U Chicago 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Re: U Chicago 2010

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:41 am

It feels weird to write this, because for a long time I defended you as a nice guy. But Managamy, you need to be realistic with yourself.

You're aren't unlikeable because of your academic record. Plenty of people have as good or better scores than you (such as T14). You're unlikeable because of your ridiculous attitude that getting into Harvard makes you "popular" on campus and your need to ascertain your own achievements by showing a complete lack of humility. It doesn't take someone "with the same academic record" to like you, as you stated. I'm not even convinced you're as intelligent as other posters on this board. I don't agree that GPA and LSAT score--particularly at a school that hands out A+s like they're condoms at a health center--indicates how well a mind works in total. I'm almost certain that--unless you've been putting on a show on these boards all cycle--you won't make as good a lawyer as many posters. You certainly have less common sense, and you're certainly less humble.

Sure, you've earned the right to apply to Chicago and only withdraw when you see fit But you haven't earned the right to be a pompous ass and constantly reassure yourself of your intelligence by making comments such as "I don't even care if I am admitted, I just want to trick Chicago into not YPing me." Regardless of whether law school cycles are individual, it doesn't excuse you for having absolutely no filter, no respect for the schools you're applying to, and no ability to deal with your own blatant insecurities.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:15 am

VoidSix wrote:It feels weird to write this, because for a long time I defended you as a nice guy. But Managamy, you need to be realistic with yourself.

You're aren't unlikeable because of your academic record. Plenty of people have as good or better scores than you (such as T14). You're unlikeable because of your ridiculous attitude that getting into Harvard makes you "popular" on campus and your need to ascertain your own achievements by showing a complete lack of humility. It doesn't take someone "with the same academic record" to like you, as you stated. I'm not even convinced you're as intelligent as other posters on this board. I don't agree that GPA and LSAT score--particularly at a school that hands out A+s like they're condoms at a health center--indicates how well a mind works in total. I'm almost certain that--unless you've been putting on a show on these boards all cycle--you won't make as good a lawyer as many posters. You certainly have less common sense, and you're certainly less humble.

Sure, you've earned the right to apply to Chicago and only withdraw when you see fit But you haven't earned the right to be a pompous ass and constantly reassure yourself of your intelligence by making comments such as "I don't even care if I am admitted, I just want to trick Chicago into not YPing me." Regardless of whether law school cycles are individual, it doesn't excuse you for having absolutely no filter, no respect for the schools you're applying to, and no ability to deal with your own blatant insecurities.

+1. Except for the part about about not being as intelligent as other posters. I'm sure you're plently smart, but plenty full of yourself and lacking the kind of developed value system that should be a requirement to attend law school. However, I'm not too sure I wouldn't act the same in your position. Good luck wherever you go, but don't you feel guilty about not withdrawing from schools you will not attend? I know it bothers me sometimes, but I will withdraw from the schools as soon as there is no longer an incentive to not do so. What are you wating for?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:22 am

VoidSix wrote:particularly at a school that hands out A+s like they're condoms at a health center

Go Cardinal!!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:02 am

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:particularly at a school that hands out A+s like they're condoms at a health center

Go Cardinal!!

;) You know that one was for you. It was just a rumor in my mind until you and Managamy confirmed it.

whymanagamy

Postby whymanagamy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:22 am

I peruse this forum from time to time but I felt the need to finally make this account just to reiterate that people definitely have good reason to be annoyed by managamy. Being a smart person requires much more than GPA and LSAT, and from managamy's posts it is clear that he lacks several of these qualities. Congratulations on all your acceptances, managamy, but try not to be such an ass on TLS.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 am

I agree with managamy, because, bluntly, this is his application cycle and there is nothing wrong with his belt notching. Where I do not agree is where people like managamy come on to these boards and tell others of their belt notching desires. It only functions to discourage other people. Also, as I am sure anyone who has a semblance of intelligence and has been on this board before would know, posting in TLS about how feeling this particular way about your application process really only shows your wanton desire to cause grief to others such as the previous posters.

To the others, let it be. Convincing managamy of any error is like the Dems and GOP working together on health care, where, while it would be great, the ideological differences are too disparate for it to be realistically possible at this time.

:).

Edited for idiocy.
Last edited by booboo on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:36 am

booboo wrote:I agree with managamy, because, bluntly, this is his application cycle and he is doing nothing wrong with his belt notching.

Oh, you agree with him because he's doing nothing wrong. Okay.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:39 am

There is something severely wrong with someone who wants to get U of Chicago for bragging rights when they've already got YHS. It's not being an asshole, it is pathetic. U of C isn't impressive with a 4.1 178.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 am

tomhobbes wrote:
booboo wrote:I agree with managamy, because, bluntly, this is his application cycle and he is doing nothing wrong with his belt notching.

Oh, you agree with him because he's doing nothing wrong. Okay.

Yikes, sorry about that.

Also, funny that you kept my smilie in the quote. :).

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:01 am

damn, i popped back in wondering who else was going to ASW, instead i find this....... *grabs popcorn*

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 am

I've never had any direct communication with managamy, but from simply reading what he says - ie treating ls admissions as a notches on a belt exercise - I'm left to infer he either a) has no life or b) has sufficiently so little to validate his self esteem that ls admissions pretty much are the only "high fives" he gets.
So, really, in either case, I feel bad for him - even if he will probably get the wachtell offer over my ass one day.

