U Chicago 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockchalk86

Silver

Re: U Chicago 2010

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 am

I remember someone saying monday is a decision day for Chicago... is this true?

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:38 am

Yay, Scholarship notifications starting tomorrow!

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Yay, Scholarship notifications starting tomorrow!
:shock:

sigh I have to finish that essay and stupid need access. does chicago also require a fafsa or just need access?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 am

puppins wrote:

sigh I have to finish that essay and stupid need access. does chicago also require a fafsa or just need access?
ugh need access. i haven't even begun to look at it.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 am

gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:

it's so terrible. no one is spared, not even the children.

also they ask you to estimate 2010 figures. ummmmmm wtf, do I LOOK clairvoyant?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 am

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:

Kind of!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

A couple questions for you guys:

1. What is the soonest that one can reasonably expect a decision from Chicago after going under review? I'm UR 1/26--any shot at a phone call from Dean Perry at some point next week?

2. Is it actually true, like people often say on here, that Chicago is stingy with merit and need based aid relative to peer schools? According to LSN, 64k is the most they are willing to cough up in grant money. Is this actually the case?

Sweet, thanks all.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

puppins wrote:

I know! I really wanted to just write "Your guess is as good as mine!"

I dont believe they require a FAFSA. But you will need to fill one out if you want Stafford or other federal loans

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
puppins wrote:

I know! I really wanted to just write "Your guess is as good as mine!"

I dont believe they require a FAFSA. But you will need to fill one out if you want Stafford or other federal loans
so am i correct in understanding that chicago won't give you any money at all until you've filled out need access?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

Wait-- sorry if I'm being dense, or missed something, but how do you/we know this?

(Is it just cause Need Access is due today?)

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:58 am

gahthelaw wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote: I know! I really wanted to just write "Your guess is as good as mine!"

so am i correct in understanding that chicago won't give you any money at all until you've filled out need access?
I filled out a FAFSA already but didn't put chicago down as one of my schools because I started putting schools and then got distracted and just moved on to another section.

and gah, I think need access is JUST for need based, that they do merit without it? I don't know though. the scholarship email I got didn't mention the needaccess deadline being Feb. 1 (I discovered that here) and had a Feb. 15th deadline.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 am

parker09 wrote:
Wait-- sorry if I'm being dense, or missed something, but how do you/we know this?

They put it on their Twitter. PS: I love that Chicago twitters everything, I wish every law school did this.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:09 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
parker09 wrote:

They put it on their Twitter. PS: I love that Chicago twitters everything, I wish every law school did this.
All it says is after Feb 1. It could be tomorrow, a week, or even 2 months.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 am

parker09 wrote:

It's more vaguely implied than actually stated. (Unless 0L knows something I don't) As with decisions, admission packets, and so on, they mention on the Twitter feed that they will take whatever action after a certain date. In this case, releasing merit aid decisions after Feb 1.
puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote: I know! I really wanted to just write "Your guess is as good as mine!"

and gah, I think need access is JUST for need based, that they do merit without it? I don't know though. the scholarship email I got didn't mention the needaccess deadline being Feb. 1 (I discovered that here) and had a Feb. 15th deadline.
Yep, FAFSA is for government loans; needaccess is for need based aid from Chicago; neither form is required for merit based aid.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 am

rockchalk86 wrote: All it says is after Feb 1. It could be tomorrow, a week, or even 2 months.
Well the way it reads is they will start giving out decisions after the deadline, which I guess at face value could mean later than tomorrow, but when I spoke with them on the phone last week they said their committee was meeting last week and already had made some determinations and we will start getting emails this week.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am

talibkweli wrote:A couple questions for you guys:

1. What is the soonest that one can reasonably expect a decision from Chicago after going under review? I'm UR 1/26--any shot at a phone call from Dean Perry at some point next week?

2. Is it actually true, like people often say on here, that Chicago is stingy with merit and need based aid relative to peer schools? According to LSN, 64k is the most they are willing to cough up in grant money. Is this actually the case?

Sweet, thanks all.
help? please? two word answers would more than suffice.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 am

talibkweli wrote:

Sweet, thanks all.
1. No idea? I submitted my app months ago, have been UR forever, still no decision.

2. They don't have a full ride to my knowledge, but there were rumors that this "new" merit scholarship might be something along those lines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 am

1) i haven't heard anything and i've been under review since 1/13.

2) that's what i've heard too.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 am

talibkweli wrote:

Sweet, thanks all.
1. Not real sure. Those of us who did ED were at UR for a few weeks before we heard back, but that could be partially a function of waiting until the week before Xmas to start releasing decisions. IIRC, most of the people who were in the last decision batch were on their second UR date, again implying a few weeks at that status. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear. Still, this could change, or I could be wrong.

2. Chicago does have a bit of a reputation for being stingier with aid, but the recent email to people with more competitive numbers (like yours) implies that they'll be giving out sizable awards to people who might otherwise head to HYS. I don't know much about it; like most EDers, I had numbers good enough to get in, but not good enough to really expect any merit aid.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:43 am

OMG Chicago! It's been 15 weeks since I went complete!

Please accept me! I've waited soooo long... :(

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am

AND 9 weeks since I went "Under Review" for the first time!

On their website, they write "Generally, you may expect a decision within eight to ten weeks after your file is completed. Once the status of your application has changed to under review, it may still take an additional 6-8 weeks to receive your decision."

I guess this means I'm an anomaly? By the way, I haven't even gotten a scholarship e-mail request and so I'm not in that batch of people either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am

So we need to submit this Need Access stuff by today in order to get need-based aid, even if we haven't been accepted yet? I have to admit this has kind of taken me by surprise.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:57 am

Last edited by 02082010 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:58 am

Wait, I hope I haven't totally missed something, but I don't think I ever got notification that I had to do a scholarship essay. Is this something that only certain people have to do? I can't find anything on the admitted students website about it other than the special scholarships.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:59 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:puppins, don't you remember talib and I discussing his swift withdrawal from Chicago over in BP? Am I making that up in my head or did we have that explicit conversation? Is managamy a talib alt, or vice versa? Are these questions running through my head, can't think.
I thought he decided that he wasn't going to withdraw? I do remember the general convo.

sorry for me not withdrawing btw dude. I sort of need $$, you know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”