U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby ClemCarter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
crackberry wrote:Chicago is relatively conservative and leans more toward BigLaw than any other T6 except maybe Columbia.


When you say "Chicago," who do you mean? Faculty? Students? How does a school "lean"?

Faculty. I don't know how this rubs off on the students.

And a higher percentage of Chicago grads go into BigLaw than any other T6 except maybe Columbia.

Consequently, my PI-focused PS and thinly veiled liberalism might have rubbed them the wrong way.


Chicago has a pretty small class size, so its proportion of BigLaw-bound grads may be misleading (esp vis-a-vis CLS). And I don't really understand how perceived faculty politics (are you referring to the Law and Econ specialists?) would impact admissions. I don't think the faculty reviews applicants.

Not trying to be devil's advocate; I'm just also PI-oriented and got in during the first wave with so-so numbers.

(Also very defensive about stereotypes about Chicago conservatism.)

amidea
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby amidea » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:34 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:I was a 2/4 UR, I know two people with last names B and C who were called around 3


I'm also B.

hopefulincal
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby hopefulincal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:35 pm

kbo026 wrote:In!!! 173/3.5! :D :D


Yes!! This gives me hope!!

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby lawyering » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:35 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
crackberry wrote:Chicago is relatively conservative and leans more toward BigLaw than any other T6 except maybe Columbia.


When you say "Chicago," who do you mean? Faculty? Students? How does a school "lean"?

Faculty. I don't know how this rubs off on the students.

And a higher percentage of Chicago grads go into BigLaw than any other T6 except maybe Columbia.

Consequently, my PI-focused PS and thinly veiled liberalism might have rubbed them the wrong way.


Chicago has a pretty small class size, so its proportion of BigLaw-bound grads may be misleading (esp vis-a-vis CLS). And I don't really understand how perceived faculty politics (are you referring to the Law and Econ specialists?) would impact admissions. I don't think the faculty reviews applicants.

Not trying to be devil's advocate; I'm just also PI-oriented and got in during the first wave with so-so numbers.

(Also very defensive about stereotypes about Chicago conservatism.)



I think you're right that it is a stereotype, which may or may not be completely valid right now. Most of the top schools are leaning pretty liberal right now, from what I can tell. However, class size shouldn't have an effect on proportions, no?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:36 pm

ClemCarter wrote:Chicago has a pretty small class size, so its proportion of BigLaw-bound grads may be misleading (esp vis-a-vis CLS). And I don't really understand how perceived faculty politics (are you referring to the Law and Econ specialists?) would impact admissions. I don't think the faculty reviews applicants.

Not trying to be devil's advocate; I'm just also PI-oriented and got in during the first wave with so-so numbers.

(Also very defensive about stereotypes about Chicago conservatism.)

Compare Chicago to "peer" (I use this term loosely) schools like HYS, NYU, Berkeley. All those schools - including places like Yale and Stanford with similarly small class sizes - send a higher percentage of their graduates into non-BigLaw jobs. Even if you compare it to MVP, Chicago sends a more kids to BigLaw when adjusted for class size.

User avatar
ValiantVic
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Anyone under review 1/30 get in? Me thinks this doesn't bode well...

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:40 pm

bah. missed phone call from 'unknown' number (outside of us, so all american numbers are 'unknown' on my us cell). no message. bah

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby lawyering » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm in!! Got the call JUST now. last name T-Z, 170/3.97 :D

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:44 pm

crackberry wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:Chicago has a pretty small class size, so its proportion of BigLaw-bound grads may be misleading (esp vis-a-vis CLS). And I don't really understand how perceived faculty politics (are you referring to the Law and Econ specialists?) would impact admissions. I don't think the faculty reviews applicants.

Not trying to be devil's advocate; I'm just also PI-oriented and got in during the first wave with so-so numbers.

(Also very defensive about stereotypes about Chicago conservatism.)

Compare Chicago to "peer" (I use this term loosely) schools like HYS, NYU, Berkeley. All those schools - including places like Yale and Stanford with similarly small class sizes - send a higher percentage of their graduates into non-BigLaw jobs. Even if you compare it to MVP, Chicago sends a more kids to BigLaw when adjusted for class size.


Epic anti Columbia trolling.