If I was in his position, seeing how he can't even leverage merit money at yhs, id withdraw from all but those three and call it a cycle. And then I would promptly vacate this forum for six to eight months. Hth.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:33 am

VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Go Cardinal!!

;) You know that one was for you. It was just a rumor in my mind until you and Managamy confirmed it.

The hard part is getting in. It's that way at all of HYS (UG).

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:34 am

Jericwithers wrote:
thorntll wrote:Isn't that like saying that you would dislike you if you were any other person in the world except who you are?

I'm just glad he's going to Yale so I don't have to deal with his gunner attitude.

He claims to be going to Stanford or Harvard, not Yale.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 am

tintin wrote:damn, i popped back in wondering who else was going to ASW, instead i find this....... *grabs popcorn*

I'm going to the admitted students weekend! Though I am quite enjoying the show right now.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 am

thorntll wrote:
managamy wrote:
thorntll wrote:
Yeah, I hear you. And I don't think he's morally obligated to withdraw or anything. I actually don't give two shits if he withdraws, as long as he eventually withdraws from the school I'm going to (except he hasn't gotten in yet... ooohhh snap).

Don't worry, I'm definitely going to a school from the group that has already accepted me.

Then why are you applying for the Chicago scholarship?

+180. Thank you.

Why, Managamy?

THIS is why I said something in the first place. Managamy wrote an essay for a scholarship he admittedly has no intention of accepting.

And, LOL, he did so on a Saturday night, it seems.

[/any question of the existence of Managamy's non-TLS life]

I never questioned the man's right to do what he's doing. I just think that it's pathetic and bizzare.

Jas

Postby Jas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:43 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
managamy wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:So, of those who got the merit scholarship email...who else has already turned their essay in? :twisted:

I'm sending it in just a few hours. They're going to have a lot of emails on Monday, I think.

To be honest, though, I don't care whether I get the scholarship. I just want the acceptance and am trying to turn off that flashing-yellow YP light over my head.

Are you actually interested in going to Chicago or is this all an exercise to prop up your fragile sense of self-confidence?

+1; are you for real, Managamy? Do you realize that your actions affect others?

You know, if you had wanted Chicago that badly, you could have taken the plunge on ED. Then you wouldn't be in the same boat with people who could care less. I applied RD last year, flatly denied. I am in this year with ED. Think about it!

dudester

Postby dudester » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 am

Jas wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
managamy wrote:
I'm sending it in just a few hours. They're going to have a lot of emails on Monday, I think.

To be honest, though, I don't care whether I get the scholarship. I just want the acceptance and am trying to turn off that flashing-yellow YP light over my head.

Are you actually interested in going to Chicago or is this all an exercise to prop up your fragile sense of self-confidence?

+1; are you for real, Managamy? Do you realize that your actions affect others?

You know, if you had wanted Chicago that badly, you could have taken the plunge on ED. Then you wouldn't be in the same boat with people who could care less. I applied RD last year, flatly denied. I am in this year with ED. Think about it!

RC fail.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:19 pm

For anyone who got the waitlist email, I didn't see anything about turning in an updated resume. Do they want resumes? Or just transcripts, LOR's and LOCIs/Why Chicago's?

Postby 02082010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 pm

VoidSix wrote:It feels weird to write this, because for a long time I defended you as a nice guy. But Managamy, you need to be realistic with yourself.

:lol:

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:04 pm

hykang wrote:For anyone who got the waitlist email, I didn't see anything about turning in an updated resume. Do they want resumes? Or just transcripts, LOR's and LOCIs/Why Chicago's?

An updated transcript and/or an additional LOR. Also, an optional essay discussing the reasons why you are interested in studying law at Chicago.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
hykang wrote:For anyone who got the waitlist email, I didn't see anything about turning in an updated resume. Do they want resumes? Or just transcripts, LOR's and LOCIs/Why Chicago's?

An updated transcript and/or an additional LOR. Also, an optional essay discussing the reasons why you are interested in studying law at Chicago.

I got that part, but does that mean they do not want updated resumes?

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Probably not, or else they would have mentioned it. Although if it's something really worthwhile, I would definitely let them know.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:50 pm

hykang wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:

I got that part, but does that mean they do not want updated resumes?

I'm sure you can submit an updated resume. If they will accept additional LORs, LOCIs, transcripts and Why Chicagos, they'll be happy to take an updated resume. Don't stress over it.

eagles111

Postby eagles111 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:21 pm

My application was recieved on 12/29 but still hasnt gone complete but there is nothing on the "requirements list". I submitted 7 or 8 other apps on the same day/day before and they have all long since gone complete (most around 1/8-1/11) and ive gotten decisions from 3 (only in the last couple days). Is chicago just slow about acknowledging completes in general? Does anyone know whom I should email if I want to get a response? sorry if this has been covered. i did a couple searches but didnt turn anything up and couldnt look through 100 pages of discussion. Thanks.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:20 pm

As stated previously, it is completely up to Managamy to see whether or not he gets accepted at a school even if he has no intention to attend.

But he also has very low self-esteem or SOMETHING that he needs constant self-validation.

I mean, that is pretty obvious when he brags about GPA (blah blah I've got a 4.0+ in all my 13 quarters or whatever he said).. and when you're on your THIRD cycle after getting a Stanford acceptance in a previous one. (Not to mention applying to schools you have no intention to go to even with a full ride)

With this being said.. I don't think managamy is a bad person. I just think he believes the world revolves around him. (see: most popular dude on campus for getting into harvard)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”