soooooooooooo much easier than high school. I believe that the median is around 3.65, including the science students. Still, LSAC gives schools the applicant's %ile in relation to other LS applicants from your UG institution, so it should somewhat compensate for any distorting factors.

It's easy to say that everything turned out beautifully in retrospect, but at the time I was quite worried. Nobody whom I knew had needed to apply a second time. Of course, I am very happy with the turn that events took; I didn't mean to give a contrary impression.

Fascinating conversation. I thought high school was easy-moderate. I had perfect grades with what I would consider a lackluster work ethic. I think a lot of my habits became so ingrained that I carried them over to college, where an effort level ranging from comparable to significantly more [than HS] earned me a frustrating 3.6.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:54 pm

The median GPA at my state university for my English major class is a 3.13 and my other liberal arts major is a 2.95.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:56 pm

VoidSix wrote:The median GPA at my state university for my English major class is a 3.13 and my other liberal arts major is a 2.95.

How do you feel about college being hard or easy?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:57 pm

VoidSix wrote:The median GPA at my state university for my English major class is a 3.13 and my other liberal arts major is a 2.95.

yeah my not-so-hot GPA was the highest in my major. yay state school?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:58 pm

caved wrote:
managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
I just hope there were people who looked down on you for taking a year off after high school. If that's all I knew about a person, I might suspect they weren't exactly "going places." Having a super-perfect GPA from friggin' Stanford and a 99.9999999th percentile score on the LSAT is a decent situation to end up in.

There definitely were such people. If it were all I knew about someone, I would also not think much of their motivation, etc. I had no choice, however, since I had no acceptances from my first cycle.

Now, I must admit that I am enjoying the process of proving all of their doubts and suspicions wrong. It's a very rewarding feeling.

I think the problem might still be that it's a little hard to understand how your UG app experience was traumatizing if you ultimately got into Stanford, one of the most selective schools in the country and one that many would kill to go to, regardless of what may have happened along the way... I just hope by referring to it as your only "top level" acceptance you don't mean only acceptance within HPYS.

+Columbia, where I ED'ed. They dinged me without even deferring me.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 pm

All levels of school are easy, except middle school. I was fat.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 am

kittenmittons wrote:All levels of school are easy, except middle school. I was fat.

I'm not denying that it's worse for fat kids, but I think middle school sucks for everyone. I still get scared at the sight of 13 year old girls. So mean!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:01 am

ontologyfail wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:All levels of school are easy, except middle school. I was fat.

I'm not denying that it's worse for fat kids, but I think middle school sucks for everyone. I still get scared at the sight of 13 year old girls. So mean!

Yeah. This is true. I know about 5 kids who liked middle school and for each of them it's been downhill ever since.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 am

kittenmittons wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

Yeah. This is true. I know about 5 kids who liked middle school and for each of them it's been downhill ever since.

This is why I let acquaintances friend me on facebook. I feel much better about never being asked to the dances when I can actually see side by side comparisons of how life has turned out. 'living in france waiting to hear back from law schools' vs 'living in the suburbs with 2 not so cute kids and a mediocre job'. I win.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:49 am

ontologyfail wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

This is why I let acquaintances friend me on facebook. I feel much better about never being asked to the dances when I can actually see side by side comparisons of how life has turned out. 'living in france waiting to hear back from law schools' vs 'living in the suburbs with 2 not so cute kids and a mediocre job'. I win.

Love it. But lets keep this in perspective. Further down the road, your loser acquaintances are going to be home by 5:15, getting to see their kids in plays, sports etc... While we will be working until god knows when, and feeling irresponsible if we decide to pro create or marry because we know the majority of our time will not be spent with our family. I would take the latter. Mess around until I'm forty and then start a family when I have the time to spend with them.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:58 am

Under Review 12/8. Went complete 10/16.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Oh, I didn't even realize. My file went under review on 11/25.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:08 pm

thalassocrat wrote:Under Review 12/8. Went complete 10/16.

They've made decisions on all the ED apps then? If another set of RD ppl are under review?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 pm

thalassocrat wrote:Under Review 12/8. Went complete 10/16.

Went complete 10/13, now under review.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:30 pm

violaboy wrote:Oh, I didn't even realize. My file went under review on 11/25.

+1

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:35 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
violaboy wrote:Oh, I didn't even realize. My file went under review on 11/25.

+1

WHERE IS MY ED DECISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL ME NO SO I CAN STOP TORTURING MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!

--ImageRemoved--

woah. i was really hungry but now not so much.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

maggiebre wrote:= kid who had maybe the worst middle school experience ever
boo_pragmatism wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I was wondering where my Lady Gaga-costume eye-liner went.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”