U Chicago 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tomhobbes

Bronze

Re: U Chicago 2010

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:As stated previously, it is completely up to Managamy to see whether or not he gets accepted at a school even if he has no intention to attend.

But he also has very low self-esteem or SOMETHING that he needs constant self-validation.

I mean, that is pretty obvious when he brags about GPA (blah blah I've got a 4.0+ in all my 13 quarters or whatever he said).. and when you're on your THIRD cycle after getting a Stanford acceptance in a previous one. (Not to mention applying to schools you have no intention to go to even with a full ride)

With this being said.. I don't think managamy is a bad person. I just think he believes the world revolves around him. (see: most popular dude on campus for getting into harvard)
Wait, this is his third cycle? What the hell?

I know it might be tough, but could you point me towards where he made some of these posts? This is unbelievable.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 pm

It's in one of these types of threads.. I'm not sure where.

It puzzled me though because he's still in UG.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:As stated previously, it is completely up to Managamy to see whether or not he gets accepted at a school even if he has no intention to attend.

But he also has very low self-esteem or SOMETHING that he needs constant self-validation.

I mean, that is pretty obvious when he brags about GPA (blah blah I've got a 4.0+ in all my 13 quarters or whatever he said).. and when you're on your THIRD cycle after getting a Stanford acceptance in a previous one. (Not to mention applying to schools you have no intention to go to even with a full ride)

With this being said.. I don't think managamy is a bad person. I just think he believes the world revolves around him. (see: most popular dude on campus for getting into harvard)
+1, although there is a fine line between being a bad person and thinking the world revolves around you. Moral development is a funny thing this way.

More generally, and not in response to JGG, I think it's important to note the difference between two ideas: (i) having the right to do something and (ii) something being the right thing to do. There are lots of things that one might have the right to do that are clearly not the right things to do under the circumstances. Presumably, this is the point Managamy's critics, myself included, are making. In any case, if Managamy is indeed a real person (and not a flame) really saying and doing these things, then I think we might be wise to tone down the personal attacks. That is to say, supposing the narcissism is in fact the product of insecurity, I suspect that compassion is a more appropriate attitude to take than (say) scorn. Fwiw.

Luv,

- TL

P.S. Jumps off soap box.
Last edited by tamlyric on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:35 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

I know it might be tough, but could you point me towards where he made some of these posts? This is unbelievable.
It's not his third cycle. I'm not sure what that comment meant, but it's definitely his first cycle.

Also, if I were still at Stanford and my friends found out I got into, say, Harvard, they'd ridicule me for being a nerd.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

It's not his third cycle. I'm not sure what that comment meant, but it's definitely his first cycle.

Also, if I were still at Stanford and my friends found out I got into, say, Harvard, they'd ridicule me for being a nerd.
People going to Stanford are allowed to call others nerds?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm

booboo wrote: People going to Stanford are allowed to call others nerds?
I think it's a "takes one to know one" kind of thing. :P

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:40 pm

booboo wrote:
crackberry wrote:Also, if I were still at Stanford and my friends found out I got into, say, Harvard, they'd ridicule me for being a nerd.
Haha well one of my absolute favorite things to do when we play other schools (particularly USC) in football is to heckle the opposing fans and call them nerds. They are so dumbfounded: "No! Wait what?! You're the nerd!!" It's awesome.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:41 pm

crackberry wrote:
booboo wrote:
crackberry wrote:Also, if I were still at Stanford and my friends found out I got into, say, Harvard, they'd ridicule me for being a nerd.
Haha well one of my absolute favorite things to do when we play other schools (particularly USC) in football is to heckle the opposing fans and call them nerds. They are so dumbfounded: "No! Wait what?! You're the nerd!!" It's awesome.
This makes sense. Only Stanford.

Hehe. :).

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:51 pm

booboo wrote:
crackberry wrote:
booboo wrote:
This makes sense. Only Stanford.

Hehe. :).
Yeah, you know, FWIW, I think Stanford is a different sort of "hyper-elite" school than Harvard or Yale or MIT or Princeton or what have you. You've got so many D1 and Olympic athletes floating around that the school has a completely different vibe than its East Coast peers. There are undoubtedly traditional "nerds" at Stanford (I think managamy falls into this category, and I don't mean that as a compliment or a slight), but there are also a lot of people afflicted with the Stanford Duck Syndrome — those who exhibit the appearance of calm but who are paddling like mad beneath the surface to stay afloat.

Whereas at HYP, I get the sense that it's "cool" to outwardly study all the time, at Stanford people try to hide how much they study from everyone else. Sort of strange and I realize it may sound bad, but I sorta dug it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:56 pm

tamlyric wrote:+1, although there is a fine line between being a bad person and thinking the world revolves around you. Moral development is a funny thing this way.

More generally, and not in response to JGG, I think it's important to note the difference between two ideas: (i) having the right to do something and (ii) something being the right thing to do. There are lots of things that one might have the right to do that are clearly not the right things to do under the circumstances. Presumably, this is the point Managamy's critics, myself included, are making. In any case, if Managamy is indeed a real person (and not a flame) really saying and doing these things, then I think we might be wise to tone down the personal attacks. That is to say, supposing the narcissism is in fact the product of insecurity, I suspect that compassion is a more appropriate attitude to take than (say) scorn. Fwiw.

Luv,

- TL

P.S. Jumps off soap box.
--ImageRemoved--

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:58 am

Dear all,

The first thing that you will probably say upon reading this post is that I couldn't stand the self-imposed exile that I inflicted upon myself for more than a day or so. You're welcome to laugh about it, but I am going to explain why I am considering ending it.