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

I sent an important addendum to every school 12 days ago, and received a confirmation e-mail within 48 hours from every school, except Chicago. Finally, after 12 days, I received an e-mail from Chicago admissions, which was the epitome of anti-climatic. "Got it." Thanks, UC.

wishfulnyc
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby wishfulnyc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Anybody UR 1/11 --> 2/4 have good news??

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:Chicago has a pretty small class size, so its proportion of BigLaw-bound grads may be misleading (esp vis-a-vis CLS). And I don't really understand how perceived faculty politics (are you referring to the Law and Econ specialists?) would impact admissions. I don't think the faculty reviews applicants.

Not trying to be devil's advocate; I'm just also PI-oriented and got in during the first wave with so-so numbers.

(Also very defensive about stereotypes about Chicago conservatism.)

Compare Chicago to "peer" (I use this term loosely) schools like HYS, NYU, Berkeley. All those schools - including places like Yale and Stanford with similarly small class sizes - send a higher percentage of their graduates into non-BigLaw jobs. Even if you compare it to MVP, Chicago sends a more kids to BigLaw when adjusted for class size.


Epic anti Columbia trolling.

Nah, see my earlier post where I established that Columbia is maybe the only T10 that places a higher % into BigLaw than Chicago. I left it out of this post on purpose for that reason.

User avatar
natalie123
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby natalie123 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm

In!! Stats are in my profile. I really wanted this one... :mrgreen:

User avatar
opus127
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby opus127 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Congratulations to everyone getting calls today!

If they're going alphabetically, it looks like I'm not on the call list. :|

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:Chicago has a pretty small class size, so its proportion of BigLaw-bound grads may be misleading (esp vis-a-vis CLS). And I don't really understand how perceived faculty politics (are you referring to the Law and Econ specialists?) would impact admissions. I don't think the faculty reviews applicants.

Not trying to be devil's advocate; I'm just also PI-oriented and got in during the first wave with so-so numbers.

(Also very defensive about stereotypes about Chicago conservatism.)

Compare Chicago to "peer" (I use this term loosely) schools like HYS, NYU, Berkeley. All those schools - including places like Yale and Stanford with similarly small class sizes - send a higher percentage of their graduates into non-BigLaw jobs. Even if you compare it to MVP, Chicago sends a more kids to BigLaw when adjusted for class size.


Epic anti Columbia trolling.

Nah, see my earlier post where I established that Columbia is maybe the only T10 that places a higher % into BigLaw than Chicago. I left it out of this post on purpose for that reason.


Damn. Would have been some good trolling though.

Also Berkeley isn't a Chicago peer. Only in USNWR land is that true.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:50 pm

In!! : D

Stats in profile/LSN. UR 1/11

In CA as well

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Complete on 2/4!

I'm an auto-reject (3.66/168), but I'm excited nonetheless.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:51 pm

I fear those with application received dates in late December/early January are WL bound (with >= medians). On the other hand, congrats to all the admits. :).

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby blue5385 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:52 pm

The admitted splitters on this thread make me happy. But Chicago, please don't fill up all your splitter spots before you even get a chance to look at my app. :(

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far today!!

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Damn. Would have been some good trolling though.

Also Berkeley isn't a Chicago peer. Only in USNWR land is that true.

True. Neither are MVP, but I was just trying to prove a point.

seamonkey
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby seamonkey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Also Berkeley isn't a Chicago peer. Only in USNWR land is that true.


Berkeley > Chicago? Or Chicago > Berkeley? (Where "greater than" equals "better than.")

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:53 pm

seamonkey wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Also Berkeley isn't a Chicago peer. Only in USNWR land is that true.


Berkeley > Chicago? Or Chicago > Berkeley? (Where "greater than" equals "better than.")

He is arguing that Chicago > Berkeley (and that Chicago > NYU probably).

TXDeac
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby TXDeac » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I got a call from them but didn't answer and listened to the voicemail. They just said (basically), "Hey, this call is for *lol*, we're wanting to update you on your admissions status. Please see e-mail, and call us if you have questions."

Odd? I assume it's a waitlist or something of the sort.
Last edited by TXDeac on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby tamlyric » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 pm

natalie123 wrote:In!! Stats are in my profile. I really wanted this one... :mrgreen:


congrats! :D

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Delete your name dude.

Also, you're in.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, jer0689, Pozzo, xn3345 and 29 guests