Following a highly rewarding and generally eye-opening conversation with tomhobbes (who was kind enough to spend the time talking through matters), I have decided to withdraw from the remaining schools that have not notified me as of this point. (PM me if you want the list or have related questions.) Fortunately, I had not sent the essay to Chicago at this point, so I don't need to contact them and tell them to forget about it.

If you want me to stop posting in any threads except the "In at..." threads, just let me know. And if you still want me to shut up and leave completely, that's fine too. Anyway, I hope that some of you are happy to hear this news.

If I do continue to post, I promise that there will be a) no more sarcastic posts in the BP thread and b) no more gloating posts in the school threads.

Thanks,
M

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:02 am

Congrats again man, I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:05 am

tomhobbes wrote:Congrats again man, I'm sure you're doing the right thing.
Wow +1. Classy post, managamy.

You are clearly a very smart dude and one who has worked very hard to get where you are today. While I myself have questioned your motivations at times, I am heartened to read your latest post and have no doubt that you will succeed wherever you end up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 am

managamy wrote:Dear all,

The first thing that you will probably say upon reading this post is that I couldn't stand the self-imposed exile that I inflicted upon myself for more than a day or so. You're welcome to laugh about it, but I am going to explain why I am considering ending it.

Following a highly rewarding and generally eye-opening conversation with tomhobbes (who was kind enough to spend the time talking through matters), I have decided to withdraw from the remaining schools that have not notified me as of this point. (PM me if you want the list or have related questions.) Fortunately, I had not sent the essay to Chicago at this point, so I don't need to contact them and tell them to forget about it.

If you want me to stop posting in any threads except the "In at..." threads, just let me know. And if you still want me to shut up and leave completely, that's fine too. Anyway, I hope that some of you are happy to hear this news.

If I do continue to post, I promise that there will be a) no more sarcastic posts in the BP thread and b) no more gloating posts in the school threads.

Thanks,
M
I don't think the problem was really keeping the applications open. You put time and effort into your applications and are welcome to keep them open to an extent of your liking. However, making posts about going out of your way to get into a school (and, perhaps, take away a significant scholarship from someone who might consider it) when you have no intention of attending, and labeling it as "tricking" the school, is inappropriate as you have probably realized. You shouldn't withdraw your apps because others tell you to do so, and you shouldn't stop posting because of backlash from a few misguided posts. However, it is in your best interests (someone on TLS will probably find out who you are IRL at some point) to not burn bridges with stupid and senseless actions and a manifested bravado which is quite possibly unwarranted.

I do hope, at least, that something has come of this incident and that all of us 0L's have recognized this microcosm of the kinds of shockwaves that can be sent through the (sometimes all too small) legal community.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 am

crackberry wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Congrats again man, I'm sure you're doing the right thing.
Wow +1. Classy post, managamy.

You are clearly a very smart dude and one who has worked very hard to get where you are today. While I myself have questioned your motivations at times, I am heartened to read your latest post and have no doubt that you will succeed wherever you end up.
This. I have avoided weighing in on this situation throughout my time on TLS, and will continue to avoid engaging in the particulars. Managamy, I hope you are still thrilled with your remaining options, and you should be. This process is a bitch, and we all get heated about it. I hope that for all of our sakes, we step back from this once in LS.

Thankfully, almost all of us (myself excepted, since my damn SN is too close to my last name to remain secret) are anonymous, and we'll be able to start classes this fall working together rather than continuing petty dramas that we've had throughout the application process.

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:13 am

The whole saga has been quite a learning lesson, although one not unfamiliar to message boards in general, imho. However, props to Managamy and Tomhobbes for working it out. Good luck in your choice wherever you go.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:19 am

managamy wrote:If I do continue to post, I promise that there will be a) no more sarcastic posts in the BP thread and b) no more gloating posts in the school threads.

Thanks,
M

You can stay. :mrgreen:
Congrats on your cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 am

crackberry wrote:Whereas at HYP, I get the sense that it's "cool" to outwardly study all the time, at Stanford people try to hide how much they study from everyone else. Sort of strange and I realize it may sound bad, but I sorta dug it.

Holy hell I'm jealous of this type of environment. I go to one of the two Chicago elites and I have a roommate who literally spends every waking moment in the library. I know people that basically let Orgo dominate a year of their lives and flaunt it.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses and for being able to to move on from the controversy. I hope that all of us have learned something from it, as I certainly have.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:47 am

managamy wrote:Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses and for being able to to move on from the controversy. I hope that all of us have learned something from it, as I certainly have.
To be frank, when you aren't talking about acceptances and the such, your posts are funny at times. I enjoy reading some of your remarks.

Hope to see you on here.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 am

My LSN profile is visible again (and revised), too, in case people want to contact me on that site. Just letting you know!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am

I for one am saddened by Managamy's new found grace. I am happy you are doing the right thing, but can you at least keep the attitude? You were hysterical. If not, this board just became a little more dull.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:44 am

managamy wrote:Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses and for being able to to move on from the controversy. I hope that all of us have learned something from it, as I certainly have.
Love, love, love. Congrats on a most amazing cycle, managamy. :mrgreen:

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 am

Well let's all just hold hands and sing around the campfire together, then. Better than bitching at each other about whether or not Georgetown still belongs in the T14 or not...

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 am

insidethetwenty wrote:Well let's all just hold hands and sing around the campfire together, then. Better than bitching at each other about whether or not Georgetown still belongs in the T14 or not...
Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVXfHZv50Y

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”